Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:34 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

I think if it were privately held, it would be regulated, like Amtrack (which I believe is privately owned but heavily regulated/subsidized). It would be owned privately but have enough restrictions on how much in case raise rates, etc, to protect the consumer, and it would free the city/state/fed from most of the burden (financial and otherwise) of running and maintaining the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 03:12 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,081 times
I assume the express bus unlimited cards will remain the same at 45 a week?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Remember one thing about the present regime at MTA: Jay Walder wasn't brought here to run a transit system. He was brought here as an axe-man. And if you think I have some kind of bias in this regard, I refer you to the London Underground, which was the stomping ground from which he was recruited. The subway in London isn't running particularly well these days, and fares have never been higher. This is Jay Walder's legacy.

And he might not have come to New York but for two important factors: one, the state guaranteed his pay, regardless of whether or not he gets fired. And two, there was a death threat against him in London--so New York's offer turned out to be incredibly convenient for him.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:11 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
There are some things that just wouldn't work well in private ownership. If the MTA infrastructure were owned privately, it would be more expensive and have poor service. That is because the owner would have a monopoly and little competition...nobody else is going to be able to build an alternative subway system.
I gave it some thought and I agree with you here. If the system were privatized, I believe the costs would surpass the quality of services rendered. Not only that, but the competitive alternatives (dollar vans) for example would be even more expensive considering the licensure costs, insurance, taxes, unions etc. Overall it would probably cost more per ride than what the MTA is charging now.

That being said, it seems like the only reasonable approach is to either 1) increase state spending (essentially increasing taxes) 2) cut services, and increase layoffs enough to affect the increase or 3) provide tax cuts to the MTA in the form of tax credits.

Any of the 3 choices would have a huge consequential impact to the public regardless of how the dice landed. The only real altenrative for some is to walk and bike more.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:49 PM
grant516

n/a posts
For once the MTA is doing exactly what they should- charging people who COST the most money on the system more to ride.

If the pending lawsuits that challenge the validity of the payroll tax come to hurt the MTA- we will see more and more and more cuts sooner than expected.

After a while we will have such minimal service we will wonder what the price tag is all for.

Even though it makes little to no sense, the only REAL solution without removing the system we have in place is complete and total federal takeover, and of course- using the rest of the countries money to manage a system that doesen't benefit them at all. Kind of like how the State currently operates the MTA with regards to only the people who live downstate.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think if it were privately held...
That's an interesting comment, because the original subway system in New York (Interborough Rapid Transit, a.k.a. the IRT) happened to be privately held. The city didn't actually take over the entire system until 1940...and then the city's stewardship was supplanted by MTA (a state agency) in 1965.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Remember one thing about the present regime at MTA: Jay Walder wasn't brought here to run a transit system. He was brought here as an axe-man. And if you think I have some kind of bias in this regard, I refer you to the London Underground, which was the stomping ground from which he was recruited. The subway in London isn't running particularly well these days, and fares have never been higher. This is Jay Walder's legacy.

And he might not have come to New York but for two important factors: one, the state guaranteed his pay, regardless of whether or not he gets fired. And two, there was a death threat against him in London--so New York's offer turned out to be incredibly convenient for him.
And I am sure there were multiple death threats against Jay "Bald Eagle" Walder over here also, lol. Once the new governor gives him the boot he will have to move outside of NYC....unless he plans on having 24/7 armed security.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
One thing I do agree with is charging for "NEW" MetroCards......I would have gone as far to Charge 5$ per New Card - To Cut down on waste...but with a few caveats...This would give the MTA some much needed cash by the 5$ plus they wouldn't need to produce so many metrocards.

1 - The 5$ fee would be void for those needing to Exchange a card either for malfunctioning or near/at expiration of the original card....but you must turn in the original Card to get the new one....The Machines need to be able to Transfer the balances to new cards while retaining the Old - this would keep the insane MetroCard Litter under control....Also transferring cards at the token booths would void the fee.

2 - The Unlimited Cards would become Refillable...No need for a new card everytime you purchase Unlimited rides.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
One thing I do agree with is charging for "NEW" MetroCards......I would have gone as far to Charge 5$ per New Card - To Cut down on waste...but with a few caveats...This would give the MTA some much needed cash by the 5$ plus they wouldn't need to produce so many metrocards.

1 - The 5$ fee would be void for those needing to Exchange a card either for malfunctioning or near/at expiration of the original card....but you must turn in the original Card to get the new one....The Machines need to be able to Transfer the balances to new cards while retaining the Old - this would keep the insane MetroCard Litter under control....Also transferring cards at the token booths would void the fee.

2 - The Unlimited Cards would become Refillable...No need for a new card everytime you purchase Unlimited rides.
I thought it was supposed to be a $1 fee to purchase a MetroCard. Where do you get $5 from? Also, all MetroCards have expiration dates on them (usually a little over a year). PLUS, MetroCards are very flimsy. If they want us to keep them as long as possible, they are going to have to beef them up and make them more sturdy like credit cards.

Right now the way it works is in order to get credit for a malfunctioning MetroCard, you cannot turn it in at a booth and receive a new one on the spot. Considering how they are trying to close as many booths as possible, I don't see this changing. You have to physically mail it into the MTA (you get an envelope and a questionnaire to mail in from a booth). Then, left with no MetroCard, you have to buy another one. So that rips off people who need to return malfunctioning cards right there. I have had to return countless MetroCards for malfunctions, particularly in cases where it's supposed to be a free transfer and I get charged again. As for doing the transfer entirely by machine, it may be possible for them to program it that way, but sometimes I have had problems where the actual MetroCard machine couldn't read the card I had.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
Default nyc

People, leave NYC now..flee this welfare state. 4 far hikes in 5 years and they still have no $$$$ ??? $7 to cross a bridge that will keep you inthe same city ????

I cant wait to leave NY..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City