Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:17 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

My SIL, who was from NJ but now lives in Florida, came up to the city to visit, and while she was here she took a few photos of yellow taxicabs in traffic. She said her husband, who was from Maryland, would see all the yellow cabs on TV shows and thought it was fake. He said there couldn't possibly be all those cabs in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 PM

483 posts, read 870,431 times
One day when walking around downtown Manhattan near Fulton Street, a Spanish couple asked me and gf what train could they take to the Statue of Liberty. (Que?) We simply directed them to get to Battery Park so they could find boat that was only way to Lady Liberty. They were an elderly couple, so we did not laugh at them... that hard.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
I'll never forget this: The first time we came to New York in 2000, I exited Penn Station with my dad on the escalator that leads to 7th Ave. My dad asks a police officer standing out there, "where's Madison Square Garden?" And this officer, smiling, said he didn't know and then took the opportunity to go over to his partner sitting in the car and asked him where Madison Square Garden was. They both laughed at my poor embarrassed dad before actually pointing it out, right freaking behind him. We didn't even need to go there, he just wanted to see it. The officer gave him a map though, at least.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:28 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I've had to explain what the lights on top of the yellow cabs meant a time or two for confused visitors.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:14 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
One day when walking around downtown Manhattan near Fulton Street, a Spanish couple asked me and gf what train could they take to the Statue of Liberty. (Que?) We simply directed them to get to Battery Park so they could find boat that was only way to Lady Liberty. They were an elderly couple, so we did not laugh at them... that hard.
Hehe, that reminds me of a day when some Russian tourists came up to us on Water Street and asked "which way to walk to the Statue of Liberty?", to which my friend sarcastically replied "She's in the water ya know!"

Old 10-09-2010, 06:16 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
That reminds me of the time my sister asked me "how the subway knows where we want to go". I had to explain to her the idea of different subway lines. She's never taken public transit if you couldn't tell.
Haha, that is hilarious.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times
I work in a hotel in midtown. We've got 30 floors and advertise that the rooms on higher floors have better views... as probably every hotel in the city does.

I had a very angry woman come back downstairs after checking into her suite on the 29th floor saying she wasn't happy with the room because I had promised her a room with a view. A bit confused, I told her I thought that room had a beautiful view (Chrysler AND Empire views). I asked what it was she didn't like.

She replied, "You promised me a room with a view, and all I can see is buildings everywhere."

Umm...?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post

She replied, "You promised me a room with a view, and all I can see is buildings everywhere."

Umm...?
You should of told her the famous NYC mountains where on vacation.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times
People would also be very annoyed that they had no views of Central Park. "I'm on the 30th floor but I can't even see the park." "Yes sir, I apologize but, umm, 15 blocks of skyscrapers between us and the park tend to have that effect."

Actually one of my colleagues would occasionally joke with guests saying that their room featured beautiful views of Central Park, the Statue of Liberty and the mountains. I mean come on people, when you're staying in the center of midtown Manhattan, what kind of view are you expecting!?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
One tourist came up to me and asked if I lived in the hood, and where could she find one. I had to laugh. I mean, after she left.
That's funny. Can you imagine even asking???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City