Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its definitely a quality of life issue.

More so than Bloombergs smoking & Soda bans

but that is the one thing that Bloomie is not interested in

" Quality of life"

he has never done a thing for the quality of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM

255 posts, read 475,566 times
311 isn't a joke. Trust me, it's most of those CALLS that's the joke. I live with someone who works for 311 and I hear about these hilarious and ridiculous calls all the time.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I called 311 three times for a huge branch that is hanging over 2nd ave in brooklyn, just waiting for a good wind to blow it off and down thru someones windshield, either causing an accidnet or killing someone.
i get the response back in the 8 days, someone was there to check it out and found nothing, so the case is closed.

But I call back and say the branch is still hanging there.
It looks like a huge wishbone, with no leaves on it, obviously it fell from a higher place on the tree and got stuck on a lower branch, thus hanging diretly over the street.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 13,363 times
Default junior member

yes it is a quality if life issue. Bloomberg has lost sight of this very issue. The noise level in most areas at night is intolerable even by NYC standards. And the issue of loud/obnoxious pets is far more of a problem than people think. People who own any type of animal should be aware of the noises eminating from it. But the lack if civility that prevents one from approaching such an individual is a big problem.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
311 isn't a joke. Trust me, it's most of those CALLS that's the joke. I live with someone who works for 311 and I hear about these hilarious and ridiculous calls all the time.
If nothing is being done about complaints its a joke.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but that is the one thing that Bloomie is not interested in

" Quality of life"

he has never done a thing for the quality of life

Yes he is a pompus dictator giving decrees while not listening to the majority' in this city.

The quality of life is down & so are our freedoms.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,771 times
Default HELP- anyone!

I don't know what to do after enduring more than 20 years of loud house parties on my block. I complain to the local Police Precinct, call 311, emailed the Mayor's office, video taped the parties and showed them to the local police and NOTHING HAS CHANGED. My neighborhood has been plagued by residents who have brought with them a tradition from their native country of playing calypso, soca, Indian music at all hours, with heavy bass, for DAYS ON END. Then there's the loud slapping of dominoes at all hours of the night and they cover up their yards with blue tarps so no one sees what they are doing. No need, since we hear them well after midnight, and they don't seem to care about anyone else's right to sleep. I was told by my neighbor that what i need to do is move because I am not from where they are from and they have the right to do what they want because "this is America". Despite the fact that I was born in NYC, lived here all my life, my neighbors think they have the right to completely behave like inconsiderate jerks. The worst part is that I can't count on my local precinct to do anything. Every time I call, regardless of the time, I'm always told that there aren't enough patrol cars on duty to respond and that I just have to deal with it until they have the time to respond. So far, after 20+ years of complaining about the ridiculous noise, I have never seen a party shut down or at least, a noise maker told to lower their music. As an example of what my local precinct is like, during the the Labor day weekend, several months ago, our neighbors blasted music on SIX club-sized speakers for 32 hours straight in their tiny back yard; the music was so loud, they were sitting outside, in front of their house, leaving their backyard empty. When I called my local precinct (106th- Qns), in tears, at 2 am, I was told to "move to a better neighborhood" and "blast your own music, especially at the beginning of the month when their welfare checks come in". I was rendered speechless by what I was told by the Police officer on the phone (have his name but won't write it on here) and I gave up, deciding to sleep in my car, with the husband and dog, since I had no where else to go. Has anyone on here had any success dealing with noisy neighbors? Is there a number I can call when 311 calls are ignored, even after the 8 hour mark? I ask because our next door neighbor is at it again right this very minute, and has been all morning and I predict with 100% certainty, all night too. We've complained directly to the neighbor but they ignore our pleas and continue blasting their music regardless.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,761 times
I live in Ridgewood and we have up stairs neighbors that blast music at all hours. (Fortunately its not usually late at night, the hipster kids that just moved in to the next building cover that base.) I've been dealing with the upstairs neighbors since we moved in in February. The landlords told us they play music sometimes and to just go up and ask them to be quiet or call them (the landlords.) We started out politely asking them to turn it down only to be met with blank stares. We tried calling the landlords, it gets turned down briefly. Within a couple hours it's back up. We've called 311. We all know what happens with that. I started going up and yelling, kicking the door, swearing. No positive result. I've carried their groceries up for them (its a family) made sure to say hello and smile all the time, been nice to their 16 year old son and his friends when they are out on the stoop all evening, and always made sure to thank them for turning down the music (when they do.) Nothing stops it.

When we first moved in, it was so loud that we couldn't hear our tv (with surround sound) over the bass, admittedly, it is rarely that loud anymore, but starting anywhere from 6:30 AM to 1AM (yeah, 6:30 AM) there can be music loud enough to wake you up, somebody hammering on something, repeatedly dropping large enough objects to shake the building, and screaming. Frequently. All throughout the day. Pretty much every day.

It came to a head a couple months ago when it was crazy loud at 10am on a Saturday, I went up and banged on the door, no one answered but they turned the music down, so I knocked again. They turned the music back up. My girlfriend went up a half hour later and knocked and some body yelled through the door "Suck my D***, B****!" The landlords were called. They came over, threatened to evict the family and they accused our landlords and all the other tenants in the building (who have ALL had problems with them.) of being racist and said just TRY and evict us and see what happens. There was a huge screaming fight that went on for a good 20 minutes between them.

Its very frustrating, our landlords seem scared to push the issue because there is a baby there and they don't want to put them out, but the rest of us who live in the building (6 units) basically all have to take turns asking or yelling at them to quiet down.

I'm not sure where to turn to be honest, we have a nice place, but it is really hard to live in it. I was woken up this morning at 9 by music. Couldn't hear my TV from 5-8 this evening because of music. And, you know that sound when your upstairs neighbors kick their shoes off onto the hardwood floor, or maybe when Dick Van Dyke trips over the ottoman? That's been going on every minute or two for the last half hour.

It makes you feel insane. It really does.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_name View Post
I live in Ridgewood and we have up stairs neighbors that blast music at all hours. (Fortunately its not usually late at night, the hipster kids that just moved in to the next building cover that base.) I've been dealing with the upstairs neighbors since we moved in in February. The landlords told us they play music sometimes and to just go up and ask them to be quiet or call them (the landlords.) We started out politely asking them to turn it down only to be met with blank stares. We tried calling the landlords, it gets turned down briefly. Within a couple hours it's back up. We've called 311. We all know what happens with that. I started going up and yelling, kicking the door, swearing. No positive result. I've carried their groceries up for them (its a family) made sure to say hello and smile all the time, been nice to their 16 year old son and his friends when they are out on the stoop all evening, and always made sure to thank them for turning down the music (when they do.) Nothing stops it.

When we first moved in, it was so loud that we couldn't hear our tv (with surround sound) over the bass, admittedly, it is rarely that loud anymore, but starting anywhere from 6:30 AM to 1AM (yeah, 6:30 AM) there can be music loud enough to wake you up, somebody hammering on something, repeatedly dropping large enough objects to shake the building, and screaming. Frequently. All throughout the day. Pretty much every day.

It came to a head a couple months ago when it was crazy loud at 10am on a Saturday, I went up and banged on the door, no one answered but they turned the music down, so I knocked again. They turned the music back up. My girlfriend went up a half hour later and knocked and some body yelled through the door "Suck my D***, B****!" The landlords were called. They came over, threatened to evict the family and they accused our landlords and all the other tenants in the building (who have ALL had problems with them.) of being racist and said just TRY and evict us and see what happens. There was a huge screaming fight that went on for a good 20 minutes between them.

Its very frustrating, our landlords seem scared to push the issue because there is a baby there and they don't want to put them out, but the rest of us who live in the building (6 units) basically all have to take turns asking or yelling at them to quiet down.

I'm not sure where to turn to be honest, we have a nice place, but it is really hard to live in it. I was woken up this morning at 9 by music. Couldn't hear my TV from 5-8 this evening because of music. And, you know that sound when your upstairs neighbors kick their shoes off onto the hardwood floor, or maybe when Dick Van Dyke trips over the ottoman? That's been going on every minute or two for the last half hour.

It makes you feel insane. It really does.
If you have a lease, you as a tenant have a right to withhold the rent until something is done about the noise.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,072 times
I know for sure 311 is a joke when it comes to heating/hot water issues. The heat is out and an inspector shows up a few days later, asks if heat is on, and by that time its back on so they do nothing. They are not true "inspectors" who can adequately assess a bad boiler. They are under skilled people with a pen and paper who check a list and they are a waste of tax money.

Same is for noise complaints. I put endless online complaints in. I identified the exact apt. My online compliant was closed in 5 minutes with a response that said that no evidence was found at that time. I did not hear or see police who magically appeared 5 minutes later ( wow: was it one minute to receive complaint, one minute to drive here, one minute to listen, one minute to go upstairs to the apt, ( maybe the cops went deaf from the music and that's why they couldn't hear,) then one minute to go downstairs, one minute to get back int he car and another minute to go back to station to close file This is sketchy. the music is nonstop. I get either no response or a closed ticket. And I am not making this up and falsifying this at all.

In regards to neighbors in the hood saying that this is a cultural attribute from the home country---Well, you can't have it both ways--you can't spin a negative as a cultural attribute to make it sound musically positive ( like a deep appreciation for the arts) and shut down the argument. If loud music is a cultural attribute then not teaching children self control ( kick ball in the halls and screaming), no respect for people, throwing trash on street to feed rats and not picking **** up after your dog ( even though street signs are in english and spanish asking people and telling them) must be cultural attributes too, Try to spin dog **** and screaming wild kids as wonderful musical cultural attributes too. Is it a deep appreciation for animals like rats. Let's get real. Since moving here I have a new under appreciation for the poor. I believe less in people being underserved or a product of neglect. You reap what you sew, There is enough info out there online about how to conduct oneself right and move ahead. If you cant control yourself and have no consideration, you will not move ahead.

I see Dominicans going to church all the time so there must be some level of self control and respect somewhere buried way down beneath the mounds of dog ****, doritos bags, and screeching maniac children and loud wall vibrating music. I doubt folks bring radios to church and let their dogs **** in the holy water.

I have heard that the music issue is actually a heated contested issue at community board meetings. People who defend this are fooling themselves and are only putting their own people in unfortunate boxes basically sayimg that their people do not have the capacity for respect and self control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City