Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 01:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times

Advertisements

The only reason to call 311 for noise - which you should - is to generate complaint numbers and to create paper trails.

Then, you write to the owner of the building in question, explain that his/her tenants are violating the "warrant of habitability," include the complaints and a calendar tracking of each and every instance, and send everything certified mail, return receipt.

The owners usually want to get rid of such people anyway. Without written complaints from outside parties, it is near impossible to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 01:20 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The only reason to call 311 for noise
I don't care why people call 411, as long as it stops them from calling a still-overloaded 911 system, with its own problems.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1552842
"on June 4th the Relay Desk handled 1059 calls, less than the average busy day of 1200"
3-1-1 Systems
"New York City’s 311 system is particularly instructive on how such a system is used for large cities– the city’s Taxi & Limosine Commission received 123,349 service calls on 311 during fiscal 2004, which is more calls than most cities receive in an entire year for all types of municipal service."
311 | City of New York
about-311
http://www1.nyc.gov/apps/311srmap/
http://www.nyc.gov/html/ops/ll47/htm..._reports.shtml
"Total to Date 170,695,881"

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-22-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 01:31 PM

29 posts, read 54,089 times
I recently sent a letter about this very thing to a few representatives, but haven't heard anything yet. As warm weather is upon us, I'm very worried about another ruined summer. We can't move for about two years, so there's no escape till then. While looking for info online about this, I found this petition:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...share_petition

It's not recent and doesn't have many signatures, however that looks to be due to lack of advertising. Perhaps those of you who have had bad experiences with loud music can sign it and we can get it going a bit. It may not help much, but if there are enough signatures it can be brought to the attention of not just the representatives it's meant for, but to the media.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I called 311 on multiple occasions due to loud noise.
The response is........ The police have up to 8 hours to respond.... The police never came. 8 hours is a long time for loud noise when you can't sleep .......I made a complaint against the precinct ...... still nothing

What is the purpose of 311 regarding noise complaints.

This is a joke, can't we go back to the old days and call the cops directly

The joke is you living in NYC. If you feel the need to call "on multiple occasions due to loud noise" I am sure the police have your name and know not to respond . My suggestion is to move to somewhere where you belong and it ain't here

Old 04-06-2014, 03:28 PM

205 posts, read 284,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
The joke is you living in NYC. If you feel the need to call "on multiple occasions due to loud noise" I am sure the police have your name and know not to respond . My suggestion is to move to somewhere where you belong and it ain't here
I totally agree with this point. Lots of "transplant" types still insist on turning NYC into a typical American burb. It ain't gonna happen. It's the CITY, it is LOUD, it is diverse. You don't like it? Plenty of burbs out in NJ , Connecticut or upstate.

How can these people move into the CITY which is obviously loud?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:52 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
I totally agree with this point. Lots of "transplant" types still insist on turning NYC into a typical American burb. It ain't gonna happen. It's the CITY, it is LOUD, it is diverse. You don't like it? Plenty of burbs out in NJ , Connecticut or upstate.

How can these people move into the CITY which is obviously loud?
There's a difference between living in a loud city herring traffic, people talking, etc and having a disrespectful neighbors that blast music every night till 4am.
I'm lucky I have respectful neighbors for the most part but i will gladly move in next to you and play a lil old school Ice-T 24/7 since you can deal with noise.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
There's a difference between living in a loud city herring traffic, people talking, etc and having a disrespectful neighbors that blast music every night till 4am.
I'm lucky I have respectful neighbors for the most part but i will gladly move in next to you and play a lil old school Ice-T 24/7 since you can deal with noise.
I can deal with it (even if I don't like it and even hate it). The body can adapt to many situations. I have had noisy neighbors in the past and guess what? It was terrible to sleep at first but then I got so used to it that I'd fall asleep anyway.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
I can deal with it (even if I don't like it and even hate it). The body can adapt to many situations. I have had noisy neighbors in the past and guess what? It was terrible to sleep at first but then I got so used to it that I'd fall asleep anyway.
That's because you live with your parents. If you had to work hard and pay for rent and all your bills you wouldn't want to have to deal with disrespecting people living around you. When you work hard and a huge chunk of your money goes to living costs you expect to not have to deal with riff raft people that obviously don't work as they are always partying. Most people don't expect silence in apartment situations but if you a hard working person you want other hard working people in your building as you typically will have similar life styles and a certain amount of respect for one another.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
That's because you live with your parents. If you had to work hard and pay for rent and all your bills you wouldn't want to have to deal with disrespecting people living around you. When you work hard and a huge chunk of your money goes to living costs you expect to not have to deal with riff raft people that obviously don't work as they are always partying. Most people don't expect silence in apartment situations but if you a hard working person you want other hard working people in your building as you typically will have similar life styles and a certain amount of respect for one another.
Well, but when I had noisy neighbors I was actually living on my own and working. But still, I got used to it for good or ill.

I agree that one would prefer desirable neighbors, but in a place like NYC, you have to afford it and make lots and lots of money to have "decent" neighbors. The rest are just..."screwed", unfortunately.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 AM

191 posts, read 220,600 times
Like someone said, it is a log system for statistical studies and demographics.. call your local precinct instead, although the cop might tell they are "fighting serious crime right now" when in reality half the precinct is at my local bp gas station making jokes and the other half too busy "you know picking up and hitting on girls", helping them stay off trouble and in the right track i suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City