Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 AM

9 posts, read 17,675 times

Advertisements

I agree!!! 311 is useless. I called to find out if where I was parking my car was illegal because there was one of those meter machines. It says on the machine..."If not sure call 311"...because the machines just want your money and give NO info on the parking regulations for the area. I call and the person says after going ummm and ahhhh "check the sign madam". I said if I saw a sign then I wouldnt have called you! It was like daling with one of the three stooges. Of course, I think all of them are stooges! Bloomberg get it together!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,196 times
4 blocks from the precinct and no response in my ethnic neighborhood. This what its come to and the inability to resolve an issue such as noise that require maybe 5 minutes is just unexplainable - other than we are simply not deserving of a response. Can we begin a "Noise Bregade"? How is the response to a block association?? Anyone here has one?? Please let us know. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 57,117 times
Default A few bad apples ruin the rest of us quiet, respectable "ethnics".

EastBoundandDownChick,

I know this is an old thread, but I had to reply because I was looking up information on noise control in NYC and 311, to see what can be done about noisy neighbors and found this thread, in particular your response.

I am Puerto Rican, in my 40s, born and raised in NYC , but recently returned to the Bronx from living in the Midwest (MN/WI) for the past 15 years. My parents still live in the Bronx and came to stay with them. Being here now 3 weeks, I now see where you are coming from and why white folks hate us noisy latinos!

When I left, there were still white folks in my neighborhood and now it is infested with trashy latinos from third world countries with no respect for our laws and traditions. I am surprised some of them don't own chickens or goats!

It's sad because most of the latinos I know are hard working, not Welfare trash, and peace loving, but it's the loud ones that make the white folks think ALL of us are the same way. We definitely need stronger immigration laws in this country and NYC needs to stop being a sanctuary for trash. Some of this third world trash needs to leave, as well as their anchor babies! Not to say there aren't any PR's of this same ilk, but I definitely feel now like it's mostly third world latino trash and the city doesn't seem to mind 5 living inside a one bedroom apt and playing loud merengue til the wee hours. Most have no jobs and I know that for a fact. After being here 2 weeks and observing the ins and outs of the residents through my window.... if you can move your car during "alternate side parking rules" during the day and you are around to be able to do that, you most certainly are not employed and are living off tax payers! What a bunch of trash. I am a die hard liberal, but now I am getting fed up with entitlement programs and the trash it brings. Too bad, because I know there are genuinely poor folks trying to get back on their feet after losing a job/divorce/domestic violence; but the rest are simply lazy ass muthas!

In Wisconsin, I had low income whites (this area was 99 percent white) and some were also loud, played loud music, stood outside talking loud at 2am and were missing teeth.

I have come to realize after being in the Midwest so long, that this is more an issue of low-income folks with no manners of ALL races versus educated, middle-class, well-mannered folks of ALL RACES with moderate incomes who can afford to live in nicer, quieter areas.

Growing up, my mother was obsessive about quietness and not raising red flags or giving ammunition to the white neighbors; basically telling us to be quiet, be well-mannered and go stay out of trouble. We did all of those and grew up to be successful and articulate.

The whites admired that in my family, while my own people despised us and good manners as we were "selling out" and acting "white"... whatever that means. Most of those latinos who criticized us are still living a cycle of poverty, single mothers with multiple baby daddies and criminal children. Who is laughing now?

Even though I agree with your frustration; keep in mind that if you had lived in a rural area of the midwest, where I have also had experienced, you'd see toothless EBT Whites with multiple baby daddies and no respect for their neighbors with their loud mouths and loud music. It's a matter of class and finances. Not to say all poor folks are trashy, as we were poor growing up but well-mannered, but it seems that the poorer you are (regardless of race), the more apt you will be to be lawless, rude, crass and tacky.

I don't know how much longer I can take these noisy Dominicans, but I might have to forgo 311 and jump back on a plane to quieter Wisconsin!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
This reminds me of a few weeks ago there was some teenager who lives across the street from us who decided to make a racket. She had about 10 of her friends hanging out cursing, yelling and fighting in front of the house from 3am until 5am. No one was saying anything. Around 3:30am I got fed up and yelled out the window for them to ****. (We tried calling 311 before this and they did nothing to help us and the precinct was no answer).

It wasn't until we heard the fight and screaming that we called 911 and the police were there within 5 minutes. >.> I agree 311 is completely useless. I am close to throwing eggs next time it happens.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,861 times
Well I called 311 and complained abouty upstairs neighbors constantly running banging listening to music their dog barking and I received a message that they responses to the call and observed no violation. Where from the curb??? Screw off 311...I'm going to court!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM

108 posts, read 171,331 times
I agree that 311 calls are useless.
However, you can look up your precinct online and call the listed number for the front desk and talk to someone directly, who (in my experience) is usually sympathetic and/or helpful and may even keep you in the loop as to when police are sent to check out the complaint.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 PM

37 posts, read 124,777 times
Totally useless calling 311 and calling my precinct (the 110) you are lucky if they even answer the phone.

This rule has to change. We should be able to call our precinct and someone, I don't know who should make them responsible for showing up sometime after your call. Showing up 6-8 hours later is ridiculous as is their report saying that they found nothing wrong. Of course they are not going to find anything wrong!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:12 PM

37 posts, read 124,777 times
I forgot...Once I called 311 and the police came, checked the lobby and their report was
that they had found nothing wrong.

The party went on til four in the morning and these officers could not take the elevator to the seventh floor where the problem was. I told the 311 operator a couple of times what apartment it was, what floor and to have the officers ring my intercom so that they could get in.

Of course they were going to find nothing if they were going to check the lobby only! Can they be this idiotic?

Old 04-21-2012, 05:39 PM

108 posts, read 171,331 times
This really leads to a new thread, but for me, living in lower Manhattan, the problem has gotten much worse over the last 15 years and it has a name:

Students!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdamary View Post
Once I called 311 and the police came, checked the lobby and their report was that they had found nothing wrong. The party went on til four in the morning and these officers could not take the elevator to the seventh floor where the problem was. I told the 311 operator a couple of times what apartment it was, what floor and to have the officers ring my intercom so that they could get in. Of course they were going to find nothing if they were going to check the lobby only! Can they be this idiotic?
There are lazy police officers, just like there are bad neighbors and loud parties. Or, perhaps the officers decided to avoid a confrontation, or to not empty a loud party onto the street at 3 AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City