Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 04:40 PM

57 posts, read 213,422 times

Advertisements

Many streets are lined with distinct-looking buildings right next to each other. Are these buildings actually connected on the interior? So someone on the 5th floor of one building could get to the 5th floor of another by walking across, instead of having to exit the first building and entering the second.

Link to describe what I mean:
Google Image Result for http://www.shortandbaldeatnewyork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/shilla-korea-town-4.jpg

I ask this because NYC doesn't seem to have any malls, and having to enter each store/restaurant/whatever separately takes up much more time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,828 times
Not usually. Each building is it's own structure. I prefer stores being separate, as they were before the concept of today's Malls. I hate malls.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:47 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricownage View Post
Many streets are lined with distinct-looking buildings right next to each other. Are these buildings actually connected on the interior? So someone on the 5th floor of one building could get to the 5th floor of another by walking across, instead of having to exit the first building and entering the second.

Google Image Result for http://www.shortandbaldeatnewyork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/shilla-korea-town-4.jpg

I ask this because NYC doesn't seem to have any malls, and having to enter each store/restaurant/whatever separately takes up much more time...
Each building has to be entered separately. But there is one shopping mall in Manhattan called Manhattan Mall: Manhattan Mall - Welcome to Manhattan Mall - 100 W. 33rd Street NYC, NY 10001, Broadway @ 33rd Street as well some malls in the rest of the city.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 PM

88,548 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:

Bear in mind that most stores and restaurants are on street level. There are exceptions to that, of course, but many stores and restaurants are located in buildings that have offices on the higher floors. The average shopper or diner isn't going to be on those higher floors anyway.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:12 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
Quote:

Even at a mall you have to enter each store separately...as in walk/out though and entrance. It might even take more time since you have to park a car and walk through a big main entrance too.

Does the city you live in only have free standing structures? Have you been to a strip mall?

This is a very odd thread.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,297 times
It was not uncommon in the 19th and early 20th centuries to have connections between independently built buildings. I manage 2 buildings in Soho that have evidence of previous pass throughs. One was actually a bridge over a shared court yard. I suspect more stringent building codes have made it more difficult to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City