Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 24,639 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I wanted to know from Washington Heights natives if this is a pretty safe area? I asked a friend in one of my classes & he gave me a sort of funny look because he is from 173rd and Broadway, but I'm falling in love with the apartment I see on 163rd. Not to mention that it's slightly closer to CCNY, a college I'll be at pretty soon. The reason I wanna move to WaHi is because I like the renovated Art Deco style apartments native to the area. Also I heard they are revamping the street there, so that also played into my decision.

Most people say I look sorta Dominican (every time I had taken classes in Inwood, most people came up to me speaking Spanish) and I grew up & currently live in Gun Hill in the Bronx, so I'm pretty street smart. Thanks for your help.

Also here's a picture of me here:

Last edited by KSteezyNYC; 10-11-2010 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: incorrect html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Don't really know why you put up your pic, that was kinda unnecessary. This is the kind of area where trouble usually doesn't find you unless you look for it. That is all I will say.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Oh okay cool.

I posted up the photo so people wouldn't think I'm some young white college girl moving to the area in fear for my life (because I've read a bunch of other reviews of different areas that are frequently described as DANGEROUS that I personally think is a joke), that's why but yeah I guess it was unnecessary.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,155 times
the area used to be a lot tougher, but in general all of WH/I has improved *a lot* in the almost 27 years i've been living here. there used to be an awful bar/restaurant near 161st that was responsible for a lot of noise/public nuisance, but they've shut down. there definitely are instances not so much of crime as much as nuisance -- noise, that sort of thing, esp if your apt faces the street (as opposed to an interior courtyard/airshaft, or a rear-facing apt in a smaller bldg.) -- so you might want to visit the apt at diff times of day to see the extent to which street noise is an issue. but i'd say nooyowkur81's assessment is about right.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbear View Post
the area used to be a lot tougher, but in general all of WH/I has improved *a lot* in the almost 27 years i've been living here. there used to be an awful bar/restaurant near 161st that was responsible for a lot of noise/public nuisance, but they've shut down. there definitely are instances not so much of crime as much as nuisance -- noise, that sort of thing, esp if your apt faces the street (as opposed to an interior courtyard/airshaft, or a rear-facing apt in a smaller bldg.) -- so you might want to visit the apt at diff times of day to see the extent to which street noise is an issue. but i'd say nooyowkur81's assessment is about right.

Yeah, I was warned about the late night bachata & noise factor from my classmate. I sorta don't mind at all...

Thank you very much

Old 10-11-2010, 11:45 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I'm not actually sure where that corner is...

But I'm a white blond male who use to live at 168th and Fort Washington.

During the day, I didn't mind walking around that area so much. Although usually I just got on the subway and off somewhere else. Occassionally I would barhop to an Irish Bar on Broadway or a Latino one just south of 168th - can't remember the name of either one.

That was also 10 years ago. I'm not sure where St. Nick is at...but if you are on the western side of Fort Washington, you would probably be near the large hospital there. That area around the hospital seems to attract some white, asian, etc. So, yeah, you having a Dominican look, would probably be fine.

Actually, I always kind of liked being around Dominican people. Nice people actually. I always felt that if something were to happen, it wouldn't be from your general Dominican person at all. However, that area does create the 'spidey senses' tingling...moreso coming out of the subway at 2am, and not sure who is lingering around...but didn't have any incidents like that when I lived there.

I always remember this one homeless guy, black american guy....use to always beg in front of a store coming out of the subway at 168th and broadway. I use to talk to him quite a bit actually. Sometimes wonder if he's still there, or long gone by now. He was a regular addict, but the nicest guy you'd ever meet at the same time.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 10-11-2010 at 11:54 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM

11 posts, read 35,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

How could you have lived at 168th and Ft. Washington and not know where St. Nick is? Did you close your eyes every time you stepped out of your apartment?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 66,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHizzank View Post
How could you have lived at 168th and Ft. Washington and not know where St. Nick is? Did you close your eyes every time you stepped out of your apartment?
HA I used to live on Haven ave years ago....like half a block from the park. 138 haven

Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

During the day, I didn't mind walking around that area so much. Although usually I just got on the subway and off somewhere else. Occassionally I would barhop to an Irish Bar on Broadway or a Latino one just south of 168th - can't remember the name of either one.

That was also 10 years ago. I'm not sure where St. Nick is at...but if you are on the western side of Fort Washington, you would probably be near the large hospital there. That area around the hospital seems to attract some white, asian, etc. So, yeah, you having a Dominican look, would probably be fine.

Actually, I always kind of liked being around Dominican people. Nice people actually. I always felt that if something were to happen, it wouldn't be from your general Dominican person at all. However, that area does create the 'spidey senses' tingling...moreso coming out of the subway at 2am, and not sure who is lingering around...but didn't have any incidents like that when I lived there.

I always remember this one homeless guy, black american guy....use to always beg in front of a store coming out of the subway at 168th and broadway. I use to talk to him quite a bit actually. Sometimes wonder if he's still there, or long gone by now. He was a regular addict, but the nicest guy you'd ever meet at the same time.

Thanks a lot, I think I'm sold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: