Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:32 PM

64 posts, read 253,293 times

Advertisements

You might want to check with Columbia after you get the job - as I understand as a parent of an undergrad there - that the college encourages its staff to live nearby. I do know that it owns a lot of real estate in the area. I was told that upward of 80% live in the area which leads me to believe that it may have housing or at least good real estate contacts as otherwise I doubt that many could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 PM

6 posts, read 20,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
sucks to have a doc degree and to be making barely adequate wages.
We are told that we are supposed to be poor, going to grad school. I took vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. Wait, that's the Jesuits but what's the difference.

Thanks to all of you for your answers. They are very helpful. Probably the best option is either to get housing through Columbia or share a place with someone near the campus.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
If you do want NJ, however, as you would avoid NYC resident income taxes, look near Fort Lee as it's just across the bridge to the bus terminal/subway. Columbia does have its own housing, and I know they have purchased buildings as far Uptown as Riverdale, so the housing office is probably a good place to start your search.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
I also recommend the area of Washington Heights often referred to as Hudson Heights. Quite a few of my established docs like to ask me what is going on in the neighborhood as they have fond memories of living up here during their residencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City