Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:00 AM

170 posts, read 826,430 times

Advertisements

I have an out of state driver's license and I'm wondering if I can still get a New York non-driver ID card. The reason I'm not transferring my out of state license to a New York one is simply that I just recently got it, it doesn't expire for another five years and I don't want to pay the hefty fee right away to transfer to a New York one... especially since I don't drive at all here in the city!

I was wondering if it's possible to get a NYS non-driver ID card without having to give up my out of state license. I'd rather not carry my out of state license around with me just because I don't want to lose it. I'd prefer to carry the NYS one for day to day showing-of-ID purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
no , the id's are only for those without drivers licenses either here or another state .you have to surrender your out of state license if you have one, otherwise your supposed to get a drivers license in ny and not an id if you have another states drivers license. they will check for out of state licenses so dont think by not telling them this will fly..

its to keep folks from claiming residency for jobs that require you to live here by getting an id and trying to keep their out of state licenses where they really live,.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , you have to surrender your out of state license if you have one, otherwise your supposed to get a drivers license in ny and not an id if you have another states drivers license.

its to keep folks from claiming residency for jobs that require you to live here by getting an id and trying to keep their out of state licenses where they really live,.
I guess that makes sense. I figured I'd run into complications.

I guess I just have to shell out the bucks for a New York driver's license. :-/

Old 10-17-2010, 08:08 AM

it would be insurance fraud keeping your out of state license while living here if your claiming your primary residence is in that state which you have to in order to insure there so it matches your license.. that now becomes tax fraud as well.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it would be insurance fraud keeping your out of state license while living here if your claiming your primary residence is in that state which you have to in order to insure there so it matches your license.. that now becomes tax fraud as well.
Well I don't have car insurance at all (or a car), so that wouldn't be an issue. But it seems my idea was not a good one. I don't want to run any problems just by not wanting to pay the $100+ for a NY driver's license. I guess I better just do it.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Old 10-17-2010, 02:07 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
I believe the fee is $10 for the switch.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:18 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I believe the fee is $10 for the switch.
No, it appears like that at first glance, but it's actually neither $10 nor $100. I just went through the process and it was $65 for me.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:31 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
It's $80.50 for a class D license for a NYC resident. I do know some people have both a NYS ID and a NYS license.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 AM

you can probley get both as a resident although i dont know why you need both but what you cant get is a ny id and keep an out of state license

Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 AM

most states require you to trade in your out of state license within 10 days of moving to your new home state if that new home state is your primary residence. so anyone can get a drivers license for any state they have a home.

however the problem is auto insurance if you maintain 2 homes in 2 different states.

you must be insured in the state where your primary home is . that also means the vehicle must be registered in that state and your drivers license is in that state other wise its insurance fraud.

as an example our primary hme is in nyc, but we also have a home in the poconos in pa.
pa auto insurance is dirt cheap, pa also only has a mandatory 5k property damaige requirement while new york is 50k.

when you are a pa resident and drive in new york you have to be automatically elevated to that states min requirement. if your in an accident in ny involving more then 5k property damage the state of pa and the insurance company p/u the tab as you only have and pay for 5k ,.

thats why they look at this stuff very carefully as lots of new yorkers try to insure their cars at pa addresses even though their primary residence is in new york. there are also state tax issues that are fraud when you claim another state is your primary state and lie.

today with cell phone records,charge cards and ez-pass they can prove your lying in a heartbeat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City