Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times

Advertisements

Fred I wasn't trying to lure you into a union argument. I think the point is a postal carrier can do this BECAUSE of the union, and they know full well nothing will happen to them..so they do whatever it is they want. Worst case scenario: you get rerouted to do it again and again and again. Which is why so many people have problems with the post office, and some are far worse than others.

I don't want you to defend the postal carrier, I want you to question a system that allows him to do this. Who has a contract that dictates what the punishment would be if you throw mail on the floor? You need a clause for ever possible action/inaction? There is no actual management? Just a contract? See the problem here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
1. If your PO is that bad, call your Congressman. That might work and will not hurt.
2. Mailman leaving orange slips without knocking? Happens to me too, and I live in the suburbs. I will say, though, that there is a postal regulation dictating that the mailman not climb stairs above the second floor. Are there elevators in your buildings?
3. Mail delivery better in better areas: Is the mailman in the better area older? Perhaps his route is shorter and he has more time to work properly. Longer seniority mailmen are more likely to properly deliver mail; the last few years or so, management in many cities doesn't care what happens with the mail as long as the Inspectors don't show up and the mailman is back in the building at 5. Mailmen of higher seniority often tend to take routes in better areas as well, less grief from the underclass customers in the ghetto, less robbery risk, better tips in the better areas, too.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
When I lived in Park Slope in the late 90s, it was virtually impossible to have a package delivered or to pick it up. I had everything sent to my office in Midtown.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
Default AT the Riverdale and Kingsbridge

Post offices ion The Bronx the service people are cool but the lines are way too long

To avoid that i try to go to the Woodlawn PO on my way home from work. The lines are way less but each customer takes even longer than at Kingsbridge and Riverdale

Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,812,712 times
I have a carrier from hell. I am also rural delivery on a fairly high traffic county road with a cornfield in my back yard. I have a huge rural box at the road. If something is going to come USPS, I beg the sender to 1) wrap it inside the box in plastic and 2) label "Deliver at the house" and 3) send with Delivery confirmation or return receipt (I am glad to pay more if I can't get UPS or FedEx). [Legally, if there is a delivery confirmation or return receipt, the carrier is SUPPOSED to do that anyway. ] This guy still doesn't deliver to house. He stops and hopes we will come out. If he doesn't get someone in 1 min, he writes a slip for us to "pick up at the post office annex" ( the sorting facility). He follows no rules, has his job because he knows politicians. Love our Postmaster, love the PO -- they try to accomodate and haven't been able to for years. It is all who you know. I wish this guy would decide to take another route. I think he will retire from ours ( the sooner the better)

It is NOT just a NYC problem, I assure you.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,386 times
Like you said it not a just a NYC problem ours a guy who does not know what number 7 or 9 apt numbers means and with the regular mail lady she does it right but when he works we have to go through and get the mail to the right poeple ..

We get each other mails and we leave on the door or wait intill we see each other then give each other the mail that he does not put into the right mail box ..

Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
I got sick of those stupid orange slips being left in my box when I was most certainly home. One of the packages was from amazon and I hadn't even noticed that they were going to send it USPS instead of the usual UPS.

I notified amazon that I would no longer be a customer if they were going to send stuff USPS because I said it totally defeats the purpose of buying online if I have to schedule a trip to the post office (during its rather limited open hours) and then wait in line and then carry the stupid box home!

I explained to Amazon what the problem is in NYC and that I know I am not the only one having this problem. I figured it made more sense to notify Amazon than the post office, since maybe the US postal service stands to lose big money if they lose the amazon account. I also filled in an online complaint form on the USPS website but they did nothing.

I haven't had that happen again with Amazon purchases since most of my stuff comes via UPS but I'm certain the postal service is still leaving those orange slips without even bothering to ring bells.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,635 times
I've done the exact same thing as Henna with other online vendors. I try to only purchase things if they will ship UPS and will tell them why I am not purchasing from them if I don't have a choice.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,981 times
My regular mailman happens to live in the route he works in, can't beat that. He has been steady for about 5 years now, excellent service for me at least, I do tip him at Christmas time. Now when a substitute fills in every now and then it's chaos.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:16 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
Mine personally isn't so horrendous - more individual screw-ups, such as last year when they did a "return to sender" on a whole batch of my mail.

But I do have friends with terrible carriers, and I urge you to write a letter of complaint. There are a couple of crucial people down in the main Farley office that deal with these things. Start with calling 330-3002 and 330-3296 and 330-3667 and find out where to write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City