Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 AM

88 posts, read 365,931 times

Advertisements

What do you guys thinking about Jersey pulling the plug on the ARC tunnel? I was pissed, would reduce traffic to NYC and double NJ transit capacity overall. It had its problems like connections at Grand Central but why not adapt and overcome? It will be built eventually but why is this country unable to accomplish anything? At least the Second Ave subway is back in the works.

Last edited by nykeroutoftown; 10-20-2010 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
I do not doubt a tunnel is needed and massive overhaul is needed on mass transit from NJ to NYC in general. However NY isn't kicking in a dime to the project and they're forecasting project cost overruns to be as much as 5-6 Billion which would be all on the backs of the NJ taxpayers. This would be NJ's version of Massachusetts "Big Dig". I am glad the Governor is showing some fiscal responsibility here because his predecessors sure didn't ....Democrat OR Republican. You can bet Senator Lautenberg and Menendez are going to be missing out on some major kickbacks from this lost project which is why they were campaigning hard to the public to draw up support for it.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 AM

316 posts, read 989,672 times
Just like real life, if you don't have the money to buy something....don't.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
The original cost (well, the latest "original") is 8.7 billion. The feds are kicking in 3, the PA is kicking in 3, which leaves 2.7, which Jersey has budgeted for. What Jersey doesn't have the money for is projected overruns, for which various estimates have been bandied about depending upon which political entity is yammering, but regardless, overruns are inevitable and the money isn't there in Jersey for them. Like someone said, we all saw Boston's Big Dig.

The deadline for the feds to come up with a new financing strategy is Friday. My guess is that the result will be that the feds and the PA agree to share early overruns with Jersey maybe responsible for more down the road. Might even be some private money thrown in down the road. As I said, this is a guess. We shall see.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
At first, I thought Christie was biting off his nose to spite his face, but now I think it is a brilliant move to bring the other funders to the table to deal with the overruns.

As a New Yorker, I don't care either way as the tunnel doesn't affect my life directly (plenty of people are willing to come into the city to work/innovate from other areas). However, as someone who is interested in sustainable transportation, I think it will be a short-sighted disaster if they don't work it out.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
NJT should reinstate that Higher NYP-EWR fare and use the $$$ form that , NYC should chip in 1-2 billion$ for the project. It needs to be redesigned , the current plan is terrible.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM

307 posts, read 637,281 times
Its a stunt to get more $ from the Feds. No way this project gets canceled. There is way too much at stake. Any I'm sorry NJ, but you already have some of the lowest taxes in the country, and your gas tax is microscopic, people need to spend a little more now (well not really now, as the costs wont be felt for few years) to get our transportation system into the 21st century. We are behind the times because people are unable to see the big picture when it comes to infrastructure development. The attitude is "If it doesn't directly affect my life, than I'm against it" Totally short-sighted and naive.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
The project would be worth way more to NJ than any cost overruns could possibly cost, and it is a travesty that Christie is letting ideology and short-term thinking get ahead of reason and long-term planning. The project is absolutely essential for NJ--otherwise, the pressure on new families to live in NYC or NY suburbs rather than an increasingly delay-prone NJ suburbia will only become greater.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
At first, I thought Christie was biting off his nose to spite his face, but now I think it is a brilliant move to bring the other funders to the table to deal with the overruns.

As a New Yorker, I don't care either way as the tunnel doesn't affect my life directly (plenty of people are willing to come into the city to work/innovate from other areas). However, as someone who is interested in sustainable transportation, I think it will be a short-sighted disaster if they don't work it out.
Basically my sentiments. Whats in it for new york. Im glad we arent helping to fund it. Billions of dollars from ny taxpayers for a bridge that benefits new jersey...for what?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:15 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Basically my sentiments. Whats in it for new york. Im glad we arent helping to fund it. Billions of dollars from ny taxpayers for a bridge that benefits new jersey...for what?
Well, we who work in NYC pay your high nonresident state income tax, for one, and we spend money there, too, shopping, restaurants, etc., during our work week. But NYC doesn't have money to contribute to this tunnel and I don't think realistically anyone is expecting the city to do so. You have your own fun and excitement with the MTA to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City