Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
It's 10 minutes from Broadway or 30th Ave to Lex and 59th, no longer than that.
The fact is that a commute time is quite different from "time on the train once the doors close behind you in the station you are departing from and the time the doors open on the other end".

You have to factor in at least some time to get into the station and catch the train on the front end and out of the train and station and into the workplace on the other.

The average person does not live on top of the train station nor have their office building on top of the destination station (though yes, it's possible). Even in a case like this you still must build in extra time on each end in order to come up with a realistic commute time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
Lex/59th is the absolute corner of Midtown too. If you work in the 40s, you either have to wait for the N/R to schlep to 7th Ave. or transfer and Lex/59th is one of the busiest/most crowded stations.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:11 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
Hell's Kitchen and FiDi/Tribeca are definitely nicer. The good things about Astoria are 1) cheap 2) close to Manhattan (10 minutes is just train ride, total commute will be at least 20min, which is still very good). There are much better restaurants in Hell's Kitchen and you can walk to work in Midtown. FiDi is much cleaner and has modern buildings.
Off course, the cheapness factor makes people convince themselves that they would rather live in Astoria than in Manhattan.

Very true. When we looked at places we tried convincing ourselves that we would rather live outside Manhattan, but the truth is it was a lie. Money isn't everything. I'd rather pay a little more to rent an apartment in Manhattan. For the places we looked at the difference was only $300 a month or so, not worth it IMO.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 PM

88 posts, read 182,275 times
Thanks for all the input. Of course I would much rather live in Manhattan, especially because my job requires me to travel with some equipment... if I keep this job. I guess with two other roommates its a great possibility to live there, but I really didn't want to spend more than $1000 on rent which would be $3000 total.. if things don't work out and I have to move by myself than I most definitely will have to live outside Manhattan because I don't think there is anyway I can afford a one bedroom in Manhattan. I always said that when I moved there I wouldn't do it unless I could get a place in Manhattan, but now I am realizing it might not be possible

Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
I know of people with (tiny, and no real living space to speak of outside of the kitchen) 2BRs for around $2000 in Greenwich Village, so I assume it would be possible in even the most expensive areas, although of course you'll be very cramped.
Where? I live in the Village and pay more than that for an average sized one bedroom, so I have to disagree.

To the OP, you could perhaps find a three bedroom for that price around Alphabet City, if you must be in Manhattan. I looked at a 2 bedroom at 5th and Avenue C that was HUGE and only $1,975. I personally wouldn't ever want to live that far east (poor subway access), but you'd be in Manhattan that way. You should be prepared for a possibly run-down building and a four, five, or even six floor walk-up.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 AM

88 posts, read 182,275 times
Maybe it would be best to move outside Manhattan until getting established with work. I am not exactly sure how much money I will be making doing my same jobs I have in Florida up in New York.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:01 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Yep - Unless you last name is Rockefeller or you're a High-level Investment Banker...Manhattan is just NOT doable without roommates...I used to say below 110th now it's the entire Island...and I talking about something decent, not rat infested crack houses.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
What is your max budget if you live by yourself? You say you really want to live in Manhattan, so the choice you will have to make is between living outside of Manhattan or living in one of the less expensive areas in Manhattan.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadess1 View Post
Thanks for all the input. Of course I would much rather live in Manhattan, especially because my job requires me to travel with some equipment... if I keep this job. I guess with two other roommates its a great possibility to live there, but I really didn't want to spend more than $1000 on rent which would be $3000 total.. if things don't work out and I have to move by myself than I most definitely will have to live outside Manhattan because I don't think there is anyway I can afford a one bedroom in Manhattan. I always said that when I moved there I wouldn't do it unless I could get a place in Manhattan, but now I am realizing it might not be possible
If you plan to travel on the subway with your equipment, you are MUCH better off renting a place within a block of a subway, perhaps in an outer borough, than living somewhere in Manhattan that doesn't have good subway access.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:49 PM

54 posts, read 154,941 times
I have friends who pay $1000 each for a 2 bedroom in MoHi. Near Columbia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City