Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 PM
 
88 posts, read 182,426 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

Is it possible to find a 3 bedroom apartment in Manhattan for around or less than $3000? We are moving in February and would like to be as close to Manhattan as possible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 PM
 
769 posts, read 2,053,078 times
Reputation: 284
You might be able to find a convertible 3 bedroom for that price in some of the nicer areas. This means it's a true 2 bedroom but the living room was divided so there's a small bedroom and a small living room. What neighborhood are you looking at in Manhattan? Obviously if you go uptown to Harlem, Washington Heights, Inwood, etc your chances of finding something are better.

Also, take a look at Riverdale in the Bronx. It's not far from Manhattan (depends where I guess) and has good schools. I'm assuming if you need 3 bedrooms you have children. It's a very nice area, almost a bit suburban in some parts. It is however lacking great subway access. There are buses, and a subway stop at 242nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 PM
 
88 posts, read 182,426 times
Reputation: 45
Well if we live in manhattan I wouldn't want to live that far uptown. Somewhere in Manhattan other than harlem, washington heights, etc. The three bedrooms are for three roommates. No kids. We were thinking Queens, like Astoria, if we had to live outside Manhattan, but I would rather live in Manhattan if possible. Especially because it would be easier for work and everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
1,271 posts, read 3,236,547 times
Reputation: 852
I know of people with (tiny, and no real living space to speak of outside of the kitchen) 2BRs for around $2000 in Greenwich Village, so I assume it would be possible in even the most expensive areas, although of course you'll be very cramped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Astoria, Queens, you know the scene
749 posts, read 2,457,327 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadess1 View Post
Well if we live in manhattan I wouldn't want to live that far uptown. Somewhere in Manhattan other than harlem, washington heights, etc. The three bedrooms are for three roommates. No kids. We were thinking Queens, like Astoria, if we had to live outside Manhattan, but I would rather live in Manhattan if possible. Especially because it would be easier for work and everything else.
I don't think the convenience is worth the tiny rooms, higher rent and more expensive groceries in Manhattan. Astoria is 10 minutes from the city. You could be in Manhattan, not live way uptown and still not be near amenities or have a greater than 10 minute commute to work. In that case, Astoria would be more convient, cheaper and offer better living conditions. For example, if I worked in midtown, I'd rather live in Astoria, have a 10 minute commute, bigger apt, cheaper groceries, more amenities, and better food options, than live in the FiDi, have a 30 minute commute, no food options, no amenities, and a tiny apartment 2 or 3 times the cost of the apartment in Astoria - even though the latter is in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 10:48 AM
 
88 posts, read 182,426 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I don't think the convenience is worth the tiny rooms, higher rent and more expensive groceries in Manhattan. Astoria is 10 minutes from the city. You could be in Manhattan, not live way uptown and still not be near amenities or have a greater than 10 minute commute to work. In that case, Astoria would be more convient, cheaper and offer better living conditions. For example, if I worked in midtown, I'd rather live in Astoria, have a 10 minute commute, bigger apt, cheaper groceries, more amenities, and better food options, than live in the FiDi, have a 30 minute commute, no food options, no amenities, and a tiny apartment 2 or 3 times the cost of the apartment in Astoria - even though the latter is in Manhattan.

I guess I never really thought of it like that! Thanks I didn't think it was only a ten minute commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM
 
142 posts, read 419,105 times
Reputation: 48
...sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 PM
 
215 posts, read 519,973 times
Reputation: 115
Total commute time from Astoria is much longer than 10 minutes. Also, Manhattan is much nicer than Astoria. It is expensive for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Astoria, Queens, you know the scene
749 posts, read 2,457,327 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
Total commute time from Astoria is much longer than 10 minutes. Also, Manhattan is much nicer than Astoria. It is expensive for a reason.
It's 10 minutes from Broadway or 30th Ave to Lex and 59th, no longer than that.

You think Harlem, Washington Heights, Chinatown, Hells Kitchen, Inwood, El Barrio, the FiDi, hell, even Tribeca are nicer than Astoria? I wholeheartedly disagree. If you don't mind wasting your money to live in Manhattan while I live 10 minutes outside of the city and pay half the rent, knock yourself out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM
 
215 posts, read 519,973 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
It's 10 minutes from Broadway or 30th Ave to Lex and 59th, no longer than that.

You think Harlem, Washington Heights, Chinatown, Hells Kitchen, Inwood, El Barrio, the FiDi, hell, even Tribeca are nicer than Astoria? I wholeheartedly disagree. If you don't mind wasting your money to live in Manhattan while I live 10 minutes outside of the city and pay half the rent, knock yourself out.
Hell's Kitchen and FiDi/Tribeca are definitely nicer. The good things about Astoria are 1) cheap 2) close to Manhattan (10 minutes is just train ride, total commute will be at least 20min, which is still very good). There are much better restaurants in Hell's Kitchen and you can walk to work in Midtown. FiDi is much cleaner and has modern buildings.
Off course, the cheapness factor makes people convince themselves that they would rather live in Astoria than in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top