Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 6,531 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been searching for a sublet in Brklyn Hts / Cobble Hill, and have a couple of questions I'd like to ask NY-insiders.

I haven't had much luck and I'm wondering if the fact that I'm looking from out of town is undesirable to sublettors?
I mostly use Craigslist, and write brief but informative emails mentioning that I used to live in the area, have local references, and am looking to return and so need a temp sublet (per the Craigslist poster's descrip). I mention that I would like to make a time to come in to NY (fr Boston) to see apartments, and would they be available to meet on on X or Y date/time.

I send out for as many as are a fit and as soon as I see a new posting, but I get very few replies. I know those neighborhoods are desirable so may get snatched up quickly, but I've had so few responses at all - even to say they were taken or asking questions back etc, - that I'm wondering if i need to adjust my message. Specifically, should I leave out the part that I'm currently in Boston? Is there a particular email tone I might adopt?

Lastly, any thoughts on whether more sublets are likely to come up during Nov - Dec would be helpful. Pickings have been slim this month... can I expect listings to pick up as people leave for holidays and/or warmer spots, or are upcoming months in fact more of a dead zone for sublets?
I am somewhat flexible on timeframe - looking for sublets anywhere from 2 weeks up to 4 months that would begin Nov - Dec. I just need to get on with getting back to NY asap!

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 12:54 PM

650 posts, read 2,516,230 times
How far in advance are you looking to make an appointment to see it. No one would make an appt to show say a week in advance (odds are it would be gone if it was a good apt).

Old 10-23-2010, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,531 times
Hi, I've indicated flexibility showing I can get there easily from Boston so don't need much advance notice, just an appointment... basically trying to keep it uncomplicated for the sublettor so that i can compete with people already there. I imagine everyone needs a firm appointment time, so maybe I'l just leave out the "I'm in Boston" part...

I'll keep looking. I do appreciate thoughts for ways to get an edge on this, so thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: