Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times

Advertisements

On the other merged/closed thread, there were quite a few strong opinions for and against this notion. Here's mine:

I think instead of rating teachers, they should rate PARENTS. Questions could be asked like this:

1. Have YOU taught your child his/her ABCs?
2. Have you taught your child sex education?
3. Have you taught and modeled considerate, non-bullying behavior?
4. Have you taught your child to count, shop in a market, and make change?
5. Have you taught your child how to tell time?
6. If you are a non-native speaker of English, have you provided out-of-school opportunities for your child to learn English, and are you working on doing so yourself?
7. If your child has a disability, learning difference or neurological challenge like autism, are you prepared to support the teacher in and out of the classroom?
8. If you wish your child to pray in school, have you instructed him/her on a fair, considerate way to do so, understanding cultural differences?
9. If you don't want your child to say the Pledge of Allegiance, have you instructed him/her on a non-disruptive, articulate way to opt out?
10. Do you provide enrichment experiences, including outdoor excursions, music and other arts, exposure to other languages and cultures, sciences, sports, 'different' foods, and knowledge of government systems?

If you can't answer yes to those 10 questions, then you as a parent should NOT be allowed to rate teachers, because you have failed your own child.

(disclosure: I am not a teacher, but I have seen for years teachers hung out to dry by parents who can't be bothered to parent. And this is not always in 'low-income' communities!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 03:55 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
(Disclosure: I am a retired teacher. )

Birdinmigration is pointing out things any caring and sensible parent would want to do for their child .

The parents who actually do sensible things like that are the same ones who join the PTA, volunteer for teachers and show up for parent conferences. In the almost 30 years I taught, I had many such parents and their wonderful kids.

The parent who does all the best for his/her child deserves an award.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM

203 posts, read 664,706 times
I agree that parents need to take a lot of the responsibility rather than merely blaming teachers. Teachers can only do so much.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
You are lucky, Buffalo, to have had many parents and kids like that. That's the ideal.

On the other hand, people screaming about "bad schools" and "bad teachers" should really look at the community as a whole. What are the values? What's the rate of parent volunteerism? I can practically guarantee that the perceived quality of the school acts in direct correlation to the expectations and commitment of parents, and the community as a whole.

I get really tired of "the schools" and teachers being blamed for things the parents failed to do for kids.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
I'm not a teacher or a parent, but I agree with your post, birdinmigration. I have been a student, and I have seen the result of those failings in my peers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City