Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times

Advertisements

I agree with getting roommates, even if you can afford not to. It's a very quick way to meet new people. Good luck and congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM

16 posts, read 39,075 times
I visited a few apartments in the city a few weeks ago, and wow, most apartments seemed to be two of the following: either too old, small, or expensive.

What's Long Island City like, in terms of prices, area, proximity to some places in Manhattan, etc?

Also, if I lived in Astoria, would it be more difficult to have people come over to my place before/after going out on the weekends? How much is a cab from Astoria to midtown or downtown? thanks again!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM

113 posts, read 317,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayugaRed2010 View Post
I visited a few apartments in the city a few weeks ago, and wow, most apartments seemed to be two of the following: either too old, small, or expensive.

What's Long Island City like, in terms of prices, area, proximity to some places in Manhattan, etc?

Also, if I lived in Astoria, would it be more difficult to have people come over to my place before/after going out on the weekends? How much is a cab from Astoria to midtown or downtown? thanks again!
LIC and Astoria would allow you have a car, if that is a necessity to you. But you would be playing the alternate parking game if you decide to do so.

On an 80k salary, I do not recommend having a car and living in Manhattan because a huge percentage of your income will go to parking garages, insurance, fuel, payment and maintenance. Paying rent, dining out, entertainment and just living in Manhattan is going to take every cent of your salary. Now throw a car and its expenses in the mix and you'll be beyond broke. Most of my friends who live in Manhattan do not own cars because of convenience of having everything close by (supermarkets, clubs, movies, restaurants, job, etc.). Turns out they say it would be a waste to money to own a car, so they rent whenever they need one.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Also, if I lived in Astoria, would it be more difficult to have people come over to my place before/after going out on the weekends?
Yes, unless you are going out in Astoria.

You need to figure out what to compromise on. Take the car, insurance, upkeep, registration costs, parking and gas out of your budget and maybe you can afford an apartment in Manhattan that isn't too small or too old.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 AM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
If you'll be working in Midtown, I'd recommend a condo on the LIC water front. You can get a nice studio in a modern condo with a doorman and a Manhattan view for less than $2000. If you're working in the FiDi, I'd recommend Journal Square in Jersey City for the same type of water front condo with a Manhattan view.

You can get into the city in 5-10 minutes from these two places and a cab from directly across the river in the city will cost you $10 or so.

The ratio of quality and size vs price of rent in modern apartments is higher in LIC and Journal Square than most of Manhattan. In Manhattan you'd pay at least 30% more for a comparable place.

I agree, you don't need a car.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 AM

129 posts, read 373,084 times
Quote:

I reccomend against LIC - I lived out there and had a georgious apartment with an amazing manhattan skyline. That being said, the neighborhood is pretty boring. And If I was out in city late on a weekend, it was annoying getting back.

Though you can afford a place on your own, I think you should get a roommate or two. This does a couple of things. You can potentially get a very large place, and sharing with a roommate in my experience doesnt seem to cramp the space like I thought it would. Secondly, you are 22, get a rommmat to lower the cost a bit and live in your top choice neighborood

Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
You may also want to check out Park Slope and Williamsburg in Brooklyn. They're both filled with younger people and would provide you with a good commute time into lower Manhattan. Plus, it's a tad less pricey than Manhattan so you could live on your own and have a very nice lifestyle. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM

16 posts, read 39,075 times
Yea, I don't know what I was thinking as far as having a car. So at this point i'm completely ruling that out.

I'd be working in midtown, so a commuting time of 15-20 minutes or less would be ideal. I'd like to spend about $1500, and wouldn't mind either a studio/1BR, or sharing with a roommate so total costs are about $3000.

What are you most likely to do, hang-out/have drinks at a friend's place in Manhattan, even if it's small and rather old, or a newer apartment with more space in Astoria/LIC? Also, I've read some areas LIC aren't that safe, is that still true?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Quote:
What are you most likely to do, hang-out/have drinks at a friend's place in Manhattan, even if it's small and rather old, or a newer apartment with more space in Astoria/LIC? Also, I've read some areas LIC aren't that safe, is that still true?
For myself I rarely hang out at people's apartments, we almost always go somewhere to get together. Most of my friends live in small studios or apartments that have been converted so there isn't much of a living room. Plus some of them have weird roommates who aren't fond of having visitors over all the time... I do have one friend who does have a decent size space in midtown west so we sometimes go there but not often. It's NYC so the "old" thing doesn't bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: