U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:30 PM

4,117 posts, read 7,146,105 times

Advertisements

"As a working mom, Marisol continues to appreciate the easy daily commute to Manhattan by subway."
--From the brochure I received in the mail of Arverne By The Sea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 12:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,920,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
"As a working mom, Marisol continues to appreciate the easy daily commute to Manhattan by subway."
So what... Marisol probably some housing lottery and is able to get into one of the of the 'new affordable housing' units you know that sham 80/20 program. Its too bad that the meaning of affordable housing in NYC is ridiculously low.

In CT a single person can make up to $85,000 to get a very low rate under a first time buyer program, but in Queens these programs start to phase out at a pitifully low $60,000 a year. I doubt that Marisol is working on Wall Street making $250,000 or more.

I am sure that 'Marisol' won't even have to worry about using the subway since she likely owns one or more of those humongous SUV's.

And you are right that is a lie. In most of Queens, it can take easily an hour door to door to get to midtown Manhattan. If you want closer, prepare to pay $2,000 or more a month for rent in Queens.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,523,992 times
Let me fix it:

Quote:
"As a working mom, Marisol continues to appreciate the plexiglass windows and iron bars protecting her family from the worst Far Rockaway has to offer."
How long is the commute from Far Rock to Midtown on the subway anyway? 2 hours?

I need to buy a car. Just wish I could park it somewhere no one would steal it, mess with it, break into it, or hit it. I hate the subway, but I have been using it for years.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,920,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Let me fix it:

How long is the commute from Far Rock to Midtown on the subway anyway? 2 hours?

I need to buy a car. Just wish I could park it somewhere no one would steal it, mess with it, break into it, or hit it. I hate the subway, but I have been using it for years.
No, there really aren't many parts of the city anymore. Anyway, cops are too concerned with pulling people over for such infractions as not wearing a seatbelt or having an expired registration.

Far Rockway & the near the Belt Parkway in Queens may the last affordable place in the greater NYC area.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:50 AM

251 posts, read 1,269,086 times
I lived in Far Rock after I could no longer afford Manhattan. It took me about 1 hour and a half from Beach 25th to 86th Street...taking the A to 59th and then the B or C. It was like 1 hour to get to 42nd street on the A. Then I found a job in Queens. It STILL took me almost as long cause of the damn buses and for the most part I was just going across the bay. A car would have been nice but those tolls and the price of gas really add up quick. I liked living in Far Rock though....outside of my bus almost being caught in a crossfire once by the projects, I had no problems and loved being by the ocean.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM

30,031 posts, read 42,792,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
why is this this a lie?
there's some people that live in suffolk county and commute to manhattan

Old 07-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
why is this this a lie?
there's some people that live in suffolk county and commute to manhattan
Hey, that's why I fixed it.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:51 PM

all jokes aside tho....i live in far rock and 3-5 years from now **** is gonna be totally different.....the cops have been doin a good job out here well except in redfern and the 40eez. but they locked hammels and edgemere down its not as wild as it used 2 be. people already flocking out here to buy the new housing. and granted some of it is across the street from hammels but u feel good as hell paying AFFORDABLE mortgage as opposed to rent (tax abatement).

Old 07-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
all jokes aside tho....i live in far rock and 3-5 years from now **** is gonna be totally different.....the cops have been doin a good job out here well except in redfern and the 40eez. but they locked hammels and edgemere down its not as wild as it used 2 be. people already flocking out here to buy the new housing. and granted some of it is across the street from hammels but u feel good as hell paying AFFORDABLE mortgage as opposed to rent (tax abatement).
I just hope you can swim when the next Hurricane hits...

Honestly the crime in the neighborhood has calmed down some, for now (with some spikes here and there). Still a bad neighborhood though. However get ready for it to come back hard soon. NYPD lacks manpower. Severely. Impact will be no more soon. Get ready for any blocks that seem "locked down" to bust out. You also have a growing population with the new development. Not all those people moving in are good people. New people will also have a lot of non criminal complaints to stress manpower for things like: Stripped car needs ticket for tow, blocked driveway needs ticket for tow, loud music complaints, loiters in front of home. Then regular criminal stuff common in the area like: car window broken into, teens fighting/drinking/rowdy, domestic violence, drug sales. Then more felony crime complaints: robberies, carjackings, shootings, burglaries, homicides. A precinct already stressed will get even more stressed. The gang beef between the projects will never go away. The new development will bring new people, new problems. It's gonna be real fun soon...

Old 07-08-2007, 12:59 PM

nahh actually its good hardworking people thats moving in
i aint worried about a hurricane i been out here my whole life
if it comes **** it
the crime is goin down cause they're focusing on the gangs out here
the 1 thing that killed my neighborhood tho is NYCHA
we're 2 small a neighborhood to have this much public housing
you dont even have to get rid of all of them just half of the developments
you'll see a hug improvement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: