Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,762 times

Advertisements

Most of the relevant stuff has already been said. There are a couple of enclaves of middle class to wealthy minorities left, though. Convent Ave in Hamilton Heights is a mostly black and very wealthy street, dating back to the peak of black Harlem in the 1950s. Some parts of SE Queens are still middle class to wealthy and mostly black, too. And of course there are wealthy Asians throughout outer Queens and generally throughout the city.

Lower income whites... well, aside from the Hasidic Jews, there are the Russians all across South Brooklyn, and Irish and Italians in Howard Beach. There are some lower-income Greeks and Egyptians (officially white in the Census) in Astoria, and Pelham Gardens in the Bronx is working class although increasingly Hispanic, too. Woodlawn Heights is a working class white neighborhood, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:38 AM

176 posts, read 730,194 times
As an African American I wil shed some light. To be honest there are alot more Wealthy blacks than people think. The problem is that in NY blacks are not accepted every where no matter how much money they make. No one wants to buy in a neighborhood when they will get stares and talks. So the majority of blacks with money will usually buy where they will feel comfortable because a house is a long term investment. My in laws bought homes 25 years ago a prestigious neighborhood in Brooklyn, the homes in that neighborhood are like 5 bedrooms and at least 4 thousand square footage. When they bought it was predominently white, they all sold and moved out. Now 25 years later homes worth 1 million dollars white are trying to buy to move back in but to their surprise no one is selling.

My husband and I combine make about 200k a year give or take, we livin a Canarsie where we live there are georgeous single family homes and multi-family homes. Most of people living where we are making in that ball park. Years ago when it was all white it was considered prime area to live but as soon as blacks bought it is now considered a ghetto. I was around the time when it was all white and it was same no differenence because in the surroundings you have projects and stuff but the actuall Canarsie stayed closed knit. I think that a neighborhood is great as long as the people living there are white, but as soon as blacks move in it is then considered not a good neighborhood. Good thing there are people with open mind and you can visit and see things for yourself. I've lived in Sheaps Head Bay area and to be honest there is no difference, you have wealthy white, poor white and middle class white same as in Canarsie but because Canarsie is mostly black it is made area to be in.

Hopefully as years goes by people can open their eyes and not put a lable on if you are black you are equal to poor.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,450 times
The issue with Ny is that there are no affluent African-American neighbrohoods with an exception of a very few, like Cambria Heights in Queens. I had an Af-Am co-worker, the guy before coming onboard at my place, was an audit manager at PWC, his wife was a nurse, and they lived in Cambria Heights. I heard that in Chicago and in DC, there is such as athing as the affluent Af-Am areas, wasn't Obama's home in one of these areas?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
[quote=Saccaros;16446679]Is race or money more important in NY?

I saw the movie sex and the city. I saw Miranda looking for a good neighbourhood in Brooklyn. And to my surprise Miranda saw a White man, and said, "look a White man, lead us to your home." And she found a White, middle class, area.[quote]

Who could blame her? Maybe she should have looked in Brownsville and East NY? lol

Old 11-02-2010, 02:30 PM

176 posts, read 730,194 times
I will say it again, a neighborhood becomes affluent when white lives there but as soon as blacks does it is no longer, that is what it boils down to. It has nothing to do with there arent enough afflunent neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City