Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
I guess I have forgotten about one element of this, which is youth. There are definitely things that you can do and enjoy ONLY when you are young. Being reckless, jumping into something older people tell you not to do, ordering food at 3am, partying every night, hooking up with different girls every week, etc. At 43, these things no longer mean anything to me, but I do remember the time when I was 22, feeling completely invincible. We, older and (hopefully) wiser people consider that moving to NYC for the sake of partying with no adequate resource is dumb, but I do realize that young people view the world differently. Well, I guess I now should say, "Have a great time!"

Atsushi

Why is it dumb? What does the OP have to lose? S/He said, if things don't work back they can just go back home and finish school.

I actually moved to the city at 22 (in the 90's) before finishing my degree with no job, but like many others, I had always dreamed of living in NYC. Yes, part of the draw was what I had seen in movies, but mostly it was what I had read in books. And when I got here, NYC completely fulfilled my dreams. Of course, I busted my butt with work and eventually did go back to school, but doing it when I was older made it all that much sweeter.

Yes, living here can be hard, but I am so in love with my city that I even get excited when I walk to my dentist's office. Because coming from a cars-only suburb, it still excites me that I can WALK to my dentist.

I don't go to concerts every week like I did when I was in my 20's or drink until 4am more nights than I care to admit. But every single day, something still thrills me about living in NYC. It may be a trip to the Met, a concert at Lincoln Center, access to some awesome ethnic ingredient, or just hanging out with friends and no one being the designated driver because we can take a cab/subway home.

I simply don't see the point in trying to talk someone out of love. No kids, no spouse, no responsibilities? If you can't go for it at 22, when can you?

In the words of my idol, Auntie Mame, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:07 AM

357 posts, read 783,352 times
get a degree and save up bro. ny isnt goin anywhere. you can't just show up to ny and expect to make it. do you even know how hard you have to work to get a tiny little apartment that you have to share with 10 other people? You need a plan. More importantly, you need to finish school and get a degree.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 AM

71 posts, read 149,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
The fact that newcomers "must" live in Manhattan- despite the high rents and closet sized studios; is one factor keeping the rents down across the river in Jersey and further out neighborhoods in the outer boroughs. At least for now.
exactly. let the newcomers have manhattan if it's something they want so bad. they're the reason me (and people like me) haven't been totally pushed out of brooklyn/queens yet.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:29 AM

756 posts, read 2,278,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Why is it dumb? What does the OP have to lose? S/He said, if things don't work back they can just go back home and finish school.

I actually moved to the city at 22 (in the 90's) before finishing my degree with no job, but like many others, I had always dreamed of living in NYC. Yes, part of the draw was what I had seen in movies, but mostly it was what I had read in books. And when I got here, NYC completely fulfilled my dreams. Of course, I busted my butt with work and eventually did go back to school, but doing it when I was older made it all that much sweeter.

Yes, living here can be hard, but I am so in love with my city that I even get excited when I walk to my dentist's office. Because coming from a cars-only suburb, it still excites me that I can WALK to my dentist.

I don't go to concerts every week like I did when I was in my 20's or drink until 4am more nights than I care to admit. But every single day, something still thrills me about living in NYC. It may be a trip to the Met, a concert at Lincoln Center, access to some awesome ethnic ingredient, or just hanging out with friends and no one being the designated driver because we can take a cab/subway home.

I simply don't see the point in trying to talk someone out of love. No kids, no spouse, no responsibilities? If you can't go for it at 22, when can you?

In the words of my idol, Auntie Mame, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death."
This is an awesome post. I feel the same way—just walking my dog to the park in the morning is exciting to me.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
If you can't go for it at 22, when can you?

/thread.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
New York City is boring and gets old very very fast. The city is dirty. It's very expensive which I think is a rip-off. Even if the 1bedroom cost $300 a month, I still don't think it's worth because it ain't Hawaii, Florida or California. It's a hellhole. The only thing going for the city is its people, and they're cool. The food there, except for Stromboli, is not that good and overrated. Good luck and brace yourself for its terrible weather. Oh, the architectures are bland and ugly.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:49 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
It's very expensive which I think is a rip-off. Even if the 1bedroom cost $300 a month,
$300 a month? Tell me where I can get an apartment that costs $300 a month!

Quote:
I still don't think it's worth because it ain't Hawaii, Florida or California. It's a hellhole. The only thing going for the city is its people, and they're cool.
Those places are also not New York. And realistically who lives in Hawaii? Florida is God's Waiting Room and California...eh...I was never into plastic surgery.

Quote:
The food there, except for Stromboli, is not that good and overrated.
Disagree. You obviously haven't been anywhere to eat.

Quote:
Good luck and brace yourself for its terrible weather. Oh, the architectures are bland and ugly.
And Art Decho/Manufactured Subdivisions is SO diverse and exciting.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Ohiogirl22, you need a time machine to go to Ny back in the late 70's when you can get even cheaper than $300 a month, and it would by only 2 subway stop to happening Studio 54. The city was garbage at that time.

Now, the cheapest apt. you can get in Manhattan is a rip-off $1500 a month for a bathroom sized studio. I was implying that if were $300, I still don't think it's worth the cost. They should give it away for a measly amount because the city is a boring joke.

Why don't you go to much more desirable locations like Portland, Oregon, Seattle, Washington, Boise, Idaho and etc.. Heck, Ohio is better than New York. By the way, you're right about plastic surgery in Cali, but that's in Southern Cal, not northern Cal. I think you'll like San Francisco for what you're looking.

Food: I've been Lombadi, Fresca, Mesa, Seradepity Angelino's, some of the hottest and trendy restaurants in Manhattan, and Tavern on Green. I've been to countless restaurants in New York since 1978, and I know the food there very well. They often over cook the food and serve stale food, too. It's bug infested and overrated! Gross!!!!!!

Prepare to get bored very quickly and be miserable. You'll head be home in about 2 months. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Atsushie, $7.00 train ride is why "near" Manhattan is a pain. The trains are overcrowded, and the roads are jammed.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:07 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
New York City is boring and gets old very very fast. The city is dirty. It's very expensive which I think is a rip-off. Even if the 1bedroom cost $300 a month, I still don't think it's worth because it ain't Hawaii, Florida or California. It's a hellhole. The only thing going for the city is its people, and they're cool. The food there, except for Stromboli, is not that good and overrated. Good luck and brace yourself for its terrible weather. Oh, the architectures are bland and ugly.
As a liflong resident of Brooklyn I couldn't disagree more strongly. NYC is a town one never tires of unless he tires of life altogether. I had a wonderful dinner at a French Bistro style restaurant last night before seeing 'Jersey Boys'. Yes, it was an extravagance; the tickets (third row, center) were $180 a pop, but what do I work for? You gonna have a night like that where you live?

OP: What are dreams for if not for pursuing? Tell the naysayers to stick it in their ears. New York isn't one of the most populated cities in the world by accident. If every bad thing you've heard about New York is true I'm here to tell you that every good thing you've heard is equally true. The naysayers are naysayers because they're sure they couldn't make it here. You don't sound like a naysayer to me.

Go for it !

(And look me up when you get here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City