Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 PM

43 posts, read 75,266 times

Advertisements

I dont have a degree, but I do have experience. I have been sending out my resume as a shot in the dark, and got an email saying they will be very interested in meeting me once I relocate. Yes its not an offer but the fact that I got a response means that it must not be as weary as people say it is. Won't find a job for 22 months my a$$ lol. BUT, NY's pay scale compared to SF, CA is friggin ridiculous being that cost of living is nearly the same. tsk tsk NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 PM

43 posts, read 75,266 times
How not to move to a big city (NYC, specifically)

Hey OP this blog may be of interest to you as it was to me!

How to Move to New York City

This site, people have done it with alot less than 7k.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 PM

16 posts, read 79,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
I'd admit that the best thing about New York is its people. Back in 1978, I was in New York for several days and I litterally was going crazy because the city was such as cesspool at that time. I was stuck in the city for a week and the half. I was so naive that I though it was cool to New York and hang out. Boy, when I got there, I said, "what I got myself into in this hellish place?" When I pondering what I'm going to do next, Maybe hitchike home or something at a bar (Kansas City something) I met a cool New Yorker Debbie Harry, now I know that she is a member of Blonde. She really occupied by time there because she was cool and outgoing. Still, I wanted out of this hellhole.

However, I wondered over to Studio 54 the next night and told one of owners of club that I was just visiting this city and I was going nuts. He felt for me and kind of thought that I was cool dude that he let in the club. I met all kinds of people and pretty girls like Cheryl Tiegs, Kim Alexis and girls from other states. I had a good time. It provided temporary relief for me while I'm in the city. It made it easier to put up with it for awhile. I ran into alot of nice New Yorkers at several different places. I thought they were like comedians in a nice way. They go "it's frickin hot". When someone, they thought was uncool, they go to him, "go fly a Kite and scram". I thought that was hilarious. They said I was a pal to them, and that was nice.

Today, the city is better than then, but I thing there's less of a killer place to hang than then. Ying and the Yang, the city better now, but there is no cool and special place to hang out What a trade-off. Something tells me that this city can't get its act together. The best asset in this city is its people, but I think there's no place like Studio 54 or Kansas City Bar to experience them If there's a selection like the selection of place like you have back then, by I probably wouldn't be here blogging. Toast to the people of New York!

To summarize it all:

You went to NYC, partied with rock stars, met some super cool people, were part of a scene that will probably never return again....may be even slept with some hot models.

Yet, New York is/was a cesspool.

C'mon man!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 AM

I want to commend the OP.
You seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

One piece of advice. Make education a central part of your future whether in NY (hopefully) or elsewhere!

I actually think you are better off going to school in NY because there will be more opportunities once you graduate.

I am (almost) in the same position as you. I have money saved up and will move out of FL in a few months. Destination is the North East, possibly NY but also Boston or DC.
I am about to finish my masters and need to get started in my career. Unfortunately, opportunities here in FL are not that great. I will need to find a restaurant job or serving job initially (done it full time for years) until I find a real job up there.

In any case, good luck!

Old 11-16-2010, 04:09 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,612 times
Colonel, no I didn't sleep with them, but I enjoyed socializing with them. You're right that the cool scene will never come back again. It's a trade-off. The city is somewhat better now, but the cool scene that alot of people and I enjoyed is gone. Doesn't the city has to a be a total hellhole or a crap zone for the scene to thrive and come back? I hope that not. It doesn't mean the city is spiffed up or something. It's just that it's not a cesspoo or crap zone now. It's still a sewer. Alot of gritty and dirty areas still remain like few blocks west of Times Sq. and just north of NoHo. The same goes for other pockets of Manhattan.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 PM

Durf,

You seem to be a reasonable person. Can you tell me a major world city that does not have its shady and unpleasant areas?
Though I haven't lived in NY I have visited many times and I am somewhat familiar with it.
New York is no different than London, Paris and Berlin.
There you'll find the glitz and the gutter.

I think, more than just NY, you don't like cities in general.
Could it be ?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 AM

Colonel- Tokyo, Sydney, Toronto, Denver,Colo, Singapore, San Jose, Ca, Boise, Id, Shanghai, China, Hong Kong, Santiago, Chile and many, many other cities are clean, safe and vibrant with almost no shady areas.

New York needs to clean the city, alley by alley and street by street. Garbage bags pile 5ft high every evening, and it's gross. The city has made major stride in gentrifying various neighborhoods and make them relatively safer, but it seems they move the grits to different blocks. It's patch work than thorough cleaning up the city.

Forinstance, they cleaned Times Sq and parts of lower Manhattan, but the western section of Manhattan, west of Times Sq. is bad, and same goes for areas south of 17th st. The blight seems to pop up as they clean other neighborhoods. It's like a cat and mouse game. They got a long way to go, but it's like years better than during period between 1965-1993. The only problem is they killed the soul and the scene of this city. If only they kept the vibe of the late 70's to mid 80's and clean up the city, it would finally be place worth paying $800 a month. The weather and natural scenery is not there to pay the rents the landlords demand in New York. Remember, it ain't California, Hawaii and Florida. By the way, I like really big clean, safe, compact, vibrant, world class and interesting cities, but New York is not up to par and does not fit the criteria. Sorry. It's just overrated and boring!!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Colonel- Tokyo, Sydney, Toronto, Denver,Colo, Singapore, San Jose, Ca, Boise, Id, Shanghai, China, Hong Kong, Santiago, Chile and many, many other cities are clean, safe and vibrant with almost no shady areas.

New York needs to clean the city, alley by alley and street by street. Garbage bags pile 5ft high every evening, and it's gross. The city has made major stride in gentrifying various neighborhoods and make them relatively safer, but it seems they move the grits to different blocks. It's patch work than thorough cleaning up the city.

And picked up by morning. Where do you suggest people put their garbage while waiting for the trucks?

Forinstance, they cleaned Times Sq and parts of lower Manhattan, but the western section of Manhattan, west of Times Sq. is bad, and same goes for areas south of 17th st. The blight seems to pop up as they clean other neighborhoods. It's like a cat and mouse game. They got a long way to go, but it's like years better than during period between 1965-1993. The only problem is they killed the soul and the scene of this city. If only they kept the vibe of the late 70's to mid 80's and clean up the city, it would finally be place worth paying $800 a month. The weather and natural scenery is not there to pay the rents the landlords demand in New York. Remember, it ain't California, Hawaii and Florida. By the way, I like really big clean, safe, compact, vibrant, world class and interesting cities, but New York is not up to par and does not fit the criteria. Sorry. It's just overrated and boring!!!!
Umm, you mean the drugs, poverty and violence? That WAS the vibe of the city in the 70s and 80s. You contradict yourself. $800 a month! I paid more than that for the suburbs. A marketable item is worth what a person is willing to pay.

You just don't know NYC.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:58 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:

So you are saying Boisie Idaho is vibrant, and Hong Kong is Compact and Clean? Hong Kong is one of the most polluted cities in the world. And Santiago? Also extremely polluted. I would rather see garbage bags on the street which are picked up in the morning than have to wear a mask because the hair quality is so poor. Have you been to any of these places?

And on what planet does someone pay $800 for rent. I wouldn't even think thats expensive for a place in Cleveland.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Ohiogirl22, yeah, Dt. Boise is very vibrant and is one of the best downtown in the U.S.. Have you been to Santiago and Hong Kong? They're very clean and safe. Columbus, Ohio, Birmingham, Ala, Phoenix, Ariz and Abuquerque, NM have studio apt going for $300 today. In the 1970's, New York was very cheap in pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City