Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 AM

9 posts, read 36,547 times

Advertisements

we filed eviction paperwork against the subtenant and have a court date set. She was supposed to leave by August/September of 2010 as the situation was only "temporary". But I agree with you, the morality issue is in question, would my mother have allowed her to stay in a sub par situation knowingly while continuing to accept rent from this women? I cannot answer for her, but I don't think so, the max time frame for her to stay was a year so she could "get herself back on her feet" it has surpassed that date and she needs to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 AM

8 posts, read 12,223 times
I thought Vegas has pro landlord laws. I was so WRONG! My tenant's gf came to look at my condo, which I have spend over 8000 on upgrades, she seems to be nice and her bf, on the other hand seems kind of scary. Well, I said to myself...everyone deserve to have a chance(NEVER WILL THINK THIS WAY, IN THE FUTURE). I rented my condo to them on 4/15/2010. They had decorated the place very nice and pay their rent through Sept., then STOP. 5 days Notice was served, 24 hours Notice to vacate was served. They filed a motion to stay. Court day set on Nov. 8th. The judge ruled ac out and requested response on rat issue. Mold was never mention before, I was shocked to hear it. The judge order the tenant to pay $925 by noon and coached him to give me a notice that there are mold at the property and I have 14 days to reply. I was to return back to court on the 10th with documentation from HOA what they are going to do with the rat issue. I immediately contacted a mold inspection done. Finding was intrution of water cause the mold growth by the tub, where floor join the wall. HOA management issue a letter stating they have collected bids and will make their decision on their next meeting. On the 10th, tenant never paid the court on the 8th and claim the court's computer is down. I addressed to the judge that he could have pay Monday afternoon to Tuesday. The judge almost bite my head off and rambling on about they are short staffs and she believed the tenant had made attempt to make the payment she had ordered them to make. She allowed them to make that payment on the 10th with a 3rd party personal check directly to me instead to the court. WELL, THAT CHECK BOUNCED. Now, the eviction company is filing a motion to reopen this case. At the mean time, I am trying to get the tenant to pay Nov.'s rent. His reply was I did nothing to the property and how dare me to ask for more money. I WAS AMAZED with this libal judge's decision to deny the eviction. I wonder how she going to rule, when she see the payment she had accepted for me bounced? I am waiting for another court day to be scheduled. I HOPE THERE ARE JUSTICE. I am sitting on an upside down property and a tenant won't pay and the judge deny my eviction request, I am living on my saving and very little of my rental income. Real estate value keep going down, I can not sell. I WISH this judge will come to her senses that I AM THE VICTOM, NOT THE TENANT. I further wondering, if the court will prosecute the tenant for lying under penalty of purjury and give the court a bounced check????

Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,022 times
The worse is taking someone in good faith to rent from you i:e(no credit, background, income checks etc). This is exactly what am currently going thru. The couple knocked my door in winter of 2007 looking for a room to rent. I'd no idea renting a room in NYC is illegal. However, lots of homeowners or landlords do so I did. So far, everything was good in the begining (2007-March 2010). I reduced their already cheap rent from $450 to $400. Informed them in April 2010 to move bcos i need to repair my apt. Bear in mind that they share apt with me and there are tenants in other units (3 family house + bsmnt). Anyways, i gave them friendly 3 months notice to move April -June. They used the whole 3 months and said nothing to me about moving. Although his wife told me back in mid-June she found a place. After June 30 deadline, wondering what they want, I requested that my friend talk to them. I was shocked by their response that I must take them to court in other to get them out. Offcourse I know that but since I didnt treat them as tenant eventhough they pay cheap, give them food voluntarily, bought them groceries, borrowed them money on weekily basis (now total $1300). So i wouldnt think of going to ocurt. Nutshell, July 2010 was the begining of trouble. They go as far as trying to hit me, lies upon lies. Called police on daily basis which police dont even comprehend what they really want and advised me to take them to court. Served them 30 days to move. Once they receive the notice, I got summons suing me for damages they didnt tell me. August 8, called police at 12:45 am that i stole their money. After 30days notice expires, proceeded to court for eviction. Sept gone nothing happened. Oct, they objected to resolution unless they see the judge. So october gone like that but soon get them in Nov. which stipulates they have to move in 3months (Nov, Dec, Jan). Here we are in January. They just went back to court to get extention until March. At resolution, it was declared that i cant take rent from them bcos it's illegal room. Okay with me but just want them out. They pay nothing since April 2010 todate. Still need extension?. Now using my basement as excuse. They dont leave in basement. they live in legal apt but using my apt to get me violation which court has snubbed several times. Now winter again. Heat and hot water intact 24/7. They go to court talking about they have no heat and hot water to get me fines. Court ordered inspection. Yes, i passed. On return date to court, she came up with she has no hot water?. Thats just impossible becos other units have everything and only 1 boiler, 1 hot water tank. Other units dont complain except the deadbeat suckers. Yes, judge fined me $500 and ordered to fix the violation in 24hrs. Hired a lic. plumber who in turn found no fault with plumbing system. Receipt was given to Attny who said to keep it for record?. Not me, I have to return to court to proof the tenants abuse, harrass and lied under oat to court. Will they be punished? I doubt it. Am waiting for next Tuesday to see if Judge grants them stupid extension?. I hope not. They are freaking lazy adult. No kids. Just bounch of drug dealers. So i learn a lesson not to judge ppl by appearance and not to be too friendly with tenants. Biz is biz. Am praying judge doesnt give extention. Plus hopefully police nab them soon. So my advise to the guy that initiats this forum is pursue eviction aggressively. Dont change teir locks or remove door etc. If they are deadbeat, they will cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and probably medical conditions too.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireState1 View Post
So i learn a lesson not to judge ppl by appearance
I assume they were clean cut with clean clothes. Is that what you mean? Or are you saying you just wanna sharpen your instincts? Because everyone judges others' appearance to an extent. How can you not? I don't get what you're saying. In my book, if someone looks like a party person, chances are, they are a party person.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,559 times
You are so right about section 8 tenants, presently we are experiencing problems with this family. They are unwilling to control their children when in the apartment. They allow their children to run, jump as if they were outside in the park. The other problem is that this goes on all day and passed 11 PM. We have spoken to them many times over about the problem but they refuse to recitify it. They refuse to discipline their children and in the meantime we suffer from lack of sleep due to all the noise coming from the rental apartment. Initially we were a bit reluctant to rent to a section 8 family but decided to pay it forward and help someone else in need. THis family truly did a 180, they were intitially sweet and seemed genuine. Now it is the total opposite they are the tenants from hell. We are in the process of starting the steps for eviction and hope to have this family out of the apartment soon.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM

67 posts, read 92,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttolaugh View Post
You are so right about section 8 tenants, presently we are experiencing problems with this family. They are unwilling to control their children when in the apartment. They allow their children to run, jump as if they were outside in the park. The other problem is that this goes on all day and passed 11 PM. We have spoken to them many times over about the problem but they refuse to recitify it. They refuse to discipline their children and in the meantime we suffer from lack of sleep due to all the noise coming from the rental apartment. Initially we were a bit reluctant to rent to a section 8 family but decided to pay it forward and help someone else in need. THis family truly did a 180, they were intitially sweet and seemed genuine. Now it is the total opposite they are the tenants from hell. We are in the process of starting the steps for eviction and hope to have this family out of the apartment soon.
Good luck removing those trashy and unclassy section 8 tenants. I hope you learned your lesson that its NOT worth renting to those unruly type of people despite how much more Section 8 pays for rent over a regular working tenant.

I just hope for your sake the apartment is not rent stabilized otherwise you will have a very hard time getting rid of these section 8 tenants. Rent stabilization gives tenants ENTITLEMENT RIGHTS to your property. It's a wonderful law, isn't it?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
"ashely" I thought if you lived on the premises and it was less than 4 units, your rights as an owner supercede any other rights that a TT has. For example, they could be excellent tenants but you can evict them so that a family member can move in.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM

67 posts, read 92,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
"ashely" I thought if you lived on the premises and it was less than 4 units, your rights as an owner supercede any other rights that a TT has. For example, they could be excellent tenants but you can evict them so that a family member can move in.

Yes you're right Sobro. I didn't read the initial post with the details. But yes...if you have a multi-family house or building with 5 or less units, the landlord is not subject to the strict rent stabilization law. You would treat those units like normal free market apartments.

Meaning you can offer a month-to month lease if you wish (RS requires a 1 or 2 year lease at the TENANT'S option...what a joke!)

Landlords also are NOT obligated to renew any tenant's lease for whatever reason. No explaination needed. (RS forces and obligates landlords to renew a tenant's lease despite any undesirable behavior or conduct for either 1 or 2 years once again at the tenant's option...another joke!)

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,676 times
Default Being sick and now evicted

I have been living in a supposed two family house which was made into a three family illegally. I am on the first floor and have placed so many calls to 311 as I have no heat most of the time in the winter, there is a controller on the boiler (illegal), there are no lights at the entrances and when I put a bulb in, the landlady's mother steals it (have that on video), the back steps going into my apt were cracked and crumbling. The attic apt had huge holes in the roof with major leaks and mold which leached into the second floor apt. There was no lock on the front door and no mailboxes. (Saw her rummaging through my mail and throwing in the trash). The mail was just thrown into the hallway. My lease expired and she never gave me a new one.

I have a small deck in the back and she now moved cars from the people she evicted out of the garage, possibly illegally. The two cars are sitting in the yard, unregistered and no license plates. I put so many complaints in to the city. She moved to take me to court. So we went. Of course I got her to fix all the things agreed upon, (although I still don't have a front door key that works) The steps have been cheaply done but they are done. She had roofers in yesterday.

I was diagnosed with MS and lung cancer. My husband passed 3 yrs ago and am trying to raise a 15 yo on my own. I am 53 yo and cannot believe I am in this situation. When we went to court, we agreed I would pay rent as long as everything was fixed. All has been and she hadn't been stealing my lightbulbs and it's summer in NYC so no heat needed. When we went to court, all parties agreed to fix what needed to be and I would continue to pay the rent if work done. I came home to find an eviction notice giving me 10 days to vacate! I cannot just take any apt, especially if stairs.
Called the courts and I had to fax over our agreement. Don't know why they don't have that on file since the index numbers are the same. Waiting to hear now what the next step is. My friend/attny has to file something else to stop the eviction process with the marshals. Another dear friend of mine made plans to get me away to the beach for 10 days and I am hoping this will not mess our plans up.

Wonder where I am going with MS and lung cancer. I had to put up with undergoing post surgery and chemo and no heat.
Thanks for letting me vent. If interested can keep you informed. Sorry so long!

Last edited by moz205; 06-17-2013 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: addendum

Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Sorry to hear all the mishaps. The landlady seemed to be doing a lot of awful things to you. Is it because that you were behind your rent payments? Otherwise it is insane for her to be so nasty. Your situation is really a difficult one to deal with, being sick and alone to raise a teen. Are there no city programs helping out people in such situations? Best of luck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City