Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,674 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your response leoliu. Was never late with the rent, would even give to her early as she requested. I would even put the garbage out for her curbside for everyone in the house, and shovel snow. Started when I filed complaints about no heat. Would get up during night and she would have run out of oil. Temperature would be 51 in my room and my nose falling off from the cold. Just trying to find a new place at this point. I know I am paying an outrageous amount, 1700.00 a mth for nothing. Not even a dishwasher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz205 View Post
I have been living in a supposed two family house which was made into a three family illegally. I am on the first floor and have placed so many calls to 311 as I have no heat most of the time in the winter, there is a controller on the boiler (illegal), there are no lights at the entrances and when I put a bulb in, the landlady's mother steals it (have that on video), the back steps going into my apt were cracked and crumbling. The attic apt had huge holes in the roof with major leaks and mold which leached into the second floor apt. There was no lock on the front door and no mailboxes. (Saw her rummaging through my mail and throwing in the trash). The mail was just thrown into the hallway. My lease expired and she never gave me a new one.

I have a small deck in the back and she now moved cars from the people she evicted out of the garage, possibly illegally. The two cars are sitting in the yard, unregistered and no license plates. I put so many complaints in to the city. She moved to take me to court. So we went. Of course I got her to fix all the things agreed upon, (although I still don't have a front door key that works) The steps have been cheaply done but they are done. She had roofers in yesterday.

I was diagnosed with MS and lung cancer. My husband passed 3 yrs ago and am trying to raise a 15 yo on my own. I am 53 yo and cannot believe I am in this situation. When we went to court, we agreed I would pay rent as long as everything was fixed. All has been and she hadn't been stealing my lightbulbs and it's summer in NYC so no heat needed. When we went to court, all parties agreed to fix what needed to be and I would continue to pay the rent if work done. I came home to find an eviction notice giving me 10 days to vacate! I cannot just take any apt, especially if stairs.
Called the courts and I had to fax over our agreement. Don't know why they don't have that on file since the index numbers are the same. Waiting to hear now what the next step is. My friend/attny has to file something else to stop the eviction process with the marshals. Another dear friend of mine made plans to get me away to the beach for 10 days and I am hoping this will not mess our plans up.

Wonder where I am going with MS and lung cancer. I had to put up with undergoing post surgery and chemo and no heat.
Thanks for letting me vent. If interested can keep you informed. Sorry so long!
Wondering whether you can sue for harassment, or if this limited to regulated units.
Serving an eviction notice after a legal decision was reached certainly qualifies, it is usually the slumlords who do this against stabilized tenants - an old tactic.

Try to get an actual lawyer. Call Met Council on Housing.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,674 times
Thank you Harlem resident. Now I have to get my dear friend to put a stop on this. I have spoken to the marshals and they are saying it was me who broke the agreement by not paying in full on the tenth when the actual agreement states the 11th. Saying need to go back to court. Never had an address for the landlady (she never comes around, sends her mom). Usually would leave it in the hall, have no address for her and since there was no lock on door, I was hesitant to do so. Didn't want someone getting my check number etc. She wasn't around until the weekend, 6/16 but I did leave it in the hall on 6/15 as I got a money order, since I wasn't comfortable leaving it prior. She started texting me on 6/11 looking for money. Need to bring criminal charged for a multitude of things. Including illegal eviction tactics, stealing mail and stealing my lightbulbs for starters....will discuss with my attn. friend later. Grrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City