U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 AM

12,344 posts, read 24,872,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITPerson View Post
I have an offer in midtown (59th & park ave) . Where should I live if I want :
1) preferably less than 50min commute
2) preferably less than 2000 rent for 2br
3) safe area.
I don't mind NJ or NY .
Is it possible to have these at all ?
seems like queens would offer a decent commute for you. That intersection is very closed to a stop on the NRW trains, plus it's a 5 minute walk to the F train. Try queens.about.com for some great summaries of queens neighborhoods that are good for commuting. Astoria is an obvious choice because it's quick to the city and has I believe the N and R trains and is in your budget. plus it's a great neighborhood with lots of amenities. There are a few blogs about astoria, I believe the astorians and joey in astoria. Forest Hills has one called Queens Central. You could google those.

Next for commuting would be something on the F train. The first stop in queens on the F is in long island city - while there are lots of nice condos there and the area is growing like crazy, it is still not much of a neighborhood (in my opinion). The next stop is Jackson Heights - check out apartments in the historic district and recent threads here. And the next one is forest Hills. So I guess my recommendations are Astoria, JH and FH if you want to stay in queens with a quick commute. If you live right near the train, you could commute in 20-30 min. to that location.

Astoria and FH are a bit more upscale than JH but jackson heights has its own charm and amenities (mostly incredible ethnic food). you can find an apt in your price range in all three locations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 11:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,298,260 times
I meant a bachelors (BA or BS) when I said college degree. I don't know too many people that only get associates anymore since it's pretty useless these days. All you can do with an associates, is use the credits to go to a 4 year and get your bachelors degree.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,938,624 times
I'll jump into this Donneybrook I suppose (dont' know why I'm doing it).

That neighborhood (is it really called Van Cortland Village by the locals? I'll have to look into it) is OK, not great not bad. It is behind Tracey Towers and Lehman College right? At the moment it is an alright place to live.

There is probably a white majority there, but look at the white people, its not like Woodlawn or Riverdale, all of the white people seem to be pretty old. In Riverdale and Woodlawn you'll see a lot of white people in their 20s/30s who are walking around. That means that the neighborhood will still be in one piece in a couple of decades. When I've driven thru that neighborhood it seems like 50 year old Irish guys and really old Jewish women.

I agree with Hustla's assesment in a sense. There is a wave of Dominicans moving up into this area of the North Bronx. Woodlawn and Riverdale might be able to weather this storm, I'm not sure of that though, but I would really question whether Van Cortland Village will be intact as a Jewish-Irish neighborhood in 20 years, and not just become yet another Dominican neighborhood.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 AM

The other thing I'd note is that this little neighborhood has been getting a lot of press recently. Isn't this like the 2nd or 3rd article about it in the NY Times in the past couple of months? I think I also saw a news clip about the neighborhood for a couple of minutes on channel 1.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,557,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
The other thing I'd note is that this little neighborhood has been getting a lot of press recently. Isn't this like the 2nd or 3rd article about it in the NY Times in the past couple of months? I think I also saw a news clip about the neighborhood for a couple of minutes on channel 1.
Hey, it's the NY Times. I guess the SoBro bull**** ain't selling. Gotta have something on the Bronx every once and while (to at least "pretend" people actually care about it).

They should put this sign up...

Old 07-08-2007, 12:50 PM

564 posts, read 1,679,248 times
mead, as I mentioned about the Manhattanites moving in, whites in their 20s and 30s have increased significantly in the last two years. But yes, before that, all the whites were pretty old.

As for weathering the storm, Woodlawn can't for another 20 years. Parts of Riverdale, especially the Fieldston section, will always remain white.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:13 PM

I'm going to have to go check out VCV then and see what the deal is. I only live 5 minutes away, but don't go down there too often.

I'd say its 50-50 in Woodlawn whether it will still be an Irish neighborhood in 20 years. All I'll say is don't underestimate the power of Donkeys and their beer. What other neighborhood are they going to move to with the same number and quality of bars? This neighborhood, along with Woodside/Maspeth in Queens is the only place that Irish immigrants go to in large numbers in NYC. If you have visited any of the pubs/bars in the neighborhood, especially on the weekend, you'll know that there's no shortage of young new immigrants from Ireland. They're also unlike regular white people because most of them will have 3-4 kids over here, whereas the average American white family in the NYC area only has 1-2 kids.

Plus all the Donkeys are really lobbying hard to get another special, Irish immigration bill like the one in the 1980s which resulted in droves of Irish people coming over to the USA. Originally they were behind the Kennedy bill, but since that has failed it is likely that they will try to force Kennedy to write an immigration bill focused solely on them. While illegal Mexicans are a contentious issue, the House & Senate is very likely going to pass an immigration bill that focuses only on Irish. They already have one that is only for Australians and lets something like 20,000 of them come to this country every year. Take a look here to see what I mean: The Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform

The most important thing to this whole discussion though is what is going on with Dominican immigration. If it slows down like Puerto Rican and Cuban immigration has in the past decade or so, then the Northwest Bronx will probably be ok for a while. If the Dominican immigration picks up then all of this area will become Dominican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
mead, as I mentioned about the Manhattanites moving in, whites in their 20s and 30s have increased significantly in the last two years. But yes, before that, all the whites were pretty old.

As for weathering the storm, Woodlawn can't for another 20 years. Parts of Riverdale, especially the Fieldston section, will always remain white.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:39 PM

564 posts, read 1,679,248 times
Yeah, it'd be truly a shame to see Woodlawn go down. It's the unofficial Irish answer to Little Italys in the Bronx like Morris Park. I never knew for sure, but I'm pretty sure a small number of the Irish people living down around the northern tip of Bailey Avenue are immigrants. It's actually increased alright with more Irish people in the last year, who I assume are immigrants.

I'd like to see more Irish people come into the Bronx. These days, immigrants only come from Latin America and on a lesser note, Russia and Albania.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:58 PM

Oh you'll find Irish immigrants all over this area of the North Bronx, but they're really concentrated around Katonah Ave in Woodlawn and up across the border on McLean Ave in Yonkers. There's some spillover all over Yonkers and Riverdale though because a lot of them come here and setup pubs.
Then they get their relatives and friends from back home to come here illegally (take the plane over, get the 90 day visa and just overstay it) and work in their businesses. Lots of the Irish are also big into construction around here. They usually only move to these neighborhoods after they have been in the country for a while though. A lot of them also seem to be moving way out into Conneticut for whatever reason, I really don't understand who's idea that was though.

There's also a cluster of Irish up in Northern Riverdale around Mosholu Ave off of Broadway. I believe there is a lot of rivalry between the Irish in Woodlawn and Riverdale, I have no clue as to why that happens though.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 24,918 times
Short easy commute to midtown...LIC. Great neighborhood and the north side is still affordable. I work by Grand Central and its just a 5 minute commute for me everyday. I currently live in the southside of LIC but its gotten pretty pricey so I found a great deal in a new condo building in the north side next to MetLife. Bought a studio for under $350K...personal balcony, elevator, new building, rooftop terrace, etc. - and most importantly, LOW maintanance (about $75/month!).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City