Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 5,678 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have spent the last month, reading and more reading on areas best to move into that i think i have confused myself and iam about to start pulling my hair out... (although some have been very entertaining)....

Okay basic background is
My husband has been offered a job at Penn Plaza in central NY, pay is 100k gross plus medical and insurance, from reading various post i can ascertain that his tax bracket would be 33%. Since we do have a 5 month infant, i would not be looking to work for atleast another year or until i can establish a good nanny service(read as cheap) or a day care or something to that effect that would make me comfortable enough to leave my baby and join the rat race again.

From my readings i am basically looking for the following advise(please bear with me if i leave anything out or get to vague.....

1) What is your budget? from 2000 -2500 ( no roommates and would prefer a house to a flat.. but beggars cant be choosers so if we have to settle for an apartment......

2) Where is your job located?Penn plaza so an hour traveltime is okay for my husband.

3) Living circumstances - 5 month infant, so areas with park or child friendly place is a top priority.

4) Space requirements - 2 bedroom however till we can look into buying after a year, i have no issues in getting a very large 1 bedroom apartment.
so initially its to rent

5) Neighborhood amenities - we are not really party people, we prefer a good dinner in a quite friendly place to a 'hip bar' or a leisurely evening walk in Safe neighbourhood . SAFE as relative as it may be is a top priority i would like to be able to go out with the baby for evening walks without having to cross the street to avoid a certain crowd or such. (and no i dont mean to offend any county or area, its just something i need to be comfortable with.
Because of the baby i do need an area where groceries are easily available if not 24hrs atleast till very late not sure if this is something they do in NYC and where possible to be able to deliver at home? (where iam currently its all possible)

6) Other interests/ General - we like the ocassional cinema, love musems and parks and iam a shopaholic so i love a good bargain.... we do enjoy eating out so an ideal location would be loads of resturants without being overly crowded (tall order i know)

My husband is arab and iam english so a diverse place would be great but its not really a requirment.

I have looked at some options and some listing and these have caught my attention but would appreciate your input. Iam listing the below because the areas are recommended but not sure if this is on the recommended side or not? i noticed even on recommended area you have to be careful on the street advised so i am listing them...

Sunnyside - 31-34 greenpoint any good?
Newark st- Hoboken - not much opion about it?
Bayridge brookyln - 86th street ?

Wechester was also recommended is there an area that you can advise on?

Yep a long order but iam trying to get as much info in advance as i can. Also note that it is for a year or so till i can determine a good locality to look into buying, piority being my daughters schooling in 2 years.. however if you think we can rent in a good locality with excellent schooling options with our budget i would prefer to move into the area from now and start registering in advance. (P.s if you can advise the postcode that covers the same even better just to be sure i dont pick an area with a different schooling zone.

Thanks again for all your help... and hope havent missed anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,021 times
sunnyside is easily the best option out of those you have listed its really nice and he can jump on the 7 train and be to work in no time. and its real safe, its diverse everywhere

Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDI View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have spent the last month, reading and more reading on areas best to move into that i think i have confused myself and iam about to start pulling my hair out... (although some have been very entertaining)....

Okay basic background is
My husband has been offered a job at Penn Plaza in central NY, pay is 100k gross plus medical and insurance, from reading various post i can ascertain that his tax bracket would be 33%. Since we do have a 5 month infant, i would not be looking to work for atleast another year or until i can establish a good nanny service(read as cheap) or a day care or something to that effect that would make me comfortable enough to leave my baby and join the rat race again.

From my readings i am basically looking for the following advise(please bear with me if i leave anything out or get to vague.....

1) What is your budget? from 2000 -2500 ( no roommates and would prefer a house to a flat.. but beggars cant be choosers so if we have to settle for an apartment......

2) Where is your job located?Penn plaza so an hour traveltime is okay for my husband.

3) Living circumstances - 5 month infant, so areas with park or child friendly place is a top priority.

4) Space requirements - 2 bedroom however till we can look into buying after a year, i have no issues in getting a very large 1 bedroom apartment.
so initially its to rent

5) Neighborhood amenities - we are not really party people, we prefer a good dinner in a quite friendly place to a 'hip bar' or a leisurely evening walk in Safe neighbourhood . SAFE as relative as it may be is a top priority i would like to be able to go out with the baby for evening walks without having to cross the street to avoid a certain crowd or such. (and no i dont mean to offend any county or area, its just something i need to be comfortable with.
Because of the baby i do need an area where groceries are easily available if not 24hrs atleast till very late not sure if this is something they do in NYC and where possible to be able to deliver at home? (where iam currently its all possible)

6) Other interests/ General - we like the ocassional cinema, love musems and parks and iam a shopaholic so i love a good bargain.... we do enjoy eating out so an ideal location would be loads of resturants without being overly crowded (tall order i know)

My husband is arab and iam english so a diverse place would be great but its not really a requirment.

I have looked at some options and some listing and these have caught my attention but would appreciate your input. Iam listing the below because the areas are recommended but not sure if this is on the recommended side or not? i noticed even on recommended area you have to be careful on the street advised so i am listing them...

Sunnyside - 31-34 greenpoint any good?
Newark st- Hoboken - not much opion about it?
Bayridge brookyln - 86th street ?

Wechester was also recommended is there an area that you can advise on?

Yep a long order but iam trying to get as much info in advance as i can. Also note that it is for a year or so till i can determine a good locality to look into buying, piority being my daughters schooling in 2 years.. however if you think we can rent in a good locality with excellent schooling options with our budget i would prefer to move into the area from now and start registering in advance. (P.s if you can advise the postcode that covers the same even better just to be sure i dont pick an area with a different schooling zone.

Thanks again for all your help... and hope havent missed anything
Your price range, safe, family friendly location and the fact that your husband is Middle Eastern scream Bay Ridge to me. Should be about a 45 commute to Midtown.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:02 AM

5 posts, read 5,678 times
Thanks Port north and streetballer, i'll look up them both up.. any specifics post codes i should be looking at?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:15 PM

198 posts, read 530,289 times
If your husband is making about $100K and has 2 non-working dependents, your rent should hover around $2000 per month so you have enough spending money after taxes are taken out.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwaves View Post
If your husband is making about $100K and has 2 non-working dependents, your rent should hover around $2000 per month so you have enough spending money after taxes are taken out.
I would suggest that even less than $2000 per month would be more practical. Don't forget to budget for utilities. Although, you are getting medical coverage through your husband's employment, it is not free. There will still be deductibles and co-payments. With an infant, there are always medical expenses and co-payments for prescriptions even with a great plan can be over $100. A baby's ear infection can be expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City