Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,617 times

Advertisements

brick town isnt a bad place ...if you dont kno no one over there than you can say its a bad place ii would consider ...40 projects sutphin and guy r brewer a bad enviorment ..thats where all the drama is at so you cant just say stuff about places you never been and if you dont kno no one over there ...cant just assume stuff you have to figure out by goin to see..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 03:46 PM

71 posts, read 148,707 times
Southside is not somewhere you really wanna live if you don't have to. Is it 1980s Harlem? No, but I think it's easily one of the five worst parts of Queens.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,636,945 times
Since this thread has been rehashed, I've got to say something. The communities in Southeastern Queens are the reason why Queens was the only county in the nation why African-Americans made more than whites. Southeaster Queens Black middle-class roots go back, if I'm correct, around WWII.

To have the foreclosure crisis rip though these communities the way it did (I read that there were 100+ forclosures in Jamaica alone) is unfortunate.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 PM

237 posts, read 327,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
I recall that starting from the early 80s to the late 90s there was a HUGE crack cocaine epidemic in Southside where notorious criminals like Fat Cat, Pappy Mason, and the most notorious Supreme McGriff and his Supreme Team resided. The area has always given off bad vibes. But everyone around the country has heard of the DRAMATIC and i mean DRAMATIC crime reduction up to 85% or so in areas of New York, NY similar to these. Can you guys tell me if this is true and if this area is now safe to live in or not?
Damn, Lorenzo "fat cat" nichols..that brings back some memories.. I was 15 when the rookie cop eddie byrne got whacked..I lived in south ozone park..I remember, before I saw it on the news/heard through the grapevine what went down, I knew something had happened, because while walking down where foch blvd and rockaway blvd meet(This was 1985, 86 maybe?), I saw plainclothes cops all over the place just going up and down different blocks..hadn't really seen that before, not that many.

And they looked really, really pissed. No idea what it's like now, though.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,539,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
Damn, Lorenzo "fat cat" nichols..that brings back some memories.. I was 15 when the rookie cop eddie byrne got whacked..I lived in south ozone park..I remember, before I saw it on the news/heard through the grapevine what went down, I knew something had happened, because while walking down where foch blvd and rockaway blvd meet(This was 1985, 86 maybe?), I saw plainclothes cops all over the place just going up and down different blocks..hadn't really seen that before, not that many.

And they looked really, really pissed. No idea what it's like now, though.
south jamaica queens is made up largely of hardworking people who earn an honest, decent living, struggling to pay their bills and send their kids to school. it's a decent area.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 PM

706 posts, read 3,753,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
south jamaica queens is made up largely of hardworking people who earn an honest, decent living, struggling to pay their bills and send their kids to school. it's a decent area.
That's what it is.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,182 times
I live in South Jamaica, I personally don't see anything wrong. Yes..there's a few rotten apples, but that's anywhere. In South Jamaica, you see hardworking families living in houses, driving nice cars doing what they're supposed too...I love it!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,276,081 times
Overall I don't think S. Jamaica is a bad area. There's really only pockets of sketchy areas (South Rd & certain sections Guy Brewer). I'm there all the time and most days I don't feel like I'm the hood.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,061 times
I was born and raised in Jamaica Estates, just north of the Grand Central Pkwy. It's a beautiful neighborhood, with lots of tudor style homes. As far as real estate, houses run anywhere from the mid 700s, way into the millions. There are a lot Russian/Jewish residents. For the most part they're nice, religious people you can see walking to the synagogue on Fridays and Saturdays.

Despite looks, JE isn't the safest neighborhood, although I wouldn't know how to compare it to other areas in Queens. I only know what I have experienced as a life-long resident.

House burglaries are not uncommon. My car was broken into about 2 weeks ago. It's been vandalized numerous times recently. I've seen an elderly coupled mugged in front of my home. My brother was actually stabbed when he was sixteen (around 2000), as he walked home from Union Turnpike one night (he's okay now). Definitely not the kind of place you want to walk around alone at night. But then again, you shouldn't do that anywhere in Queens...

I went to high school south of the grand central, right at the entrance for Jamaica Estates.The dividing line is clear-cut between the two neighborhoods (JE and true Jamaica). Just one block away from the apartment buildings and run-down shops along Hillside Ave, you can find Donald Trump's childhood home. It's more of a mansion, actually.

It's definitely one of the more unique areas in Queens...

Old 08-24-2009, 01:10 PM

893 posts, read 2,850,991 times
Is Springfield Gardens part of Southside Jamaica? I hope now. Inbetween Farmers and Guy R Brewer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City