Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold2011 View Post
For every success or sympathetic/tear jerker story like yours, there's like 20+ horror stories of how ghetto section 8 people moved into a quiet and clean neighborhood and destroyed it with their "street culture"/"lifestyle". So please spare us your little sob story because it is NOT going to change our minds about what we think about ghetto section 8 people. The bottom line here is, there are MORE bad apples in Section 8 than good apples. Good section 8 residents exist but are harder to come by.

Section 8 is a Federal Program... communities have the option of refusing Federal Funding or can lobby for changes at the Federal level.

I think it is naive to think Section 8 is going away... each Administration expands the program and barring a monumental shift in the direction the country is going... it's just not going to happen.

The options are to live in an area that is so costly it all but eliminates those receiving assistance or move to an area so rural, the few families receiving assistance are inconsequential.

Remember... Section 8/Vouchers are designed to integrate communities by replacing the "Projects" of the past... in that respect, the program has hit the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 AM

10 posts, read 11,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Section 8 is a Federal Program... communities have the option of refusing Federal Funding or can lobby for changes at the Federal level.

I think it is naive to think Section 8 is going away... each Administration expands the program and barring a monumental shift in the direction the country is going... it's just not going to happen.

The options are to live in an area that is so costly it all but eliminates those receiving assistance or move to an area so rural, the few families receiving assistance are inconsequential.

Remember... Section 8/Vouchers are designed to integrate communities by replacing the "Projects" of the past... in that respect, the program has hit the mark.
See I don't agree with this whole "integrating" part as that only benefits the section 8 recipients but NOT the people currently living in these neighborhoods who want to preserve their communities by keeping the riff-raff out.

There have been way too many desirable neighborhoods in NYC corrupted and blighted by allowing these section 8 people to "integrating" or better yet infiltrate quiet communities just for the sake of dissolving the projects.

In reality, all this "integrating" stuff does is cause the desirable residents from the neighborhood to MOVE because they don't want to associate or surround themselves or their families with these new ghetto Section 8 transplants. And I don't blame them one bit.

You're basically throwing respectable/quiet residents who don't bother no one and who actually keep the community clean and desirable under the bus so Mr. Jenkins and his home boyz could move-in? That's crazy. And we all know it only takes 1 undesirable to spark a trend. I would be livid if that kind of BS was happening in my neighborhood and you would to. The only people who would advocate for this type of nonsense would be the people on the other side of the fence who either benefit from Section 8 themselves or have friends and family who benefit from Section 8.

So if you really think about it...who REALLY benefits from this whole "integrating" nonsense? SECTION 8 RECIPIENTS ONLY! Certainly not the current residents. What a damn shame!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold2011 View Post
See I don't agree with this whole "integrating" part as that only benefits the section 8 recipients but NOT the people currently living in these neighborhoods who want to preserve their communities by keeping the riff-raff out.

There have been way too many desirable neighborhoods in NYC corrupted and blighted by allowing these section 8 people to "integrating" or better yet infiltrate quiet communities just for the sake of dissolving the projects.

In reality, all this "integrating" stuff does is cause the desirable residents from the neighborhood to MOVE because they don't want to associate or surround themselves or their families with these new ghetto Section 8 transplants. And I don't blame them one bit.

You're basically throwing respectable/quiet residents who don't bother no one and who actually keep the community clean and desirable under the bus so Mr. Jenkins and his home boyz could move-in? That's crazy. And we all know it only takes 1 undesirable to spark a trend. I would be livid if that kind of BS was happening in my neighborhood and you would to. The only people who would advocate for this type of nonsense would be the people on the other side of the fence who either benefit from Section 8 themselves or have friends and family who benefit from Section 8.

So if you really think about it...who REALLY benefits from this whole "integrating" nonsense? SECTION 8 RECIPIENTS ONLY! Certainly not the current residents. What a damn shame!
For starters... I did not develop the program... the entire credit belongs to HUD at the urging of our elected leaders all the way down to the local communities that invite it in.

I understand you are at odds with the Direction of how your Tax Money is being spent by Washington... you are not alone. There are many Federal Programs I do not agree with... every Administration has had a part in making Section 8 what it is today and I don't see it going away.

I'm glad to share my understanding of HUD programs.

HUD does not operate in a community without local support... either on a county or city level... just something to remember.

By the way... I live in East Oakland and yes... it is in my neighborhood and has been for a long time.

As a side point... owners are often criticized for not letting prospective tenants know they accept Section 8... City-Data has numerous posts from people saying they never would have signed a lease had they known. I think owners that are upfront about it should be commended...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-29-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
It is true that the theory behind section 8 was two-fold:

1-To alleviate the backlog of families needing government housing. There was just way too much demand for the supply of government housing (housing projects).

2-The government theorized that a way to help the plight of those trapped in the high crime failure that became the housing projects, was to provide them a ticket out of them (section 8) to better areas with better schools, etc. In theory these vouchers would provide them a new home with better safety, security, schools, etc, all the requirements to break the cycle of poverty.

So in that regard it has worked. But the collateral damage has been substantial as the section 8 system became abused by both landlord's and tenants, and entire stable/working class neighborhoods were taken down by the swarm of section 8 tenants. I think section 8 has a role in our society, but it needs to be totally revamped, much like every other government program. Unfortunately that is politically unpopular, especially in places like NYC, so it will never happen.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,337 times
Its sad to see someone in a house subsedy for about 30 yrs and its true. Its a progaram thats meant to be only until one could get a better job and get out of the any goverment program. Still that is one of the programs that has help many people, some manage to get out and others don't. just like housing,(projects). My parents never had any type of goverment help, and manage to raise 5 kids, working on jobs that would not pay them much! yes for me they are both great examples of NOthing is impossible. Unfortunally im a single mom that for my unfotunate luck is also undocumented. yet i manage to do what i have to do for my kids. I'm currently on a house program that helps me out alot but bc section 8 is no longer available i have to wonder where my family is going to live in a couple of months. I would have love to have had an oportunity like what public assistant gives to all those who apply. I would have been working and would not need any type of goverment help but thats not my reality, i have no ducuments therefore i have to deal with what ever i can for my kids. NOt everyone plans to stay forever in a housing program. I belive everyone have goals and have to achive them one way or another so if you don't depend on section 8 thats nice but remember not everyone is as lucky as you there are people like me that relly need it, not forever but for now. I'm very proud of what i am and know that I'm not the only one so don't feel sorry, i guess i'm just another of many. The ony difference is that i would love to work in a good job with benefits without people saying to me do you speak English? or saying something in English thinking i won't understand, thats when i say to myself that no matter how many degrees someone has theres always that part of themself that is more ignorant than the average joe.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:32 PM

11 posts, read 25,327 times
I don't know if this has been mentioned because I pretty much stopped at page 7, but another thing that's messed up about Section 8 vs. non program renting in NYC is how many more hoops working people have to jump through versus a section 8 recipient (at least on the surface). Take a stroll through Craigslist and notice how on a $1200 1 or 2 bedroom apartment the landlord or broker wants you to earn anywhere from 40 to 60 times the rent (depending on if you're applying solo or with roommates) and some people even go so far as to ask for a 700 credit score or better...and then turn around and say that they accept programs. You practically have to give away your first born to get an apartment in this city if you aren't on a program but aren't making close to six figures with perfect credit.

So...the NYC rental environment isn't even geared towards people who are working average jobs with average credit. You don't need to make $60,000 to afford a $1200 apartment. Both my boyfriend and I aren't making that combined, and are affording an $1150 priced 2 bedroom in the Bronx. But we've been turned away in the initial information stages of renting an apartment that costs LESS THAN WHAT WE PAY NOW because our annual income isn't ideal by the landlord or broker's criteria. The rental requirements are out of control in NYC (and north jersey for that matter). So, as horrible as it sounds, I wouldn't blame anyone who was technically income eligible for applying for Section 8 or a low income program. I've had my share of paying neighbors who were loud, rowdy and rude. Likewise, I know people on programs who are well mannered, respectable and just want to be able to have a place to lay their head that's safe.

And to the person many many pages ago who said that landlords should be licensed...Wall Street brokers have licenses too...and they still managed to play a key role in bottoming out our economy two years ago. Licenses don't do anything.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:23 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think section 8 has a role in our society, but it needs to be totally revamped,
If I was part of the revamp committee, I would somehow try to reward people who remain childless through age 32. When I meet that rare someone (or even a couple) who has the foresight to plan ahead and hold off on kids, immediately my brain says "Hey, this person's got some sense." Kids can also be a fire hazard.

I'd try to somehow put a lot of focus on past employment (with a heavy focus on "type" of job. People who do boring jobs for years and years tend to be quiet and responsible. They should be somehow rewarded) and checking on past records to see if an applicant received a lot of UI benefits in his/her life or tried their darndest to stay employed even if it was McDonalds or Burger King.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
If I was part of the revamp committee, I would somehow try to reward people who remain childless through age 32. When I meet that rare someone (or even a couple) who has the foresight to plan ahead and hold off on kids, immediately my brain says "Hey, this person's got some sense." Kids can also be a fire hazard.

I'd try to somehow put a lot of focus on past employment (with a heavy focus on "type" of job. People who do boring jobs for years and years tend to be quiet and responsible. They should be somehow rewarded) and checking on past records to see if an applicant received a lot of UI benefits in his/her life or tried their darndest to stay employed even if it was McDonalds or Burger King.
It's a slippery slope... kids are a protected class unless the building is special purpose such as a designated senior facility.

I do know what you mean about delaying children... back in my school days I had to take a class on statistical analysis... the professor mathematically proved if a women waited to have her first child in her mid 30's... she could have as many children as she wanted without impacting population growth... the opposite was also proved... having a first child at 18 means that child in 18 could have a child and the population would grow exponentially.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
Ya'll sound ridiculous not everybody on section 8 doesnt work im more concerned with pedophiles and rapist then a couple of people thats down on there luck it sounds like some of yall are jealous that you dont have the assistance yall should be ashame of yall self sounding very ignorant its disgusting you want people on the street with there children smh the bronx will never be manhattan its a fact if your not living on phelm pwy,riverdale,throgs neck,plhem bay u live in the slums anyway so stop it like the bronx is some fabulous place to live where the only brough without a downtown area lol get serious and in from the bronx and i dont have a program just keeping it real some of yall need to start also!!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Interesting Section 8 statistics

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...Statistics.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City