Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 12,562 times

Advertisements

The question: Where can I live that puts me closer to the city, (geographically, logistically, conceptually) but still allows me to have a car to get to Mount Vernon NY/ Meriden CT?

About me: I am a male in my mid twenties. I have a great job in Mount Vernon NY. I make 70k a year.

Current situation: I live in Larchmont. The driving commute is a snap (15 minutes) and I can also drive to our other location in CT easily. I currently pay 1400/month for a decent sized apartment around the block from metro north.

I am sick of living in Larchmont. It's a nice place, there are a few good restaurants, but its so boring. All of my friends live in the city (mostly Brooklyn). I lived in San Francisco before taking this job and loved it. I enjoy going out and doing things. Exploring trends, going to galleries, eating lots of different things.

I heard there were lofts in the Bronx, and some art stuff going. I would like to avoid the commute from Brooklyn.

Any suggestions, recommendations or advice is appreciated?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,475,681 times
Most locations in The Bronx would make it relatively easy to get to Mount Vernon--the further north you go, the closer you'll be. Most of the lofts are going to be in the old industrial areas, which means further south.

Don't write off City Island--a part of The Bronx, but feels more like an old-fashioned New England fishing village.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 AM
grant516

n/a posts
White Plains, for sure.

Best for both your commute, direct train access into Manhattan, and still relatively car friendly.

Plenty of restaurants and people your age.
Has some independent theater, and an art gallery or two.

Beats the heck out of Larchmont- and your rent will still be reasonable enough to live it up.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the help.

Im skeptical about White Plains. Then again I have only really been there twice, the Apple store and the Sears, both obviously at the mall.

What old industrial areas in the Bronx should I check out? How safe are they?

I will look into City Island as well.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM

418 posts, read 1,405,087 times
His friends are in the Bronx. How is White Plains going to be any better than Mount Vernon for him?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 PM

I dont know anyone in the Bronx, only Brooklyn and Manhattan. But your point is right Silli, White Plains seems like the wrong direction.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 AM
grant516

n/a posts
This is like that guy who is trying to live in Rego Park Queens and Work in Jersey.
Unfortunately despite the close proximity of NYC's suburban counties-

Richmond, Nassau, Westchester, Bergen, etc... they are INCREDIBLY difficult and expensive to traverse through the entirety of NYC to get to the others.

Will your friends from Brooklyn drive up to South Bronx?
Will you drive down to Brooklyn?
Will you take an hour+ train ride to get there?

Cost wise it works, but have you given thought to E 125th in Manhattan?
Right on Metro North and 4-5-6 trains?
... just not a very desirable neighborhood- might however be more so than Larchmont for you.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 PM

True, grant516, everything points in to Manhattan, there is very little in between when you are outside.

-Probably more likely then Larchmont, unless they want to play ironic family time.
-Probably not.
-It takes me over an hour to get down to Brooklyn now.

I have thought about Harlem. However, I still need a car to get to Connecticut once a week, that would be less possible on of E 125th.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Garages in Harlem run about $220 or so a month.
If you only pull your car 4x a month you may be able to negotiate a lighter storage rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City