Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 08:48 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
In accordance with the Interstate Highway Act, what's legal in your home state (the car is registered to) is legal in the state you are currently in.

Have a hearing, fight the ticket.
Cop didn't give you the benefit of the doubt-

Regardless if you're right or wrong, fight it.
You're out of state- you'll probably get it dismissed.
I think this is right...I'm pretty sure it is. The same law applies for registration stickers. Different states have different requirements, whatever state your car is from is the law that applies.

The only thing that can get you for is if your car is out of state, but you reside in NYS for more than 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 07:06 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is not correct , you do not have 6 months

You must get your car registered with the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (NYSDMV) when you move to New York. The car must be registered within 30 days of establishing residency, and you must get New York car insurance before you register the vehicle.

https://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/car-registration.php

Thank you for this correction. I thought the six months was quite generous lol. Thanks also for the link. The web site you shared spells it out better than the actual govt. web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think this is right...I'm pretty sure it is. The same law applies for registration stickers. Different states have different requirements, whatever state your car is from is the law that applies.

The only thing that can get you for is if your car is out of state, but you reside in NYS for more than 30 days.

I feel there can be a few exceptions to this. One is if your company has operations in NY and you are living there temporarily with your home being in another state (like you own property in the other state). Another one is if you are a student. I don't know about NY, but down here you can live in another state for four years and still be an out-of-state student. These students are typically seen as temporary and not required to change their registration as their home is in another state.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:30 AM

700 posts, read 421,754 times
The vast majority of cars using plates from these states barely get tickets which is why the rule is an irony to me

Old 06-03-2020, 08:01 PM

Out of curiosity, are people because of the pandemic okay not to get plates even after 30 days? I saw on the driver's license page that the offices are still closed. To get a plate, I read that you must have a NY driver's license and so I was just wondering if the requirement has been suspended minus getting auto insurance for NY since people who are from another state can't obtain a license.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Out of curiosity, are people because of the pandemic okay not to get plates even after 30 days? I saw on the driver's license page that the offices are still closed. To get a plate, I read that you must have a NY driver's license and so I was just wondering if the requirement has been suspended minus getting auto insurance for NY since people who are from another state can't obtain a license.

Never mind. I saw that in lieu of a NY driver's license, they will accept another state's.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:41 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
I don't think they're supposed to ticket you for no front plate in the first place if you're car is registered out of state.

Some states do not require front plate.
While it seems that Ohio, as of July 1, 2020 (and, yes, I know I'm responding to a years' old thread), will no longer requires a front plate (thought some have been trying to overturn the law before it goes active), but did require one at the time of the OP. So, the NYPD acted lawfully when they ticketed the car.

Something tells me that the NYPD has some sort of guide as to what states require front license plates. Or Google would work, too.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Can you answer the questions "Where do you live?" and "For how long.?" You may need to prove a current Ohio primary address.

Quote:
if you move to New York and become a resident, you must register your vehicle here within 30 days of becoming a resident (moving)

Old 06-05-2020, 06:02 PM

10,442 posts, read 6,974,789 times
Im confused how New York can enforce an Ohio state law. They actually cannot legally do that.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:32 PM

383 posts, read 173,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel420 View Post
My car is registered in Ohio. I just moved to the Bronx a couple weeks ago and I havent switched over to NYC registration and license yet. I have a back license plate but the front one fell off and i havent had a chance to replace it. Today while my car was parked (legally parked) I received a $65 ticket for no front plate. After I received the ticket I went online and ordered a replacement plate from the State of Ohio DMV. Im afraid that Im going to continue to get tickets every day until I get my replacement plate. Its going to take maybe a week since its automatically mailed to the address in Ohio where my car is registered and then it has to be mailed to me in the Bronx. Anyone have any experience with "no front plate" tickets? Will I continue to get tickets until I actually get the plate? I was thinking of maybe putting a note on my car window explaining that I ordered the plate. Dont know if this would do anything though.
Wait... are you trying to say that... the NYPD (like numerous other PDs) doesn’t know the law and gives out tickets (or sometimes arrest, or kill) for no real reason ??? Naaaaah I can’t believe it I thought all cops were trustworthy, knowledgeable and here to protect us all from all abuse, whatever it is.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:03 AM

Hi, I checked the DMV web site for opening info. It says the physical location is still closed. Has anyone heard on the news when they will open for vehicle registration services? I'm so confused. They are asking for NY auto insurance to be mailed but I can't get it because my insurance is saying that change in vehicle location and registration in NY has to be done at the same time, which makes no sense to me.

Are vehicle registration deadlines being extended at least? I don't understand how they are not open today. It's like are they not an essential service lol?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City