Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:46 PM

86 posts, read 247,296 times

Advertisements

My car is registered in Ohio. I just moved to the Bronx a couple weeks ago and I havent switched over to NYC registration and license yet. I have a back license plate but the front one fell off and i havent had a chance to replace it. Today while my car was parked (legally parked) I received a $65 ticket for no front plate. After I received the ticket I went online and ordered a replacement plate from the State of Ohio DMV. Im afraid that Im going to continue to get tickets every day until I get my replacement plate. Its going to take maybe a week since its automatically mailed to the address in Ohio where my car is registered and then it has to be mailed to me in the Bronx. Anyone have any experience with "no front plate" tickets? Will I continue to get tickets until I actually get the plate? I was thinking of maybe putting a note on my car window explaining that I ordered the plate. Dont know if this would do anything though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
Default google or call

one of the NY State DMV offices and inquire, or maybe their website has info about your question

Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 118,485 times
NYS law is that both plates must be affixed on the car at all times. So, you must get that plate from Ohio ASAP, lest you be ticketed daily.

As for leaving a note, it all depends on the traffic cop. though these days, with NYC budget in the red, I doubt anyone would give you a break.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
one of the NY State DMV offices and inquire, or maybe their website has info about your question
Ya im definitely gonna call them tomorrow. I thought someone might know the answer so I dont have to wait til tomorrow....im just being impatient.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
You would get a ticket for that in Ohio as well. Couldn't you put your fallen front plate in your front window like all the other people in Ohio?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
You would get a ticket for that in Ohio as well. Couldn't you put your fallen front plate in your front window like all the other people in Ohio?
I dont have it....i assumed it fell off. But I dont know for sure, I guess it couldve been stolen. If I had it, it would be on my car.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM

115 posts, read 149,395 times
I don't think they're supposed to ticket you for no front plate in the first place if you're car is registered out of state.

Some states do not require front plate.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:58 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Putting one's front license plate in the window doesn't help avoid getting a ticket in NYC.
I am surprised that someone with a non-NY State registration is getting a ticket for not having a front plate as in some states a front plate isn't necessary.
In any case, you should have ordered a new front plate to replace the missing one as soon as you discovered it had fallen off.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
If you requested the replacement plate online, then you have a receipt for its request. As long as its dated before (or the date of) the ticket, just plead not guilty and include a copy of the receipt.

Since you dont know how it was removed, report the plate as stolen. This will show up in their computers to verify the car.

If you are going to fight the ticket (or pay it) read the following link first:

NYC Parking Tickets - NYC Driving and Parking in New York City

Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM
grant516

n/a posts
In accordance with the Interstate Highway Act, what's legal in your home state (the car is registered to) is legal in the state you are currently in.

Have a hearing, fight the ticket.
Cop didn't give you the benefit of the doubt-

Regardless if you're right or wrong, fight it.
You're out of state- you'll probably get it dismissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City