Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
There are two things in your favor for the complete removal of the clothes line. You might want to offer the following "carrot" to the LL. 2nd floor tenant might argue that even thought the clothes line is not listed in the lease (very doubtful) the lose thereof would constitute decreased services, she has been using it for quite some time. That's what I would do if I was her. Yet even under RS laws, stricter then normal residential law the removal of a clothesline would be considered a de minimis condition requiring no replacement of a new line or a dryer thus no breaking of the lease, give back or reduction in rent is going to happen.
More importantly, this is the "stick", if your LL refused to get involved you might want to hit him up with the quiet enjoyment covenant. Although originally intended to protect a renter from being harassed by the LL or anyone else who lays legal claim to the property the tenant is "quietly enjoying", it has been expanded to include general annoyances such as underwear hitting you in the face while you're playing badminton in your backyard. This is a legal premise that even though isn't specifically spelled out in most leases it is your right and the LL has to legally comply with.
All well and good but complicated ,nasty and maybe expensive.
I's buy the upstairs tenant a dryer.Much simpler.......and it would keep the peace.
If I had a downstairs neighbor raise a ruckus about my clothesline he might never have another day of "quiet enjoyment" of his back yard.
Once you launch the first volley in a neighbor war you never know where it might lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
As a landlord I would never allow a clothes line for precisely that reason...nobody wants to see your ratty undies, and it inconveniences others. Nevermind that it means they have a washing machine, which I would not allow either.

Sobro, You make me sick. You just annoy the crap out of me.

Well our LL allows clotheslines as we all have them in the courtyard. There are2. I wouldn't live anywhere in the whole entire world where I couldn't have a clothesline.
and for the reocied all my clothes, be it undies or linenes are not ratty thank you very much.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Ok, but lets be sensible, where does the clothesline connect to? Does it connect to a tree, or a pole, because it really should then be even with their windows upstairs, as our are. We are on the 4th fllor and our clothesline is level with the 4th as is the third and second.
So yes, I do understand if there clothes are actually blowing in your face as you walk in your yard. t=Yes, that would be annoying.

If the clothesline slopes downward, maybe you can ask then to raise it level with their windows and tie it tight as to prevent drooping.

It would be good if you both can be happy, you can enjoy your yard, and they can still hang their clothes.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 PM

for the post before, correction, there are 12 clotheslines in our courtyard.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
As a landlord I would never allow a clothes line for precisely that reason...nobody wants to see your ratty undies, and it inconveniences others. Nevermind that it means they have a washing machine, which I would not allow either.

ugh, and who would want to live in one of your buildings, certainly not me.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:57 PM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
All well and good but complicated ,nasty and maybe expensive.
I's buy the upstairs tenant a dryer.Much simpler.......and it would keep the peace.
In case you haven't noticed drying clothes on a line has become a political movement.
Right 2 Dry: Restore Your Right To Line Dry

Quote:
If I had a downstairs neighbor raise a ruckus about my clothesline he might never have another day of "quiet enjoyment" of his back yard.
Right...

Quote:
Once you launch the first volley in a neighbor war you never know where it might lead.
It might lead to getting something you legally deserve not to mention some self respect.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 PM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Sobro, You make me sick. You just annoy the crap out of me.
^^^This

Old 11-12-2010, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 28,434 times
Excellent! Thanks modsquad81.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
My neighbors have a clothesline. Bras and boxers hanging 6 stories above a garden. Neighbor on the fifth floor likes to chainsmoke out of her window. I watch the clothes float in the breeze and wonder what they smell like once they're dry.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 PM

funny how anytime a clothesline is mentioned, people always make fun of underware hanging on a clothesline. Newsflash: we all have underware, and I'm sure the ones hanging on the line to dry aren't ratty, like everyone seems to think.
We also hang towels, and sheets, and pants...etc.....not just underware.
Geez people, are you guys that upset to see a pair of undies hanging on a line..........is this what we worry about.....seems silly, don't ya think????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City