Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 14,445 times

Advertisements

Hi Forum ,

I hope this is the right place to post my questions, if not sorry. I recently moved to NYC and there are a couple of issues with the place that I just realized after moving in.

1. It takes about 2 minutes for hot water to come out of the tab (sometimes even longer). It is kind of annoying to waste a couple of gallons of water every time I want to take a shower. Are there laws on how much time I have to accept?

2. The water pressure is too low, it feels like it is raining out of the tab. Are there laws and rules on minimum water pressure?

3. I live on the top floor and in the living room I can see that parts of the ceiling have been repainted. Right underneath this spot (in a corner) the floor is deformed and blackish (I think this might be mold, but I am not sure). How can I find out what this is and what can I demand the ladlord do in this case? I think that mold could be a health risk. Could it be enough to spray the spot with some kind of mold killer?

Other than that, I reall love the place and I dont want to **** off the landlord. I am on a one year lease that I absolutely want to prolong it after that. Can the landlord decide not to rent to me after that year if I have complained to much?

Thank you guys for your help, I really appreciate it .

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karina83 View Post

1. It takes about 2 minutes for hot water to come out of the tab (sometimes even longer). It is kind of annoying to waste a couple of gallons of water every time I want to take a shower. Are there laws on how much time I have to accept?

2. The water pressure is too low, it feels like it is raining out of the tab. Are there laws and rules on minimum water pressure?
That's how my water is as well. I have never lived in a place where the water is Hot from the turn on. Also I don't think there is much they can do about water pressure.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 AM

There are several things that can be done to increase water pressure, like the installation of a booster pump. The question is how low the pressure have to be so that I can demand this.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:55 AM

149 posts, read 358,521 times
I would politely let the super know about my problems. If it doesn't get fixed, or he says he can't, call management. If they don't do anything, call 311 and find out what to do from there. IF you live in a big building/renting through some corporation, I wouldn't worry about pissing the owners off. If it's a small complex and you have an intimate relationship with the owner, you have to be a bit more careful.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Are you in a building or a private house? There is a big difference.

I would call the LL or the super about the black stuff in the livingroom. While he's there, I would just mention the water/water pressure issues.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 AM

194 posts, read 1,203,029 times
What floor are you on? 6 floors is pretty much the limit as far as water being able to reach with the pressure it has in the pipes. That also might not help with the hot water as it has a long way to travel from the basement all the way up to your apartment. You could try and find a good shower head that can build pressure that would probably be your best bet in that department.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:26 AM

979 posts, read 4,457,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Are you in a building or a private house? There is a big difference.
^^^This and if you're RS will determine the possible causes and how big an ******* you can be and still expect to stay after the year is up.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 AM

I am in a building and the landlord is a company. I already talked to the super about the water pressure and I already called the landlord company about the pressure and the hot water. They actually "replaced" something, at least they said the did (because when I called I had no hot water at all). They said it would work better after this but nothing changed. I just dont want to be a pain in the ass calling again and again and prolly **** them off but on the other hand I want this fixed. I am at the point where I try to figure out what they have to do by law so I can request changes without fear. Therefore, I want to know where I stand before I call them again or make any request, even with the mold.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
First, of all, these are mostly minor issues, and in NYC one doesn't generally "demand" things like this from landlords. We request. You make demands for something major, like if your ceiling falls down. Your water issues are likely unsolvable. Waiting a minute or two for hot water is no big deal, certainly. I wonder if getting a better shower-head, like the kind meant to conserve water, might help with the pressure issue.

The black stuff is probably nothing, but of course potentially a big issue if it's mold. Start with the super - and I suggest that if they send over an expert, you make a point of being there to see exactly what happens. If you can't get them to take action, you can start by calling 311, the city help-line, but they're mostly idiots, so be prepared to take the initiative with this.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:28 PM

194 posts, read 1,203,029 times
Yea so long as you dont have any pest infestations, health hazards, or scary or crazy neighbors, anything else is a luxury in NYC. After a couple years you'll learn those are minor concerns. Not knocking you at all, most of us were in the same boat at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: