Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,363,986 times

Advertisements

That doesn't say anything about Harlem. It says you had a feeling which may or may not have been right. Unless you know that particular night something happened at the Apollo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,758,240 times

Harlem is a contradiction that makes people who only see things in black and white go nuts. Yes, in parts there is still ugly violence, drug dealing, poor schools, and all the rest. Then look at, say, 8th Ave between Central Park and 125th, parts of Lenox Ave, or some of the brownstone blocksand its clear the middle class, black and white think the area has a future. How this contradiction works out --bodegas taking food stamps at the same time the restaurant down the block is taking American Express--will be interesting to see. The recession has calmed things down a bit for now. (Maybe. I mean there is a new W hotel going up on 124th St) Except for this tough economy, I think this contradiction would be being resolved more quickly than it is now. When times get better, we’ll see. My bet is we’ll keep seeing a growing middle-class in Harlem despite ongoing problems.

Also, the reality of crime and people’s perception of it are two different things entirely The new stores, condos, restaurants and the like attract more people and more affluent people and that tends to make everyone feel safer even if some parts of ithe neighborhood are still pretty rough. And I think that there is something to be said for the idea that sometimes the thugs don’t prey on white Harlemites for fear of adverse news coverage and pressure from the cops. That’s pretty sad. I mean when’s the last time Nancy Grace or CNN did a big segment on a missing black woman? (That may be an exaggeration but you get the point. Black on black crime seems to take lower priority too much of the time.)

Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,363,986 times
City love..that is the definition of a neighborhood in transition. You don't instantly have all new middle class people and safety...it happens in steps, sometimes in leaps, other times at a snails pace. But no doubt it is happening.

And yes there is something to be said about not preying on "outsiders." But it is less about them being "outsiders" and more about them not being involved with the wrong people/activities. That is to say, the local brown/blacks are more likely to be a target because they know someone/something, directly or indirectly, whereas the "outsider" has nothing to do with what drives crime in these nieghborhoods: Drugs, and those that are involved in the drug trade. It is more of an issue of keeping your nose clean and away from the drugs/drug dealers and their 'friends", and than it has to do with being an "outsider."

Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,191 times
Statistically Whites are safer than Blacks and Latinos when it comes to violence in the city. Even in a place like Harlem where they seem to stick out, Whites are just less likely to be a victim of crime.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,758,240 times
No doubt that if you lie down with dogs you'll get up with fleas, for sure. And newcomers don't/won't/can't always know who the dogs are like the residents do. But I was jsut responding to OP who seemed horrified that anybody middle class would move to Harlem and that anyone who does is hopelessly naive and has the wool pulled over his/her eyes. You're right. It is a neighborhood in transitionand I thin it'll stay that way. Until the economy revs up again.

Last edited by citylove101; 11-15-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,675,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101
And I think that there is something to be said for the idea that sometimes the thugs don’t prey on white Harlemites for fear of adverse news coverage and pressure from the cops. That’s pretty sad. I mean when’s the last time Nancy Grace or CNN did a big segment on a missing black woman? (That may be an exaggeration but you get the point.

Not an exaggeration at all. Missing and murdered black women are usually invisible to the public eye and yet (for that reason, probably) they're the most likely to be victims of crime.
That's one of the reasons why it amuses me when people ask if they'll be targeted and if everyone will be paying attention to them if they poke their heads up north. The truth is that no one is really checking for them, not unless they're involved with criminal activities.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,272 times
But... but, I know someone who lives in Harlem and they love it and say its perfectly safe and beautiful!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,244 times
If you don't like Harlem, think Harlem is too dangerous, or think Harlem is overrated, don't go there. Don't live there.

If you like Harlem, don't think Harlem is too dangerous, or don't think Harlem is overrated, go there. Live there.

Got it? Can we agree to that?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,037,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
City love..that is the definition of a neighborhood in transition. You don't instantly have all new middle class people and safety...it happens in steps, sometimes in leaps, other times at a snails pace. But no doubt it is happening.

And yes there is something to be said about not preying on "outsiders." But it is less about them being "outsiders" and more about them not being involved with the wrong people/activities. That is to say, the local brown/blacks are more likely to be a target because they know someone/something, directly or indirectly, whereas the "outsider" has nothing to do with what drives crime in these nieghborhoods: Drugs, and those that are involved in the drug trade. It is more of an issue of keeping your nose clean and away from the drugs/drug dealers and their 'friends", and than it has to do with being an "outsider."
It's not only about the drugs. You could be minding your own buisness and end up getting robbed. You think the robbery rates consists of only drug dealer on drug dealer? If anything I'd say that makes up the minority. Most robberies are stick up kids praying on the innocent. Same thing with assaults. Felony assault in the hood can occur with you just staring at someone, and then the person takes offense to it and physically assaults you. Rapes have basically nothing to do with drugs. So what you're looking at is that being involved in drugs can increase your chances of being murdered ten-fold, there is a very positive correlation between homicides and drugs. But the same is not necessarily true with all the other categories. In fact, rapes, assaults, and robberies happen more often to the innocent.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 PM

33,932 posts, read 47,205,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
and you would think that it would be better right?
no, not particularly....north of st johns place (utica, rochester, buffalo) are some pretty bad areas. actually i'm not a fan of northern crown heights at all.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City