Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Did you know it was a jew who helped financed columbus trip to the new world and change th history foreve.

In looking at other Bronx boards, I came across this post from a guy with the call sign of "Sad Irish." He lived up in the Norwood area (I think it's north of Bedford Park). Anyway, his growing up experience parallels my own. And from the exchanges between him and Sobro, Sobro consistantly bangs the victim drum. Anyway, this Irish guy makes sense. But, he could use a bit of Italian to level him out! :-) Sad Irish is below.

I used to love the area I grew up in, but last summer made the mistake of going back. It was ugly, dirty, and made me so sad.

I lived in the Bronx until age 18. The Norwood area our family lived in was okay, some idiots, but in general it was a fairly safe place to live and grow up. Although we lived on a dead end street, with railroads on both sides, there was a sense of community and that if you worked hard you could do whatever you wished. There was respect for people, very little vandalism, and a general sense of community pride.

However, things began to change around 1973. The good people in our neighborhood did not want to put up with the rise in crime, encroaching racial groups that were pretty violent and whose habits and public decorum was low class. No respect for anyone.

I can recall walking along Webster Avenue when I was about 11 and from overhead a large group of Afro-American and Puerto Rican teens had taken bottles and even light bulbs from the 3rd Ave. El and hurled them down on me and several others who just happened to be passing by from the platform. We had all been minding our business and all of a sudden a shower of glass descended upon us. What had we done? Why did we deserve it? One old lady was even hit on the arm. We talked her into going around the corner to escape anymore things being hurled down on us. I was confused. I had not been a bad kid, why the hell did they do that?

It was that kind of behavior that drove off the good, decent, blue-collar and low middle class familes that populated our neighborhood. Those teens were laughing and cursing us, then disappeared in a train heading south. You have to ask yourself, why should good people have to put up with crap like that? Of course, no cops were in the area although the 52nd precinct was not too far away. White kids in our neighborhood were targeted in nearby public schools because of mandated busing. The teachers could not control the classrooms, drugs were becoming commonplace and any attempt to curb violence or enforce classroom discipline so all kids in the class could learn was very hard if not impossible. Assaults on teachers in our schools was happening! Just ten years earlier such a thing was unheard of! If you resisted and tried to keep your neighborhood safe you were labled racist, if you fought the tide with reason you were ignored because 'they needed help'.

The parks in our neighborhood went from lovely places to abandoned wilds--left to drug pushers, criminals, and sex offenders. The number of kids playing in the Mosholu Little League kept getting smaller, because some of them had been attacked by minority teens in their walks to a from games. The atmosphere of rising crime, loss of safety, changing demographics, racial incidents, etc. spelled the end of Norwood.

I really feel sad for all the old white people, you know, the ones who used to sit in the sun in their folding aluminium webbed chairs, along the streets, gabbing and enjoying the slanted sunlight that reached them from the roof tops. I recall them as a child, some of them survivors from the concentration camps--and it was good that they did not have to live in fear in the Bronx. However, by the early 1980s, they slowly disappeared from the streets--being too easy as a target for muggers and crack heads. The locked themsleves in their rent controled homes...unless they found the money to go to Co-Op City where it was less dangerous.

I am not a racist person, but I call them like I see them. A lot of different minorities 'rotated' through the Bronx as part of the American dream. Why has it not happened for those there? I would submit it's not society, not 'white privilage', or Robert Moses. It is an internal sub culture that is toxic. I knew many good Puerto Rican guys and Black guys in my high school--but they were the exception, given that it was a Catholic School. Their parents knew as well as ours did that you could not get a quality High School Education in the Bronx in the 1970s (Bronx HS of Science exempted) because of the lack of control, danger, drugs, and other ills.

It is such a shame. It was a good place, far from perfect, but it was run into the ground by liberals who thought that building projects would build better people.

Don't go to Hunts point. Riverdale still has some charm, but watch your back.
SadIrish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
And here was my response to that ridiculous comment:

You are not SadIrish..you are MisinformedIrish or RevisionistHistoryIrish. You would think someone that calls themselves Irish would know of what the Irish went through. To touch on some of your points:

-Back in the 50s and 60s there was a sense that if you worked hard you could do whatever you want...so long as you were white of course. Everyone else could just work hard, if they could find work..and you best be thankful for the little you were allowed to have. Quite a sense of community indeed!

-Those racial groups were not "encroaching"..they were seeking a place to live...like every other human being. You didn't own the neighborhood anymore than the people you 'encroached ' on owned it before you.

-The violence you experienced was about 1/10,000,000th the hate/violence/oppression people of color faced from not only the general population but from law enforcement as well. What did these people of color do? Why had they deserved this? You have to ask yourself, why should good people (or any color) have to put up with crap like that. While you complain of "white kids being targeted in nearby schools"...we have entire generations of colored folks targeted by everyone, including law enforcement, employers, the educational system, etc, and not just random kids being stupid.

-You feel sorry for all those "old white people", because clearly, they are the true victims in the Bronx, and in our society. If there is any group in the Bronx to feel sorry for, it is the old white people. And those brown and black people are evil/muggers/rapists that have preyed on them. How terrible indeed how society has been so cruel to old white men and women throughout our history, while all those evil brown and black people have ruined the world and the Bronx. RIGHT.

-I don't think you are a racist person, you are either just ignorant to what has occurred in our society, and/or placing blame where it is most convenient.

I encourage you RevisionistHistoryIrish to learn about the history of the Irish in NYC, as ignorance tends to repeat itself, and it has with you. Everywhere you state "people of color" or "minority" or "black" (etc) replace with "Irish", and you will be on your way to some enlightenment. The truth will make you a happier person and will help you realize that there is nothing wrong with Norwood today.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
In looking at other Bronx boards, I came across this post from a guy with the call sign of "Sad Irish." He lived up in the Norwood area (I think it's north of Bedford Park). Anyway, his growing up experience parallels my own. And from the exchanges between him and Sobro, Sobro consistantly bangs the victim drum. Anyway, this Irish guy makes sense. But, he could use a bit of Italian to level him out! :-) Sad Irish is below.

I used to love the area I grew up in, but last summer made the mistake of going back. It was ugly, dirty, and made me so sad.

I lived in the Bronx until age 18. The Norwood area our family lived in was okay, some idiots, but in general it was a fairly safe place to live and grow up. Although we lived on a dead end street, with railroads on both sides, there was a sense of community and that if you worked hard you could do whatever you wished. There was respect for people, very little vandalism, and a general sense of community pride.

However, things began to change around 1973. The good people in our neighborhood did not want to put up with the rise in crime, encroaching racial groups that were pretty violent and whose habits and public decorum was low class. No respect for anyone.

I can recall walking along Webster Avenue when I was about 11 and from overhead a large group of Afro-American and Puerto Rican teens had taken bottles and even light bulbs from the 3rd Ave. El and hurled them down on me and several others who just happened to be passing by from the platform. We had all been minding our business and all of a sudden a shower of glass descended upon us. What had we done? Why did we deserve it? One old lady was even hit on the arm. We talked her into going around the corner to escape anymore things being hurled down on us. I was confused. I had not been a bad kid, why the hell did they do that?

It was that kind of behavior that drove off the good, decent, blue-collar and low middle class familes that populated our neighborhood. Those teens were laughing and cursing us, then disappeared in a train heading south. You have to ask yourself, why should good people have to put up with crap like that? Of course, no cops were in the area although the 52nd precinct was not too far away. White kids in our neighborhood were targeted in nearby public schools because of mandated busing. The teachers could not control the classrooms, drugs were becoming commonplace and any attempt to curb violence or enforce classroom discipline so all kids in the class could learn was very hard if not impossible. Assaults on teachers in our schools was happening! Just ten years earlier such a thing was unheard of! If you resisted and tried to keep your neighborhood safe you were labled racist, if you fought the tide with reason you were ignored because 'they needed help'.

The parks in our neighborhood went from lovely places to abandoned wilds--left to drug pushers, criminals, and sex offenders. The number of kids playing in the Mosholu Little League kept getting smaller, because some of them had been attacked by minority teens in their walks to a from games. The atmosphere of rising crime, loss of safety, changing demographics, racial incidents, etc. spelled the end of Norwood.

I really feel sad for all the old white people, you know, the ones who used to sit in the sun in their folding aluminium webbed chairs, along the streets, gabbing and enjoying the slanted sunlight that reached them from the roof tops. I recall them as a child, some of them survivors from the concentration camps--and it was good that they did not have to live in fear in the Bronx. However, by the early 1980s, they slowly disappeared from the streets--being too easy as a target for muggers and crack heads. The locked themsleves in their rent controled homes...unless they found the money to go to Co-Op City where it was less dangerous.

I am not a racist person, but I call them like I see them. A lot of different minorities 'rotated' through the Bronx as part of the American dream. Why has it not happened for those there? I would submit it's not society, not 'white privilage', or Robert Moses. It is an internal sub culture that is toxic. I knew many good Puerto Rican guys and Black guys in my high school--but they were the exception, given that it was a Catholic School. Their parents knew as well as ours did that you could not get a quality High School Education in the Bronx in the 1970s (Bronx HS of Science exempted) because of the lack of control, danger, drugs, and other ills.

It is such a shame. It was a good place, far from perfect, but it was run into the ground by liberals who thought that building projects would build better people.

Don't go to Hunts point. Riverdale still has some charm, but watch your back.
SadIrish
Excellent post Webster Guy! What SadIrish describes is VERY true and no matter how bad you feel about your race being accused of the Bronx's downfall, the truth is the truth. Just man up to it.

Residents is what makes neighborhoods desirable or not. Not policies. The migration of black people and puerto ricans to the Bronx CREATED its downfall due to lack of respect, lack of education, lack of pride for your neighborhood, etc. You could compare Black people and puerto ricans as "cancers" that invaded the body of the Bronx.

Fast forward 50 years, the "cancer" still lives in the Bronx and spreading to healthy tissue or other desirable Bronx neighborhoods that are not ghetto.

Since Black people, puerto ricans and now dominicans aren't going to help themselves and improve their conduct and lifestyles, the ONLY SOLUTION to keeping these roaches out from further damaging the Bronx is to PRICE THEM OUT!!!

YES...price them out so that you indirectly deny them access to your community due to lack of income when you know the real reason is that if they were to move in, they would infect the community with their cancerous culture and sub-standard lifestyles.

That's how Riverdale was able to weather the "ghetto" storm back in the 70's til now....by keep their community exclusive by pricing out the trash that would decay it.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM

hilltopjay/ConservativeBX/Abetterbronxtomorrow, or whatever new screen name you are currently using to undermine City-Data's ban, you keep beating the same drum. Blame the victims! If you are broke/poor/whatever, it is all your fault! Whites are perfect, the Bronx was perfect pre-people of color, and life was good...what a joke!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
hilltopjay/ConservativeBX/Abetterbronxtomorrow, or whatever new screen name you are currently using to undermine City-Data's ban, you keep beating the same drum. Blame the victims! If you are broke/poor/whatever, it is all your fault! Whites are perfect, the Bronx was perfect pre-people of color, and life was good...what a joke!
Ignorance is bliss homie...keep blaming others for your short comings. We'll see how far it gets them in life.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
True the irish too also had a bad rap sheet in nyc. It took the irish nearly a 100 years to get act together in nyc . Just because you guys carved out a bit of st james park back in the day does not make you guys any better then the next guy. You guys should read howard zinn on how blacks and wasps in the south feared irish and jewish immigrants. in the 1920s and 1930s most of the crime in The Bronx was commited by Irish and Italians and to some extent Jews and blacks because of iprohibition laws. Bronx was known for its high crime rate back then. there are many good blacks, latinos and whites in the bronx who are educated and want a better future and for them that requires leaving the bx and nyc all together and thats something I wanna do. I agree with aspects of both sobro guy and hilltop as well as websterguy, however you guys can not have that irrational view of things but then again some of you guys are old school and old school people tend to be highly irrational. I do feel your pain about ghetto people espeicailly amongs blacks and latinos. They are stuck that way and they gonna be like that for thier entire lives. I have a friend who is ghetto, very ghetto and he told me thats how he is and nobody gonna change that. He said why should he change the way he act. Eeven down here in Mott haven we have ghetto remanant whites who are ghetto and nasty as ghetto blacks and hispanics. Eventhough I live in the hood, I choose not to be ghetto, I choose not to buy Jordan sneakers or drink Hennesey or E and J or always eating at MC Donalds and other aspects of ghetto materialism. I choose to listen to wide ranges of music variations and try to make friends of different cultures and faiths and races I even met rascits who thinks Im pretty cool and had beers with them. not alll blacks and hispanics are bad and destroy hoods. Down here in the South Bronx Nos Quedemos tried to save and salvage a dying neigborhoods for hard working and concerned residnets. Thing is that good people move no matter what race you are or your income strata, and good people dont have enough energy to be role models and examples to people who are less then them in the hood and the good people will move away to better areas and live happily ever after.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-20-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Default This is Sad Irish's response

Quote:

Below is Sad Irish's reply to Sobro. I wish I wrote as good as he does. Anyway, he has some valid points.

First off, thanks for your candor SoBro. I see I have angered you and for that I am sorry. Believe me; I have lived with a lot of people of color, in other countries, and on other continents. I have also lived in the US South quite a bit, such as Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Florida, etc. Sadly, there is still a sense of real discrimination, but over the last 30 years it’s getting weaker and weaker.

A polite society is polite no matter the color of the skin, fold of the eyes, religion or ethnicity. In the most simple of terms, my neighborhood was more polite in the late 1960s and early 1970s then now. What are polite or polite people? Well in the context of my “Norwood†they are people who honor the old, those who respect the rights of others, their property, their safety; those who understand that they are part of a larger community with standards of decorum and that they should not do as they please simply because they can (like not playing the stereo at 110 decibels at midnight with the windows open on your fire escape in July), are the folks that look out for their neighbors (for instance we used to carry senior citizens groceries up the stair to help them out (remember those collapsible aluminum pull carts?)—and if we did not, my parents would sure let us know it! In my case, it was my Irish immigrant Mother’s wooden spoon and for my Dad his belt that reinforced proper pro social behavior. Simply, it’s self respect and community respect.

The mothers in our neighborhood would ‘narc’ you out if you were doing something wrong on the street (it seemed like at least one of them was always watching out the window, arms propped on a pillow) or spied you doing something you were not supposed to do—thereby extending the range of your parents own eyes and ears—I resented it then (I did like to be a tad mischievous but never criminal) but am thankful for it now. In the “Clinton vernacular,†it does take a village.

The fathers in our neighborhood watched us play stickball after work, coached little league, served as mentors in the local scout troop and candidly, also spent a fair amount of time on leather stools dipping their thirsty blue collar mouths into glasses of Rheingold or Shaffer’s beer at local beer joints with storied names like the Black Thorn, the Killarney Irish Rose, Gorman’s Pub, etc. at the first excuse -- especially if there was a hotly contested baseball game on the TV over the bar. It was not like Ozzie and Harriet or June and Ward lived on our block; we had our fair share of dysfunctional families and problems, but you could sit out on the stoop at midnight or later and never worry if there was going to be a shooting, a mugging, a drive by, somebody breaking into your car (please note that seemingly all cars in our neighborhood were used, no one I knew owned a new car) or had to fear that a group of thugs would jump you or worse yet, harm your kids. I am not making this up, it was really that way.

I did not posit my initial comments from a lack of historical facts, rather it was just some angst and anger that tumbled out when I think of how my neighborhood looks today (well last year) in contrast with the memories of yesteryear. Seeing closed stores where there were once German bakeries, A&P supermarkets, diners, etc. gone and graffiti everywhere and a Prostitutes walking on Webster Ave was awful. What was once vibrant was now on life support.

I know a lot of Irish history, indeed I traveled back to the cottage (thatched room still on it) my Mom and eleven of her siblings were born and raised in It was small, only a turf fire to warm it and one gas lamp for light at night. For Christmas, they got an orange, or a small toy like a wooden carved car or horse. It was a tough life, so when they were teens, they left the farm and Ireland. Half came to the States, the other half to the UK. In my Mom’s case, she left at 16 and worked in the lower east side garment district. Her highest completed grade level was 6th grade. But she loved to read (Harlequin romances of all things) but importantly passed it on to us five kids. Dad never finished High School, dropping out to go to work to help with household expenses after his Dad died when he was a young teen. We did not have a lot as kids (yes, we all wore a lot of hand me downs and resented it) and did not have a working TV for years (in retrospect probably a very good thing). But there was always love AND discipline in the house—and that made all the difference.

Ireland was cursed by being next to England. I am sure you have seen or read the term that the Irish were referred as the “******s of Europe†by many in the US and Europe during the 19th and 20th century, (tying into your comment about substituting Irish for Black.) Employment signs in NY and Boston proclaimed “No Irish Need Apply†etc. Like almost all immigrant groups coming to the US, they too suffered discrimination and abuse. Every ethnic group lived in a ghetto for a time. But given that this is America, the majority of them moved up (and often out) given our then economic and social system that fostered self empowerment and improvement if you were willing to work your butt off in the marketplace and in school. Free public education—what a concept!

Ireland was brutalized under the English. England’s Lord Protector Cromwell stole Irish land, displaced tens of thousands of Irish, made English the official language—destroying a millennium of Gaelic oral traditions and speech, made the Protestant Church of England the official state church and taxed the Irish Catholics to pay for it, and overall heavily taxed the poorest of the Irish while exempting themselves. It was like France before the French Revolution of 1789. For the English overlords -- in the merry words of Mel Brooks in History of the World Part 1, “it’s good to be the King.â€

The English even cut down the great forests of Ireland to build the increasingly powerful English Navy that became their “walls of oak†in future conflicts. When the great Potato Famine hit Ireland in the late 1840s, the main food stable (the humble potato that was native to South American which fortunately thrived in the poor soil of Ireland) the Irish peasant depended on for 90% of his/her diet literally rotted to black mush in days. The potato virus was an awful agricultural pandemic in Ireland. A good book about it is “The Great Hunger†by Cecil Woodhull-Smith (sp?).

The English, in their kindness, did not help in any way, indeed they refused to sell additional food to the starving Irish and incredibly cut back on food exports to the starving island. It was a horrible place and situation to be—prompting many Irish to flee to America for both food and freedom. If you have ever read “Gulliver’s Travels†you may recognize the author as Jonathan Swift. He also wrote a satirical piece concerning the Irish famine called, “A Modest Proposal,†in which he proposed that the “Irish problem†could be solved by cannibalism. Or by selling “Irish meat†in English markets. Nice.

In a general sense, the Irish in NY/Boston/Philadelphia used the ladder of municipal employment—for a while it was like every cop and fireman in NY was named Pat or Mike. Or they worked on Subways or Els, or drove a bus. In essence, it was Tammany Hall writ large. Many others went into business and after several decades, established themselves just as successfully as the WASPS before them. Anti-Catholic prejudice was severe in our country. The KKK in the US south saw Catholics the second target of choice after Afro-Americans. Nathan Bedford Forrest was no friend of the Irish.

Many newly arrived Irish were caught up (or caused) the draft riots in NY during the Civil War. Rich WASPS paid to have poor Irishmen take their place in the Union Army in the quest to save the Republic and banish slavery. This was a horrible practice. But know this, the Irish were great fighters (like the 369th Infantry Regiment that earned the nick name “the Hell fighters from Harlem†in WWI France) and they fought with tenacity. As an example, during the battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862 the Irish Brigade marched into a well designed Confederate artillery and rifle fire gauntlet. Stonewall Jackson, on Marye’s Heights over looking the battlefield boasted that not even a chicken could walk across it unscathed. When ordered to advance, the Irish regiment marched against their Confederate objective—the covered way/stone wall at the base of the hill, all the while receiving brutal cannon and rife fire, stepping over their own dead and wounded, but nonetheless kept going forward. Very moved, General Robert E. Lee said watching them advance in the face of devastating fire, “those are the bravest men I have ever seen.†A great image of this is artist Don Troiani’s “Faugh-a-Ballah†or clear the way.

In an other for instance, the Jews who worked in the lower east side ‘mini-migrated’ to the Bronx to get out of Manhattan so their kids could see the sky, play in parks, and have more space. Many settled on the Grand Concourse—if you had an address on the “American Avenue des Champs-Élysées†then you knew you had arrived. Many of those Jews had escaped pogroms and raw discrimination in Europe and Russia, and most came to the US penniless. And look what happened. With the reality of religious freedom, economic opportunity, and an American culture that allowed people to take advantage of social mobility, many Jews rose to prominence and prosperity. Yes, their road too was paved with potholes filled with anti-Semitism and violence, yet they made it and could worship without fear. Strangely, many of them were also closet or open Socialists. They may have inadvertently planted the seeds that helped to contribute to the Bronx’s demise decades later. I do take some umbrage with your comments on what I wrote about the Nazi concentration camp survivors who lined the streets of Norwood (and other parts of the Bronx) being targeted by minority criminals in the late 1970s and 80s. Have you been to Germany and gone to Dachau? Or Bergen Beslen? I have. Have you ever read Anne Frank’s Diary? The Holocaust survivors literally went through hell on earth—and after getting to America, they found (at least for a while) a place in the sun (“Da Bronxâ€) where they did not have to ever worry again that some Jack Booted Nazi rounding them up in the middle of the night, gas them, shoot them or make them wear the Star of David on their clothing. And for these old survivors, now at the twilight of their lives, (I personally saw some of them even with faint blue tattoos of numbers on their forearms) instead of living their remaining days out without fear, instead had to retreat inside their apartments because of a change in neighborhood demographics exacerbated by the horrors of the crack epidemic. I recognize older peoples of all races make easy victims. But in this circumstance, it seems unduly cruel. Much like a black American soldier coming home from Iraq or Afghanistan having survived brutal blow ups from IEDs or firefights with the Taliban or Al Qaeda with earning an honorable discharge, gets cut down in his/her old neighborhood by the Crips or Bloods. Irony and anger for sure.

When living in Europe in the 1980s and 1990s, when a European asked me where I was from in America I always replied, “The Bronx, New York City.†About 50% of the time, they would ask me if I had seen the movie, “Fort Apache, The Bronx or The Warriors.†I would sadly say yes, but explained all of it was not bad. But think, what does the image “the Bronx is burning or Fort Apache†say to the world about NY, the Bronx, and America? That movie, made in the 1970s, very negatively portrayed the Bronx. Was that area of the Bronx in the 1950s described then as Fort Apache? No. It was largely stable and suffered from less crime and was mostly Irish/Italian/Polish and Jewish. In the 1950s and 1960s America’s poorest Congressional districts were not in NYC, mainly in Appalachia and the South. Now, it’s the Bronx. That is very sad.

Unfortunately, for many good Black and Puerto Rican Americans, a change in demographics in the Bronx was generally a very bad thing. Good people of color or Puerto Rican (now the vast majority in the Bronx) tried to get out of bad Bronx neighborhoods—moving north away from the bad actors in their largely minority populated neighborhoods. However, with the good came the bad eventually. Soon the cycle started anew. In a strange way, it may be a form of Black on Black violence. Projects did not solve problems, there is a lot of evidence it created more. This cycle consumed Norwood, Bedford Park, Fordham, Morris Hill, etc., and it is tragic, not just for the good Irish/Jew/Italian who retreated, but also for the good Black/Puerto Rican/Dominican who tried to find a better place to live.

When the Irish/Poles, etc. lived in the South Bronx, they did not destroy it in the process of reaching for upward mobility. That happened after they were gone.

Thank you for reading this SoBro You likely don’t agree with some of what I have written, but it’s the truth from my perspective. Just as you have yours

Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Funny how SadIrish always has valid points, but me? Not a word! Here is a comment from another poster in response to SadIrish:

"You must have Alzheimer's or something because your memory is completely distorted.

I'm an Irish American who has been living in NYC for over 35 years.Although I grew up in Boston,I came to NYC frequently in the 60's and stayed with an aunt, who lived in Norwood at the time. I don't remember Norwood in those days as the perfect peaceful and clean place you describe.It was filled with Irish bullies and tough asses and my aunt used to warn me about all the bad kids in the neighborhood.She didn't like to go out at night.I thought the streets were pretty grungy too... compared to my own Irish ghetto neighborhood in Boston.

In a strange twist of fate, I moved to The Bronx a few years ago. I have some cousins in Woodlawn and a Dr at Montefiore so I go through Norwood on a regular basis.If anything,it seems cleaner to me now than I remember it as back then.And I'm perfectly comfortable on the streets,even late at night."

Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Response Deux

Quote:
Funny how SadIrish always has valid points, but me? Not a word! Here is a comment from another poster in response to SadIrish:

"You must have Alzheimer's or something because your memory is completely distorted.

I'm an Irish American who has been living in NYC for over 35 years.Although I grew up in Boston,I came to NYC frequently in the 60's and stayed with an aunt, who lived in Norwood at the time. I don't remember Norwood in those days as the perfect peaceful and clean place you describe.It was filled with Irish bullies and tough asses and my aunt used to warn me about all the bad kids in the neighborhood.She didn't like to go out at night.I thought the streets were pretty grungy too... compared to my own Irish ghetto neighborhood in Boston.

In a strange twist of fate, I moved to The Bronx a few years ago. I have some cousins in Woodlawn and a Dr at Montefiore so I go through Norwood on a regular basis.If anything,it seems cleaner to me now than I remember it as back then.And I'm perfectly comfortable on the streets,even late at night."

This is a response to the Irish guys response to Sobro. Dude's name is "Moth".

That's funny. I knew the Norwood of the early 1980s and it was still largely as the sad Irish fella described. Going back years later, I was shocked by how it and Bedford Park were deteriorating. Nothing like the classic South Bronx, but still worse for wear. I have not been there in 3 years. Is it on the upswing again?

As for Irish bullies, tough guy like you should know how to handle the Ducky Boys.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
This is a response to the Irish guys response to Sobro. Dude's name is "Moth".

That's funny. I knew the Norwood of the early 1980s and it was still largely as the sad Irish fella described. Going back years later, I was shocked by how it and Bedford Park were deteriorating. Nothing like the classic South Bronx, but still worse for wear. I have not been there in 3 years. Is it on the upswing again?

As for Irish bullies, tough guy like you should know how to handle the Ducky Boys.

[+] Rate this post positively
Moth was a old poster in this forum. He was around when I first signed on.

Webster ave guy, I agree with you that everything started going down hill when people of color moved in. However, don't you think they were a product of society?

Sobroguy is absolutely correct in everything he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City