Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Funny how SadIrish always has valid points, but me? Not a word! Here is a comment from another poster in response to SadIrish:

"You must have Alzheimer's or something because your memory is completely distorted.

I'm an Irish American who has been living in NYC for over 35 years.Although I grew up in Boston,I came to NYC frequently in the 60's and stayed with an aunt, who lived in Norwood at the time. I don't remember Norwood in those days as the perfect peaceful and clean place you describe.It was filled with Irish bullies and tough asses and my aunt used to warn me about all the bad kids in the neighborhood.She didn't like to go out at night.I thought the streets were pretty grungy too... compared to my own Irish ghetto neighborhood in Boston.

In a strange twist of fate, I moved to The Bronx a few years ago. I have some cousins in Woodlawn and a Dr at Montefiore so I go through Norwood on a regular basis.If anything,it seems cleaner to me now than I remember it as back then.And I'm perfectly comfortable on the streets,even late at night."

Sobo,

I think you make a few good points, but you keep harping on victim hood.

Sad Irish made some good points whereas you generally did not. He wrote a substantial and detailed reponse to you comments, but in the string that followed you did not acknowledge it. I think anyone reading it would tend to side with his position given the facts he uses and the emotions you respond with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
I think Sad Irish experience was seen trough the eyes of a child, and the luminous capacity for tenderness and love and maybe a transcendent sense in human decency. So his experience of the "good ol Bronx" is invalid.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Default Wise Whitlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I think Sad Irish experience was seen trough the eyes of a child, and the luminous capacity for tenderness and love and maybe a transcendent sense in human decency. So his experience of the "good ol Bronx" is invalid.

Whitlock,

You have a point there. His orginal post was a 'gut' response filled with anger, whereas his response to Sobro's taking him to school was more 'structured' (that is not the right word but I am at a loss for words now).

I looked at the Back in the Bronx website and so many of the personal experiences of the people mirror in some what what Sad Irish said, so there is some truth in what he says.

Sobro brings out some good points. However, he seems to gloss over the horrors of the 1970s and 1980s...mostly done by those in brown, abbeted by landlords and liberals.

I am sure the vast majority of hispanics in the Bronx are good people. But, that significant minority of criminals and social misfits have caused the whole population to be tarred.

Oh, I apologize to Sobro, I misspelled his handle on my last post.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Anyways, it was my thread about dirty areas in the Bronx that was hijacked buy this Irish Guy reflecting on his childhood memories. Trust, what I said in my post above.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post

I am sure the vast majority of hispanics in the Bronx are good people.
But not african americans? We did not choose this fu**ing country. We were kidnapped to this "land of oporrtunity" as you very well know. smh.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
But not african americans? We did not choose this fu**ing country. We were kidnapped to this "land of oporrtunity" as you very well know. smh.

Jeez, of couse I know that!

Well, in balance, there was a guy named 'Gaskil?, (first name Gene?) who makes the argument that US blacks ended up with a much better deal strangely than those left behind in Africa. He says that although what our Black population forebears endured crossing on slaverly ships, the whip of the overseer, the miserable chattel existance, and later the repression of Jim Crow was horrible, the fate of those who were not captured on the continent was worse--much higher motality rate, subjected to European Colonial laws and 'justice' (right) and no way to economically advance. By the early 1950s, civil rights in the US gained a lot of momentum to fix the injustices of the past, and today Blacks in the US have far more opportunties, access to health care, education, etc. than do those in Africa.

I am not sure I agree with everything he says, but Africa is still in a bad, bad way. Look at Zimbabre (sp?) The Bronx needs to be better for all its people, black, white, brown.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM

So you are saying that africans were kidnapped to a better country and a quality of life?

The atrocities that happened to all kidnapped victims down south are too graphic to describe.

What do you think happened to 12-year old girls?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm logging out. Too upset.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I agree that the lack of Fathers in the home is a problem, but don't you agree that is a symptom of the larger problem? Having 1/3 of the male black population incarcerated at some time in their lives is a symptom of the larger problem also. And how about the lack of educational attainment of young black males? A symptom of the problem.

Seems like the black male is under attack..wouldn't you say? And all of these symptoms are the results of this attack. So yes I agree that a "solution" would be more Father's in the home..but you can't have that until you address the underlying problem. When the criminalization and subjugation of the population stops, ONLY THEN will you see improvements in the community, and the reduction of the symptoms.
Yes, from himself.

Nobody is forcing him to foreswear contraception. Nobody is forcing him to commit crime and end up in prison- indeed prison does not seem to be such an egregious notion to some. Nobody is forcing him to disdain education.

Interesting that you jump on some people for describing a problem with a certain demographic. Then you yourself offer a description of that very demographic that would scare the hell out anyone, thus confirming what they said.

Ya mean people do not want to live next to those who make babies, drop out of school, commit crime, and end up in Attica?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Default Not Me Man

Quote:
I'm logging out. Too upset.

Whitlock,

I am just repeating what this guy said, that blacks left back on the continant are doing worse than those who were sold into slavery in North America even though our blacks have endured the unendurable. That's the gist.

I don't have the time to research it, but some of it may be plausable, but the rest seems like bunk, ya know?

Trying not to be upsetting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City