Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 4,621 times

Advertisements

Daughter in H.S. looking at colleges in future. I'm doing some prelim. research w/a friend whose 11th grader is also looking at Elem Ed major. Came up w/some ques.:

1. How important is it to have attended a NCATE/TEAC accredited college when looking for a job? Do those who hire look for that?

2. Do the kids who attend a local NYC college have a leg up on getting a NYC teaching job after graduation (since they did their schooling/student teaching there)? Versus someone who attends, say UMD or Penn St, and who completes the 3 required tests, etc to obtain cert. in NYS (Reciprocity states)? My daughter would love to ultimately teach in NYC (we are from NJ) but is wondering if her chances are better getting that 1st job in NYC by going to a NY school? I think that's very a limiting thought, but maybe someone has advice on that.

3. Any recommended advice on getting additional certs or classes in college to make them more marketable, beyond SPED, which I know is in demand but the kids are absolutely not interested in that?

4. Is it worth going thru a 5 yr Bachelors/Masters program and looking for your 1st job w/a masters or are you pricing yourself out of the league for entry level positions?

5. Opinions on best education schools in NY area (or Northeast)? Probably look at Manhattan College, St. John's (which I am hearing it's not worth the $ based on not so great facilities, programs, and general area of school), LIU Brooklyn, Hunter (which only has 1 dorm? yikes), Pace, CCNY,Adelphi, Hofstra, Manhattanville, and then NYU and Fordham. Penn St, UMD, UDel, Holy Family, BC, Loyola? No, she DOES NOT want to go to school in NJ (though I'm FORCING her to look at TCNJ).

6. Is it worth spending 200 grand+ to go to NYU or Fordham (or BC, Loyola,etc.) when it comes to job hunting time? I understand everyone starts at the same pay, no matter the college, just wondering if certain names open more doors during hiring.

7. I wish the kids would look into some other major due to the current hiring/freeze situation for NYC teachers and across the Northeast where they want to teach! But they are dead set so far. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that in the years to come it will be a little better for future teachers!

Any help from those with expertise in this area would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,805,193 times
I roomed with a few education majors in my undergrad. Although I went to school in Ohio (my schoo's best program was education and they where known everywhere for it) I think I can shed some insight.

Right now they may be dead set on education but chances are when they begin the actual course work and student teaching they may change their mind. So it's good to attend a school with many different majors. I know people who went until their senior year and when it came time to student teach 4 or 5 days a week they realized they didn't like it.

Anyways, I am not sure about NY but in Ohio everyon takes a Praxis exam for their teaching licesnse which then you can apply to teach in other states with I believe. I know many people who went on to teach in other states and didn't have a big issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,237,397 times
My husband is a teacher so I can only answer from what I've observed:

Do not spend 200k on a private education. The student loan debt will be crippling, unless you are paying your child's tuition and money is no object.

Yes, going to school in NYC will be a leg up because of the opportunity to network.

If they don't want to do SPED, there are special programs for math and science and some programs pay a bonus for those subjects. Forget trying to get a job in elementary ed or English or Social Sciences, far too many writers/artist/etc with those degrees competing for the very few jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City