Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times

Advertisements

I love that she just sat there calmly and didn't react to his tantrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Not very common. Maybe once every few months you'll see something like that. That wasn't even a fight, unless you count a couple of douchebags yapping at each other a "fight"

I saw a real fight on the L train one Saturday night last summer. A buddy and I got on at Montrose Ave. to go to Union Square, and these two black dudes must have taken a disliking to each other because the fists starting flying within a matter of mintues right in front of me. The conductor heard the commotion since we were standing right next to his booth at the end of the car, so once the train came to stop at Bedford Ave. he threw the door open and saw them wrestling around next to the door, so he paged the cops over the PA system, (who of course didn't hear the announcement and never showed up), but we just convinced the one who started it to beat it before they did show up so nobody ended up having to be arrested, then just took off. Super random but you should have seen some of the scared *****less looks on some of the nearby passenger's faces.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:42 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times
The conductor stopped a 5 train at Grand Central this morning for 15 mins to throw off a mentally insane man just cursing everyone out, he flipped out but was just arguing with the air.

Not to be bigoted but if you ride the 7 train, the Asian women are always crazy pushing themselves onto a super packed train. I've seen so many "almost-fights", those women are rabid but its actually funny listening to them argue, haha.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times

LLOOLOLLLLOLOlol
Oh man, this one is gonna have me laughing for awhile
Yooooo, he played her hard. I so dont miss the subway.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM

483 posts, read 854,232 times
Arguments happen all the time. Especially when it's rush hour and everyone is packed in like sardines. People are pushing and are annoyed about it.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
Arguments happen all the time. Especially when it's rush hour and everyone is packed in like sardines. People are pushing and are annoyed about it.
That's called "making excuses." It's not like anyone doesn't know the trains are going to be crowded at rush hour. So people who start fights then are just looking for attention--showing off by starting a fight is also a good way to cover up for inadequacies they probably have. And they would have started a fight with another person in the middle of a desert.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:32 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
That's nothing compared to what we have to deal with where I'm at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXz-tlK2pkI

Seriously, I rode the subway daily and didn't see anything even close to a disagreement the entire time I lived up there. It's actually pretty amazing considering the number of people who ride daily and the crowded conditions.

I do wonder though...are some subway lines more polite in general than others? I typically rode the 7 and the N,R,W most often. That line on the first video looked like the L. That doesn't really surprise me. That train always had the strangest mix of younger people on there.

Where were the men on the train when that guy was going off on that chick?

Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Where were the men on the train when that guy was going off on that chick?
If you look in the beginning the chick was arguing with the black guy that he was "sexually harassing her" or something. I think the guy that went off was just pissed off at her because she wouldn't shut up.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:19 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If you look in the beginning the chick was arguing with the black guy that he was "sexually harassing her" or something. I think the guy that went off was just pissed off at her because she wouldn't shut up.
I still would have stepped in and told the punk to shut up and get over it...in a polite way at first of course. The video started after the supposed harassment so we can never tell if she overreacted or not but he sure did. The guy obviously could use a beatdown for being an obnoxious idiot.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
Bernhard Goetz - the 'Subway Vigilante'

Who can forget this famous guy who faced these punks off? I'm sure that Bernie Goetz, set the stage for many of Charles Bronson's,
thrill packed, vigilante series movies. These days, the punks are the ones carrying the pistols and the victims are armed with only their
cell-phone cameras.

On the afternoon of December 22, 1984, four African American youths boarded an express subway train in the Bronx on a mission to rob
video game machines in lower Manhattan. At about 1:40 in the afternoon, Bernhard Goetz, a slight, eyeglass-wearing 36-year-old electronics
engineer, entered the same downtown train at the 14th Street station in Manhattan. He too was on a mission.

With around 20 other passengers in the car, Goetz sat down across from the group of four. A few moments later, two of the four - Barry Allen
and Troy Canty - arose and approached Goetz. The other two, James Ramseur and Darrell Cabey, followed soon thereafter and they surrounded
Goetz. Canty asked Goetz for $5. Goetz acted as if he didn't hear Canty and asked him to repeat himself. Canty responded, "Give me your money."
Goetz stood up, drew a 38 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver from his jacket and fired shots at the youths. All four were hit and, as Cabey lay bleeding,
Goetz said "You don't look too bad, here's another." The last shot severed his spinal chord and left Cabey paralyzed.

The conductor of the train heard the shots and pulled the emergency brake cord. The train came to a stop between stations and Goetz managed to
escape through the opening between two cars and he would not be seen again for well over a week. After the shooting, Goetz rented a car and fled to
Vermont. If he thought people would forget about the shooting after a few weeks, he was wrong. Goetz finally surrendered nine days later to police in
New Hampshire on New Years Eve.

Bernhard Goetz - the 'Subway Vigilante'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City