Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,044,917 times

Advertisements

Would you say something to someone who you see is in the act of leaving their food/lunch trash on the floor of the train?

I know I would like to, but common sense says that if someone behaves in such an uncivilized manner, that they could come after me for saying something to them.

I think it should be treated like farebeating - the MTA cops should ticket them, and while they are ticketing them, they should run their names to see if there is a warrant out for their arrest.

edited to say I think this is along the lines of what could happen if I ever told someone to pick up their disgusting food trash
//www.city-data.com/forum/16710686-post10.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 08:14 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,505,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Would you say something to someone who you see is in the act of leaving their food/lunch trash on the floor of the train?
Well, since you ask, here's a little story from the days when I was a conductor...

I was working on the B train one day, when a well-dressed businessman got on board, holding a newspaper under one arm and a candy bar in his other hand. When he finished the candy bar, he balled up the wrapper and threw it to the floor--right in front of my face.

He wasn't expecting any kind of response, so believe me when I tell you that he wasn't prepared for me to ask, "Do you work in a nice office?" He stammered and fumbled for a minute, then replied, "Yes, yes I do."

I nodded at him and shot back, "If I walked into your office and started throwing trash on the floor, the first thing you'd do is call a cop, wouldn't you? Well, guess what--this train is my office." He turned several shades of red all at once, and mumbled something like an apology as he bent down to pick up his garbage.

Passengers who insisted on acting like pigs always got commentary from me, when I was on the trains.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,433,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, since you ask, here's a little story from the days when I was a conductor...

I was working on the B train one day, when a well-dressed businessman got on board, holding a newspaper under one arm and a candy bar in his other hand. When he finished the candy bar, he balled up the wrapper and threw it to the floor--right in front of my face.

He wasn't expecting any kind of response, so believe me when I tell you that he wasn't prepared for me to ask, "Do you work in a nice office?" He stammered and fumbled for a minute, then replied, "Yes, yes I do."

I nodded at him and shot back, "If I walked into your office and started throwing trash on the floor, the first thing you'd do is call a cop, wouldn't you? Well, guess what--this train is my office." He turned several shades of red all at once, and mumbled something like an apology as he bent down to pick up his garbage.

Passengers who insisted on acting like pigs always got commentary from me, when I was on the trains.
your right about the office thing .

Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 AM

101 posts, read 299,953 times
No need to be judgmental or nasty. Just assume the person 'forgot' to pick their trash up and say something along the lines, excuse me, I think you left something here, etc. etc. Lets all take responsibility for each other's behavior and stop being scared. I once chased after some teens with her gum wrapper and said - I think you forgot this. LOL

Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
No need to be judgmental or nasty. Just assume the person 'forgot' to pick their trash up...
Well, maybe you had to be there. But this guy most certainly did not 'forget' to pick up his trash. He threw it on the floor intentionally. I can promise you that he wouldn't have done that on the Long Island Railroad in a million years. But put him on the B train, and all of a sudden it's, "Well, what's the difference anyway."

When you work on the trains, watching people behave like pigs gets under your skin rather quickly. You can't make me feel bad about talking back to someone who acts like that.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,328,299 times
I would agree with you Fred, and as a conductor/employee of the MTA you have the perceived authority to question people's inappropriate behavior. However, you as well as anyone else knows that people believe "How dare you question me. Who are you?" So I do not recommend people confront these pigs, as that behavior alone indicates they don't care/have no respect for you, the train, or themselves. And you will likely create a bigger problem for yourself, so it really isn't worth it.

I have found that when they throw it on the floor, simply picking it up in front of them and throwing it away says everything that needs to be said to them and to the other passengers.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:29 AM

916 posts, read 2,239,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would agree with you Fred, and as a conductor/employee of the MTA you have the perceived authority to question people's inappropriate behavior. However, you as well as anyone else knows that people believe "How dare you question me. Who are you?" So I do not recommend people confront these pigs, as that behavior alone indicates they don't care/have no respect for you, the train, or themselves. And you will likely create a bigger problem for yourself, so it really isn't worth it.

I have found that when they throw it on the floor, simply picking it up in front of them and throwing it away says everything that needs to be said to them and to the other passengers.
You don't want to do that if those "pigs" are young teen trouble makers.
They are already looking for trouble even if you don't do anything. If you
do that right in front them, they will think you are taunting them, the next
piece of garbage will probably be heading towards you instead of the floor.

Sad to say this, but is not worth it unless you are a police officer
or someone with authority. Good chances you'll get some verbal
abuse or even beat up for trying to act like a civilized human being.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,328,299 times
I would not bother with teens as they are just kids. I am speaking strictly of adults, and of course I recommend people use their best judgment. And to clarify you would not get beat up/verbally abused for acting like a civilized human being, you may get "backtalk"/attitude for pointing out someone's mistake/purposeful action.

And in this country of freedom and "I can do what I want when I want and I don't care about anyone", any sort of social norms or acceptable behaviors go out the door. And this is why nobody can say anything to anyone else about anything.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would agree with you Fred, and as a conductor/employee of the MTA you have the perceived authority to question people's inappropriate behavior.
It's not 'perceived' authority; it's actual authority, printed in black & white in our official rule book. The conductor is officially in charge of the train. On the other hand, I'm not an idiot. After a while, you develop a pretty good sense of whom you can confront and whom you can't. The fact that I'm still alive and able to type these words proves that I knew my customers quite well!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,779,018 times
Maybe the MTA should look at what the PATH does when ppl who litter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City