Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

So you are white and you want mimic NYC minority urban culture but you don't want to live around the people you would like to mimic. Bad approach to life but after being spoon fed TV culture for 17 years this is what we have. Nobody from here is going to respect/yield attention to some whiteboy from palookaville.

What is odd is that the greatest true hiphop artist in New York is a whiteboy, none other than the living legend JA from the XTC crew. But he is near 40 and unknown outside hardcore circles.

Maybe you should get in touch with your culture. If you are white you have thousands of years of European culture to learn about that was most likely ignored by your schools, your media and your own American family. There is no reason to ignore those thousands of years of the battles, triumphs, discoveries and culture. That is your nation and it is your duty to know who you are. When the chips are down that is all you will ever have. You have no duty to learn about life in the PJ's. You want to be a b-boy go do some throw ups on the highway overpass in your town, or go get a square of linoleum and get down, but there is no reason to come here to do that.

If you were here it would amounted to a collection of beatdowns, put downs and sour memories. This is what you want to be around? It is time the young stop focusing on the modern culture of urban hoodrats in NYC and get in touch with themselves.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 07-10-2007 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:35 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
So you are white and you want mimic NYC minority urban culture but you don't want to live around the people you would like to mimic. Bad approach to life but after being spoon fed TV culture for 17 years this is what we have. Nobody from here is going to respect/yield attention to some whiteboy from palookaville.

What is odd is that the greatest true hiphop artist in New York is a whiteboy, none other than the living legend JA from the XTC crew. But he is near 40 and unknown outside hardcore circles.

Maybe you should get in touch with your culture. If you are white you have thousands of years of European culture to learn about that was most likely ignored by your schools, your media and your own American family. There is no reason to ignore those thousands of years of the battles, triumphs, discoveries and culture. That is your nation and it is your duty to know who you are. When the chips are down that is all you will ever have. You have no duty to learn about life in the PJ's. You want to be a b-boy go do some throw ups on the highway overpass in your town, or go get a square of linoleum and get down, but there is no reason to come here to do that.

If you were here it would amounted to a collection of beatdowns, put downs and sour memories. This is what you want to be around? It is time the young stop focusing on the modern culture of urban hoodrats in NYC and get in touch with themselves.
Moderator! Moderator! Kook Alert!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
Well, I don't wanna just move there without some sort of financial backup...

I wanna go to college first, ETC, but I'm still thinking. As a young single dude in the future in my 20's I think it would be incredible to experience NY, and The LES sounds AWESOME!!! Like EXACTLY what I was hoping for. $1,500 for me isn't that high, I make like 25G's a year and I'm only 17 an don't even have a real job. Once I get some other streams of income it will be on lock, no problems.
Keep in mind that the vacancy rate in Manhattan (which includes the LES) hovers at approximately 1%. That $1,500 studio you want? You'll be competing for it against much older, much more established people.

And don't forget, if you're 17 now, by the time you move here in your 20's that studio will probably cost closer to $2,000/month. Standard rental criteria here are that you earn 40x the monthly rent -- so you'd better have an $80,000/year job in hand (plus 12%-15% for the broker fee) before you even start filling out the application.

I agree that NYC is a fantastic place -- I first moved here when I was 19 -- but you need to be prepared. And realistic about your options.

Best of luck!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post

Must have not read my post completely. I don't want to live in the ghetto, I don't want to live in the hood, I want to live near a thriving community where Hip Hop exists.

What really offends me is when you said "You have no duty to learn about life in the PJ's." I said almost in my first sentence that I don't want to live there, and the reason is I ALREADY KNOW! I lived in a project 3 years of my life, the WORST 3 years of my life.
I never said I wanted to be anywhere near there, and I never said I had not been there.
I'm a Producer and Rapper. I love being in a city and I am planning my future out now so I will be successful and not end up a failure like you obviously are.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-11-2007 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 AM

55 posts, read 516,257 times
go and follow your dream and dont let anyone put you of ( I dont think you would anyway!) Oh and can you pm me with some beats!

Who are your favorite NY hip hop artists?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Maybe you are gonna be the next emenim?
BTW He moved the other side of 8 mile now.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 AM

201 posts, read 1,282,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big happy View Post
go and follow your dream and dont let anyone put you of ( I dont think you would anyway!) Oh and can you pm me with some beats!

Who are your favorite NY hip hop artists?
I like ALOT of them, mostly the older school. Here is some of my ALL TIME favorites...

Big L
Notorious B.I.G
Big Pun
Kool G. Rap
Big Daddy Kane
Jay-Z (Before Vol. 2)
Rakim
NaS
Buckshot (From Black Moon)
Gza (From Wu Tang)
Raekwon (From Wu Tang
A Tribe Called Quest
Masta Ace
Prodigy (Of Mobb Deep)
MF Doom
Fat Joe (Back when Pun was writing his ish)
Joe Budden (Current Favorite)
BlackStar
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Sean Price

And many many more.....

As far as Production, my 2 favorites are Pete Rock & Beatminerz
I'll PM you with some of my beats.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
May I remind you to just be prepared. At 25K a year, you will have to do some serious budgeting in this city! Not that it can't be done, but like I said, be prepared.

And at 17, your situation in this city may be a bit more difficult, if not much more. As someone said, Landlords want someone who's stable. And that normally means older, and more established economically and employment-wise.

I know a lot of people won't like this, but due to your salary, don't totally write off public housing or having a Section 8 voucher! Every PJ isn't bad (research, and put in applcations for the good ones--there are some good ones!), and at your salary, use that residence as a stepping stone until you can get more financially established.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 AM

32 posts, read 98,939 times
Kid, I am the complete opposite of you. In my 30's, married, living in the burbs. However, I admire your enthusiasm and passion. Keep following your dreams....they will become your reality!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
If you want banging hip-hop and a mad graffiti scene, look no further than the Grand Concourse area of the Bronx. Grandmaster flash came from the area. Wild Style was filmed on the 4 train along Jerome. Bronx is where it's at.

Also, shout out to five points in LIC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: