Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:57 AM

12 posts, read 23,981 times

Advertisements

1. Most populated city in the U.S.
2. Most populated metro area in U.S.
3. Most densely populated large city in U.S.
4. Most densely populated county in U.S. (New York county/Manhattan)
5. Most populated island in the U.S. and 7th in the world (long Island)
6. More Jewish people in the world outside of Isreal.
7. Largest black population in the U.S.
8. Most diverse population in the U.S. -by the way, I keep reading how segregated we are. That is not true. If a person is for instance from Russia moving here for the first time, usually he/she would move to a neighborhood that has stores and services catered to that country. If it is segreation, it is by choice. Like any place else, there may be to some degree of systematic segregation, but no more than any place else.
9. 3rd smallest county in the U.S. (New York county only 22 square land miles)
10. Depending on the source, the 3rd largest consolidated metro area in the world with 22 million people.
11. Largest Russian population in the world outside of Russia.
12. Largest Dominican population in the world outside of Santo Domingo.
13. Most densely and most populated as well as the wealthiest zip code in the U.S. (10021 in Manhattan)
Funny fact: The only city in the U.S. that does not have a Wal-Mart.

I invite you all to add to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 PM

12 posts, read 23,981 times
Oh, and the only city where the population of my block (about 5000 people) is more than many small towns.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:23 PM

98 posts, read 189,998 times
most of the things youve listed neither add or retract from greatness.

turns out, youre probably just full of yourself

Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 PM

244 posts, read 664,488 times
Yes, way too congested and dirty.
And the higher percentage of people, the higher percentage
of idiots too. 2 of 10 people are annoying idiots.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 PM

956 posts, read 1,206,915 times
Actually this is what I really hate and dispraise from people. Looking at the numbers. Oh look I live in a place that has a bigger population than another state. Who cares????? Those things don't make NYC special. Many people want some privacy and SPACE. Give me some room! We live in such a huge country, so what should everyone live right on top of everyone?

Miami has a nice diverse population too and so do many other cities and towns across America.

What makes NYC stand out from the rest of the country is Manhattan.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Please remeber that this is not the City vs. City forum. Comparisons of other cities are not on-topic for purposes of the NYC forum. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 AM
grant516

n/a posts
There are thousands of Cities that do not have a Wal-Mart-

Including Boston, San Francisco, and a few other top 25 populated cities.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 AM

215 posts, read 519,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Actually this is what I really hate and dispraise from people. Looking at the numbers. Oh look I live in a place that has a bigger population than another state. Who cares????? Those things don't make NYC special. Many people want some privacy and SPACE. Give me some room! We live in such a huge country, so what should everyone live right on top of everyone?

Miami has a nice diverse population too and so do many other cities and towns across America.

What makes NYC stand out from the rest of the country is Manhattan.
What makes Mahattan Manhattan is its density and walkability.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 PM

588 posts, read 947,070 times
Highest density/ population isn't a good thing.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:00 PM

956 posts, read 1,206,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
What makes Mahattan Manhattan is its density and walkability.
It's workability for sure. Everything is right at your fingertips within just a half mile radius (unless living wayy uptown). If not walking there is plenty of taxi, subway, bus service. Then there are the museums, thousands of fine dining restaurant of any kind of cruise you can imagine, broadway shows, tons and tons of nightlife, plenty of sites to visit and the list goes on and on.

One should never been bored in Manhattan because even at 3am there is always something going on any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City