Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 04:04 PM

31 posts, read 159,555 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

I will be moving to New York and I am wondering where could I purchase furniture. Most of the stores in the city offer free delivery, however, the furnitures are a lot more expensive than Amazon (free shipping as well).

Where do New Yorkers buy new furniture? What about Ikea?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:08 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
There is an IKEA in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Also there are several small furniture stores in Astoria, Queens.
Macy's has furniture store on Queens Blvd. and across a street from there are also a few furniture stores.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
If you buy all your furniture from Ikea, remember that it takes time to put it all together. I guess the same would be true if you're buying from Amazon as well.

There are also Ikeas nearby in NJ and on Long Island. If I had a somewhat limited budget and wanted all new furniture, I would buy everything at Ikea and pay the delivery charge.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geryorama View Post
Hello everybody!

I will be moving to New York and I am wondering where could I purchase furniture. Most of the stores in the city offer free delivery, however, the furnitures are a lot more expensive than Amazon (free shipping as well).

Where do New Yorkers buy new furniture? What about Ikea?

Thanks
I never heard of somebody buying furniture online from Amazon. This is a type of a purchase that you want to see for yourself inside a store. Free delivery for furniture?
if that is what they say then it's added on to the price of
the piece of furniture.

Ikea, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm come to mind. Most people go with used furniture when first moving to NYC, makes more sense economically. Now if you were buying a Condo or a Co op and are planning to live there for a long time, then buying new furniture makes sense.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times
If you are looking on the lines of Ikea I would suggest going to Bobs furniture- they have a much more larger selection

Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
Yep, most of the furniture in my first place came from other people's cast-offs in my own building (one of my neighbors saw me wearing a leopard coat and dropped off some awesome leopard and bamboo chairs in front of my door), the street, or vintage stores.

It isn't as safe now with the bedbug invasion, but I would still take hard goods off of the street.

Does the NYC phenomenon of leaving unwanted items in your laundry room or lobby for reuse by neighbors happen in other places? I never saw that when I lived in apts in LA or NorCal.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,528 times
I have purchased things from the Door Store, Crate & Barrel, Gothic Cabinet & Craft. Of course Macy's also sells furniture.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 PM

31 posts, read 159,555 times
Thanks guys for the valuable advice. I know it is more economical to purchase used furniture, however, I don't want to risk it because of the bed bugs!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geryorama View Post
Thanks guys for the valuable advice. I know it is more economical to purchase used furniture, however, I don't want to risk it because of the bed bugs!
Smart thinking. I stopped my used furniture purchases a few years ago after my friend had to leave her apartment due to pervasive bedbugs in her building (and this was around 2005 or 6!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City