Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has a very successful retail business in Port Jefferson. The business lures tourist and locals. He has entertained the idea of opening a branch in the City but Manhattan rental prices don't justify the profits. I'm curious and would love to pass on this info to him neighborhoods, intersections or streets in the outer boroughs that have high foot traffic. What do you think are the 10 highest foot traffic streets in the outer boroughs. I would imagine Fulton st. in Downtown Brooklyn being one of them. Could anyone name any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Fordham Rd in the Bronx is the 3rd largest retail corridor in all of NYC, strange how you mention Fulton St but not Fordham Rd. As a result, it has very high foot traffic, though not so much for tourists, but then again, neither does Fulton St.

I am willing to bet that the Yankee stadium area, on game days, rivals anywhere else in the city for foot traffic, however this is a seasonable area, so it would depend on his business. I would say those 2 are about it for the Bronx for foot traffic. We have the HUB (149th and 3rd ave area) also but that's not ready for prime time just yet.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
I'd imagine Flushing would have high foot traffic.

Park Slope has lots of people walking around, but it's not that central.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Jackson Heights, Queens

Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Fordham Rd in the Bronx is the 3rd largest retail corridor in all of NYC, strange how you mention Fulton St but not Fordham Rd. As a result, it has very high foot traffic, though not so much for tourists, but then again, neither does Fulton St.

I am willing to bet that the Yankee stadium area, on game days, rivals anywhere else in the city for foot traffic, however this is a seasonable area, so it would depend on his business. I would say those 2 are about it for the Bronx for foot traffic. We have the HUB (149th and 3rd ave area) also but that's not ready for prime time just yet.
My childhood home is Carroll Gardens. I remeber lots of major departments stores like A&S, Korvettes, Martins and I know that area still has a lot of foot traffic and depatment stores. Sorry but I didn't notice foot traffic at that level at Fordham or any major magnet stores. However I did notice a lot of car traffic. Being next to the university I would guess there should be lots of foot traffic with the students.

Someone mentioned Flushing, I agree there is a lot of foot traffic there plus a Macy's. So I imagine it hits many demographics.

BTW what's the subway stop for Fordham, I've only been there by bus.

Last edited by 1nevets; 11-23-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
My childhood home is Carroll Gardens. I remeber lots of major departments stores like A&S, Korvettes, Martins and I know that area still has a lot of foot traffic and depatment stores. Sorry but I didn't notice foot traffic at that level at Fordham or any major magnet stores.. However I did notice a lot of car traffic.However, being next to the university there should be lots of foot traffic with the students.

Someone mentioned Flushing, I agree there is a lot of foot traffic there plus a Macy's. So I imagine it hits many demographics.

BTW what's the subway stop for Fordham, I've only been there by bus.
The '4' at Jerome Avenue and the 'D' at the Grand Concourse.
The Metro North also stops at Fordham at the University off of Webster Avenue where 3rd and Park Avenues end.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
The '4' at Jerome Avenue and the 'D' at the Grand Concourse.
The Metro North also stops at Fordham at the University off of Webster Avenue where 3rd and Park Avenues end.
Aren't those stops a long walk from the downtown center? Thanks for the info.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Fordham Rd definitely has the highest foot traffic in the Bx and one of the highest in the city.It's not so much around Fordham U but further West from Webster past The Grand Concourse and over to Devoe Park( University Place) is quite intense.Around the intersection with the Concourse is probably the heaviest.The subway stop(s) would be the Fordham Metro North station(2nd busiest on Metro North next to Grand central) at 3rd Avenue,the B and D stop at The Grand Concourse and the 4 stop on Jerome and Fordham. The stops are all called Fordham.There may not be a Macy's but there are numerous old style multi level department stores with escalators,etc as well as Sears,Best Buy,P.C. Richards,Toys r us,Staples and every other big box chain and food chain that has every been invented.

Take a walk from the Fordham metro north station all the way to Devoe Park( and up and down the Grand Concourse at the Fordham Rd intersection)...you will be amazed.

Bay Ridge has a pretty busy shopping district too... must be one of the busiest in Brooklyn.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-23-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
The area around Borough Hall in Brooklyn--especially Court and Montague Streets. 7 Avenue in Park Slope. Broadway in Williamsburg. Almost anywhere along Flatbush Avenue. 8 Avenue (which is the center of Brooklyn's new Chinatown).

Old 11-23-2010, 10:38 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,667 times
Areas around downtown Brooklyn, Court St in Cobble Hill. addition to the Fulton St
7th Ave in Park Slope too.
A very small strip on 86th St in Bay Ridge is usually very crowded but the rental rents are supposed to be very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City