Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times

Advertisements

I read the article and the only thought I have is this: Sure they are "happy" to be here and are willing to make the sacrifices. But how long can someone live in a 6 x 8 room and not think you are in jail? When does having all your clothes under your bed become ridiculous? It's ok so long as you don't actually want to be an adult.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/realestate/14cov.html

Seems like this article didn't touch on how long they would live under these conditions. Or at what point they would want to have space enough to have a double bed and not just a cot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 01:19 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,056 times
Yeah....that's why I put a little effort into finding an apartment. I don't know the square footage, but I pay just a little more than the first guy in the story, have my own room with a decent-sized closet, more than enough space for my bed, desk, shelves, and tables....and then there's the rest of the apartment with its full kitchen, living room, two other rooms and hallways. And I'm on the younger end of 20-something!
Don't understand why people will settle for living in closets just so that they can avoid having roommates and/or live in a trendy area.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I read the article and the only thought I have is this: Sure they are "happy" to be here and are willing to make the sacrifices. But how long can someone live in a 6 x 8 room and not think you are in jail? When does having all your clothes under your bed become ridiculous? It's ok so long as you don't actually want to be an adult.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/realestate/14cov.html

Seems like this article didn't touch on how long they would live under these conditions. Or at what point they would want to have space enough to have a double bed and not just a cot.

I made it 4 years- just long enough to jump-start my career and move up the corporate ladder high enough so that a lovely company in my home state would pay a premium to hire a mid-level manager with "NYC experience".....important because my industry is HQ'ed in NYC.

I actually enjoyed living in my own little closet (250sf studio which I paid from just under $1300 up to around $1450-ish for from 2003-2006) MUCH, MUCH more than I did sharing a tiinnny 1 br converted into 2 with a roomate in 2002. Now THAT was miserable!

I say - in your 20's, it's not likely that you're home a lot anyways so it really doesn't matter where you live for the 2-5 years most 20-somethings live in the city. During the week you're working until 7, 8, 9, 10pm and on the weekends you're out with friends having fun & exploring the city.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
The key sentence is:
Still young adults swarm to the city, especially those eager to pursue careers in finance, the arts, media and other fields for which New York has long served as the nation’s heart.
The sacrifices don't make sense without the career component.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
I understand the sacrifices, however I think they should also have addressed the reality that in the long-term it is unsustainable. And when you have a neighborhood filled with transients renting 6x8 rooms, what kind of community is that? It isn't.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I understand the sacrifices, however I think they should also have addressed the reality that in the long-term it is unsustainable. And when you have a neighborhood filled with transients renting 6x8 rooms, what kind of community is that? It isn't.

Actually, it's a great community if you're in those fields listed above (arts, fashion, pr, media, etc). I made most of my best friends from my 20's through my neighbors, coworkers, and friends of neighbors and coworkers. Almost all the girls worked for department stores as assistant buyers, wholesale vendors as sales reps, or magazines as asst/jr editors. We had a blast!!

Sure, it's a little transient, but it's more likely that so-and-so moved in with her boyfriend or moved home to Florida, and then next wave of Saks or Bloomie's Assistant Buyers move in to their old places.

It's not like your neighbors are grungy addicts who are graduating from halfway houses....these are generally extremely well educated (Yale, Brown, Columbia, Penn, UNC, UVA, Amherst, etc), well groomed young women.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:21 PM

64 posts, read 161,718 times
I dont get it... I havent moved to NYC yet but will be in less than a month. and so far my apartment hunting on the internet has shown that for $1000/month u can get a decent sized(500-700sq ft) 1bedroom or studio in queens, brooklyn, or even in manhattan in wash heights or inwood...

Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM

149 posts, read 358,577 times
Quote:
I don't know if I would say it isn't sustainable. Quite a few cities have relatively transient populations (Washington, DC and Los Angeles come to mind) and do alright. It certainly isn't ideal though, considering people who are rooted in their neighborhoods tend to care more about local politics and the betterment of the environment overall. If you know you'll be gone in a few years anyway, why care?

Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shablee33 View Post
I dont get it... I havent moved to NYC yet but will be in less than a month. and so far my apartment hunting on the internet has shown that for $1000/month u can get a decent sized(500-700sq ft) 1bedroom or studio in queens, brooklyn, or even in manhattan in wash heights or inwood...

Yes, but not in the desirable neighborhoods mentioned in the article, like the Lower East Side, which is a huge nightlife hotspot. In the less desirable nabes mentioned, the shares were a lot cheaper ($350-500/mo).

When I moved to NYC at 22, I wasn't moving to NYC to live in Queens, BK, etc....I was moving to Manhattan and didn't care how small the apartment was as long as it was in a GREAT neighborhood of Manhattan (great = safe, good shopping, easy 20 minute or less commute to work due to the long hours and late nights).

Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM

25 posts, read 31,034 times
ewww... thank God my parents can afford to get me a nice luxury apartment when I move to NYC next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City