Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 AM

121 posts, read 175,491 times

Advertisements

Ground Zero mosque developers apply for $5m grant from 9/11 fund | Mail Online

Park51 Applies for $5M in 9/11 Recovery Money to Build Mosque Near Ground Zero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 06:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
They should not get 5m from the recovery money. THe reason, its federal money and the federal government should not fund or support and religous structure or doctrine. Mosque is being built with private funds from investors and donations from the community its located in. You have to remember we have seperation of Church and State, if the government gives any religous group money then they are supporting religion. I did support the construction of it due to freedom of religion and the 1st amendment but I dont support the par51 mosque getting 5m in government aide. I love following the rules of the law of the land, I dont know why many people especially here in NYC like to overide them and get their way?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Actions like these make you think there's more than just a desire to open a mosque behind all this, don't they?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 AM

7 posts, read 55,201 times
That`s because no political leader has the balls to just say **** OFF!! Money caters to money.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBEONER View Post
That`s because no political leader has the balls to just say **** OFF!! Money caters to money.
It's not that they don't have "the balls." They don't have the authority.
We are supposed to be a nation of laws not an autocracy.Our current mayor is already disturbingly autocratic and I'm glad he( or anyone else) doesn't have the authority to be the final decider.
Any leader can say "**** OFF"( and some have) as much as they want.It's not going to make a difference.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:33 PM

56 posts, read 415,099 times
the goverment is a huge disgrace to the U.S.A. they will pay $5M for a mosque that is a spit in the face to america, but they wont help pay or speed up the process for the WTC. the goverment was made to *********r lives up not help you. so screw the goverment!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA6TRAIN View Post
the goverment is a huge disgrace to the U.S.A. they will pay $5M for a mosque that is a spit in the face to america, but they wont help pay or speed up the process for the WTC. the goverment was made to *********r lives up not help you. so screw the goverment!
The Park51 people applied for $5 million the grant money, which of course is not enough to actually build anything, but for certain programs that fall under the LMDC's cultural guidelines. ("According to the LMDC’s guidelines for the grant program, religious groups can apply for funding as long as it is used for “for a facility or a portion of a facility that is dedicated to non-religious activities or uses.”')

This doesn't mean that they are going to get it. They've got a lot of competition for that money. Part of the criteria is that the proposed grantee has to demonstrate their potential to actually have a plan and the ability to follow through with what they want to do. My guess is that they won't meet that criteria, since they don't even have the funds in place to build the facility at which these proposed programs will be held.

Your remarks about the WTC don't really make sense. You've got about 2000 workers per day on the entire site with over a 100 contracts awarded. The WTC is getting about $1.5 billion in FTA funding for the construction of the permanent PATH station. Liberty Bonds were issued to partly pay for One WTC. The Memorial is being built with private donations. Two, Three and Four are being built with the portion of Silverstein's insurance money that he didn't have to hand over along with the construction of One under the 2005 agreement with the PA. It's a complicated project, or rather a set of projects, and speeding it up any further just for the sake of speeding it up won't necessarily work with the logistics.

The Tribeca Trib - Park51 Islamic Center is Among Applicants for LMDC Grant Money (http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/2010/november/803_park51-islamic-cultural-center-applies-for-lmdc-grant-funds.html - broken link)

Old 11-26-2010, 02:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
I don't like the sound of this... Are they trying to make the mosque bomb proof or something?
They're not telling us a whole lot. They have hypocritical rights being in the US, but why so secretive?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I don't like the sound of this... Are they trying to make the mosque bomb proof or something?
They're not telling us a whole lot. They have hypocritical rights being in the US, but why so secretive?
What is secretive about "A post on the project's website said the grant money would "in part" fund social service programs for Lower Manhattan residents, including "domestic violence prevention, Arabic and other foreign language classes, programs and services for homeless veterans, two multi-cultural art exhibits and immigration services."

I don't like the idea of the money being given to a religious institution unless there will be monitoring to ensure that it will be used for the non-religious purposes that it is claiming to use it for--and I'm pretty damn sure, knowing something about how other federal grants work, that this will be monitored--but I really don't understand where ideas like "bomb-proofing" are coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City