Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:50 PM

23 posts, read 62,382 times

Advertisements

im very confused. im from myrtle beach, sc. me and my friend were planning on moving to new york and living there this summer, after our freshman year of college.

I researched the new york areas a little (harlem, queens) and found a few neighborhoods that I thought seemed like an OK place to live so I searched for some two bedrooms in those areas.

They are all $2,000+ per MONTH! where im from, a really really nice two bedroom would be like 800 per month.

so my question is, how on earth can anyone live and survive in new york? Is there some secret I dont know about? is minimum wage $20 an hour or something??

I cant believe how expensive these apartments are, they aren't even nice.

is there any possible way a couple of people could get a job and afford an apartment in new york?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 07:02 PM

244 posts, read 662,974 times
Quote:
cant believe how expensive these apartments are, they aren't even nice.
But the rats, mice, and roaches like em'. (and now bed bugs)

Old 11-25-2010, 07:50 PM

756 posts, read 2,272,823 times
New York is expensive. If you think $2,000 for a two bedroom is expensive, try looking at some one bedrooms in Manhattan!

Anyway, you don't make it clear from your post: are you looking to just move there for a few months during the summer? If so, you're probably not going to be able to enter in to a full-fledged lease—you'd be better off trying to find a sublet on Craigslist from a pre-existing tenant.

If you are planning on staying permanently, will you have annual income of at least 40x the monthly rent? If not, do you have a guarantor who makes 80x the monthly rent? If the answer to both of those things is no, you're mostly SOL.

You need to seriously examine WHY you want to live here, even if temporarily, and if it's worth the financial sacrifice.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,985,138 times
New York is not a place to just move to in a willy nilly sort of way.
You have to have a plan and a realistic way to execute the plan...... or financing.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:36 PM

42 posts, read 99,946 times
If you're subletting (roommates), then $2,000 a month expenses is doable. Like the previous posts -- it's all about planning. I keep track of all my spending - from rent to a stick of gum. My expenses for October is right around $2k. This month is almost the same... probably go a little over $2k due to me buying clothes.

I live out in Park Slope by the way.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 PM

442 posts, read 1,293,709 times
we go hard for the money

Old 11-25-2010, 10:02 PM

824 posts, read 2,783,356 times
I think I want to move to Myrtle Beach

Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 PM

23 posts, read 62,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnang View Post
If you're subletting (roommates), then $2,000 a month expenses is doable. Like the previous posts -- it's all about planning. I keep track of all my spending - from rent to a stick of gum. My expenses for October is right around $2k. This month is almost the same... probably go a little over $2k due to me buying clothes.

I live out in Park Slope by the way.
park slope sounds familiar. I think that was one of the places I looked up. brooklyn? so you think if me and one other person rented a small apartment and got jobs we could pull it off? It was just a huge shock to see those prices so expensive. everything is just so cheap down here.

Does anyone mind if I ask how much they make? or what the average wage is? minimum wage?

Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,806,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armySC View Post
]
Does anyone mind if I ask how much they make? or what the average wage is? minimum wage?
Minimum wage is $7 something an hour. I make 0 dollars and hour and I attend school. My apartment is $2400 for a studio.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:22 PM

442 posts, read 1,293,709 times
i make like 65k a year im 25. i was makin 35-40 for a while and strugglin, ivee been strugglin for a long time now im finally gettin paid. ive been hustlin and sellin stuff on ebay since middle school i wake up and think of how to get rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City