Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 13,675 times

Advertisements

Ok. I'll get straight to the point. I'm 25 yrs old. I've been living on my own for a yr now ever since my parents left the country on retirement. (Lucky them!!) I'm struggling paying bills, loans, especially rent. I've been thinking about applying to NYCHA. I don't know how it works. I've checked their site, but I'd like some feedback from anyone who's applied, or who already lives in any of the NYCHA developments in NYC. I've lived in NYC my entire life, NEVER in the projects. Everyone is telling me I must be crazy to be thinking about living in the projects, but I need to start saving money and get back on my feet. I don't know what else to do? I'm single, work full time, no kids, but I can't afford to live in a decent one bedroom apartment here in Queens. Rent is ridiculous!! UGH!!
-Is living in housing any cheaper then regular rent?
-Being that I will be applying to live alone, are my chances of getting a place lower or higher compared to these other big families?
-If I apply, do you think I will EVERRR hear a reply any time soon???
-I've lived in Queens my entire life in a decent area, Jackson Heights. I honestly wouldn't mind living in another borough. I have extremely tough skin. Not afraid of much! Let's say I do apply, which housing developments do u guys recommend?? I don't need a list of the BEST ONES that will take YEARS to get into....I know about the good ones here in Queens but It'll be years to hear from there. but any OK ones, maybe in Brooklyn (if any? lol). (I'm a young Hispanic, born here, I'm used to the ethnic diversity, and 'craziness'- I know what to expect. Which ones in any other borough out of Queens are the better/okay ones where I don't have to fear for my life when I step out BUT are a bit faster to get into???
I have so many questions, but if anyone can answer these please help me. And feel free to let me know about ANYTHING else!!! THANK YOUUUUU!!!

Last edited by ConfusedNYer; 11-26-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM

91 posts, read 311,879 times
You can look up the nearest NYCHA office in Queens and pick up an application. It will take anywhere from months to a year to hear back from them, due to the high volume of applications they receive. Your chances are better since you are single though.

HUD also has lotteries for apartments that are rent-subsidized. The link is as follows:

HPD - Apartment Seekers - Current Housing Lotteries

In the meantime, have you considered renting a room? Or perhaps renting a place with a roommate? Generally, these are much cheaper options than renting on your own.

Good Luck!

Old 12-25-2010, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 27,002 times
I applied for nycha 4yrs ago and just got called,its basically a lottery in a sense. i am married with a 4yr old and a child on the way, I just did my first interview in JULY 2010. Just this week they finally sent me a list of projects to choose from according to my apt size, now i have to wait for the background check to clear and then go on a list of that specific projects to wait till an apt of my size opens up, that can take months,even years. Housing rent is 30% of your income... hope i helped...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM

31 posts, read 129,168 times
Hi,

You can get an application through NYCHA website - they finally had the sense to put it on line - print it fill it out and send it in you have nothing to lose. My nephew applied in March 2011 and has a verification interview on July 20, 2011. What I notice about NYCHA is that everyone's case is different. One you get the interview check and are asked to choose, I would pick a development that has a good neighborhood, like Gowanus in Brooklyn is in a great neighborhood. So are the developments by fort green park because that whole section has been renovated. It is also true you can go through HBD website and lookup current lotteries but unless you get lucky they are not any faster but, again you have nothing to loose.

Also if I'm not mistaken NYCHA has more 1 bedroom apartments and studios empty then 2 or more bedrooms which is why I believe the computer pulled my nephew and maybe you'll luck up the same.

I don't know about Queens but in brooklyn Gowanus is pretty good based on the fact that it is in a great neighborhool also the developments around metro tech area in Brooklyn across Fort Green park. However, I 'm sure if you ask someone else you'll get a different responses. In Manhattan I like Smith Housing which is really known as Alfred E. Smith Housing they are located right behind one police plaza and that should say it all but in order to get in they have a tenant association that interviews you and approves if you can live there.

Also regular apts in the Bronx are cheaper then most other Brough so maybe you should check it out.

Last edited by bmarin72; 07-12-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 PM

337 posts, read 968,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedNYer View Post
Ok. I'll get straight to the point. I'm 25 yrs old. I've been living on my own for a yr now ever since my parents left the country on retirement. (Lucky them!!) I'm struggling paying bills, loans, especially rent. I've been thinking about applying to NYCHA. I don't know how it works. I've checked their site, but I'd like some feedback from anyone who's applied, or who already lives in any of the NYCHA developments in NYC. I've lived in NYC my entire life, NEVER in the projects. Everyone is telling me I must be crazy to be thinking about living in the projects, but I need to start saving money and get back on my feet. I don't know what else to do? I'm single, work full time, no kids, but I can't afford to live in a decent one bedroom apartment here in Queens. Rent is ridiculous!! UGH!!
-Is living in housing any cheaper then regular rent?
-Being that I will be applying to live alone, are my chances of getting a place lower or higher compared to these other big families?
-If I apply, do you think I will EVERRR hear a reply any time soon???
-I've lived in Queens my entire life in a decent area, Jackson Heights. I honestly wouldn't mind living in another borough. I have extremely tough skin. Not afraid of much! Let's say I do apply, which housing developments do u guys recommend?? I don't need a list of the BEST ONES that will take YEARS to get into....I know about the good ones here in Queens but It'll be years to hear from there. but any OK ones, maybe in Brooklyn (if any? lol). (I'm a young Hispanic, born here, I'm used to the ethnic diversity, and 'craziness'- I know what to expect. Which ones in any other borough out of Queens are the better/okay ones where I don't have to fear for my life when I step out BUT are a bit faster to get into???
I have so many questions, but if anyone can answer these please help me. And feel free to let me know about ANYTHING else!!! THANK YOUUUUU!!!
Sounds like you're going backwards. Do your parents know your plans? Are you from the pj's? Unless you're one of the hood ghetto type hispanics you wouldn't like it. Find a roomate or move in with a cousin. I'm sure your parents didn't come here to raise kids to live in the projects. It's nice you appreciate diversity but do you want to live near people who don't work,loiter,urinate in elevators and hallways,and don't obey laws. Do you know how many sex offenders live in public housing.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Find a roommate!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,894 times
I think it is a very long wait to get housing through them. You may not qualify. So with that, I would find a less expensive place to live or like the op stated get a roomie.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,049 times
Thumbs down stupid comment made about hispanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Sounds like you're going backwards. Do your parents know your plans? Are you from the pj's? Unless you're one of the hood ghetto type hispanics you wouldn't like it. Find a roomate or move in with a cousin. I'm sure your parents didn't come here to raise kids to live in the projects. It's nice you appreciate diversity but do you want to live near people who don't work,loiter,urinate in elevators and hallways,and don't obey laws. Do you know how many sex offenders live in public housing.
why would you say such a thing? what are you 12?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 AM

8 posts, read 23,121 times
i know that working families and ppl with n0 or n1 priority get called faster and tyour single so your chances maybe good but its still along wait.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,437 times
Do you think you could do better outside NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City