U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 33,634 times

Advertisements

I'm an Australian and we have moved here to Brooklyn. I am a qualified teacher in Australia, and my husband is pushing me to get a teaching job here. (I teach primary school. ie up to year 6).

I am trying to figure out the process and it is all a bit ovewhelming. I understand that to teach in the state system I have to go through the whole certification process regardless of almost 10 years of experience. I've heard that I might be able to teach in private schools with my current qualifications, but I am having trouble finding information to support that.

Is there anyone out there who is or has been in a similar situation who could give me a little insight.

Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,844,037 times
Yeah if you want to teach at a Catholic parochial school or another private school I don't think you need to jump thru any more hoops, just send in some resumes. The pay and benefits for private schools aren't nearly as good as they are for public schools though.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 AM

52 posts, read 210,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah if you want to teach at a Catholic parochial school or another private school I don't think you need to jump thru any more hoops, just send in some resumes. The pay and benefits for private schools aren't nearly as good as they are for public schools though.
Yeah, but she just might enjoy actually teaching instead of being a classroom manager. And if her husband is pulling in the majority of the shared income, why not? Mead's right. Go for the private school.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 AM

314 posts, read 443,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leish View Post
I'm an Australian and we have moved here to Brooklyn. I am a qualified teacher in Australia, and my husband is pushing me to get a teaching job here. (I teach primary school. ie up to year 6).

I am trying to figure out the process and it is all a bit ovewhelming. I understand that to teach in the state system I have to go through the whole certification process regardless of almost 10 years of experience. I've heard that I might be able to teach in private schools with my current qualifications, but I am having trouble finding information to support that.

Is there anyone out there who is or has been in a similar situation who could give me a little insight.

Thanks for your help.
i taught in a title I nyc public school for 3 years. it was challenging, but i enjoyed it. some people will throw a bunch of horror stories at you about the nyc public school system, but it's really more about you and how you play the cards you're dealt there. i taught math in an ultra-ghetto high school to 9th graders, including 2 double-period classes of special ed. kids. it doesn't get much worse than that. but, i have very positive things to say about the experience. so, if teaching in a nyc public school is something you want to do, you should go for it. now for the restrictions. you're right when you say that the nycboe probably isn't going to accredit your teaching experience. i recommend getting all your school transcripts, end year evaluations, etc. together and making an appointment with the boe. i think they are still in brooklyn on court st. be prepared to spend all day there, and bring a book because you will probably be waiting for the majority of the time there. but, they will be able to tell you where you stand. you also might want to consider an alternative certification route. that is how i became a teacher. i think the nyc teaching fellows is a good program, although fairly competitive to get into. of course, private schools, parochial schools are options. the pay is worse; the benefits are worse. i suggest getting all the facts about becoming an nyc public school teacher before making any decisions.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 16,918 times
I have also been looking around for my husband to come here to teach and he has the necessary qualifications. I however want to know if you get a job in a private school can you move over to the public school? Will the private school give you the necessary papers i.e. working papers/green card etc?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:37 PM

11,149 posts, read 15,125,996 times
I don't have any first-hand information, but I'd be surprised if a private school would provide working papers unless it simply can't find anyone locally to handle whatever subject your husband teaches.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 PM

9,083 posts, read 22,615,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
..... The pay and benefits for private schools aren't nearly as good as they are for public schools though.
This is not usually the case.While I am not sure about the pay scales at parochial schools,teachers generally get paid more at private schools, at least in New York City.Teachers in the suburbs are also paid quite a bit more than NYC teachers.The average starting teacher salary in the city schools is about $38,000.I know people who have started teaching recently at private schools at over $50,000.

I am a NYC teacher(11 years) and I have been offered 30% and 40% more to teach on Long Island and at a couple of private schools here in the city.

The benefits that everyone thinks are so great have more to do with retirement than anything else and are only there after you have worked for 25 years.18% of NYC teachers don't make it to their 2nd year,25% are gone after 2 years and 50% are gone within 5 years.So most never see those benefits.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 16,341 times
I am just starting out as a new graduate teacher. I have completed 4 years at university and completed my bachelors degree in Australia. I am wanting to come over and work in New York so can anyone give me some starting pointers in to how i go about trying to get my first job in the big city My methods are PE/HEALTH.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:10 PM

9,083 posts, read 22,615,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemin23 View Post
I am just starting out as a new graduate teacher. I have completed 4 years at university and completed my bachelors degree in Australia. I am wanting to come over and work in New York so can anyone give me some starting pointers in to how i go about trying to get my first job in the big city My methods are PE/HEALTH.
Not a good time to be looking for a teaching job in NYC,at least not in the public system.Perhaps the prospects would be better at private schools but it would be difficult long distance and I'm sure there are people here jumping at any openings.
Maybe when the economy improves.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:16 AM

38,799 posts, read 39,045,168 times
I believe that with a B.A. degree a person can get temporary/substitute teaching jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>