Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 PM

515 posts, read 875,370 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/bu...reet.html?_r=0

Goldman Sachs analyst found dead hours after complaining to father of '100 hour weeks' - Americas - World - The Independent

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:28 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
No sympathy really.Wall street hours are legendary and have been forever.That's one of the reasons they get paid so much and then get $500,000 bonuses which are more than most people make in 10 years.

If the hours are too much all you have to do is say no and get another job.

Some people can handle the hours,some can't. One should know oneself.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:31 PM

159 posts, read 279,541 times
He could've easily put in his 2 weeks notice and left.

The dude had a degree from an Ivy League college, he could've easily found another good job...Yeah, it probably wouldn't be as much as Sachs but probably still over 6 figures..

Proof that even an Ivy League education can't even give someone common sense

Old 06-03-2015, 05:32 PM

202 posts, read 221,312 times
Goldman Sachs let people work Sundays but not Saturdays.

However, with Lloyd Blankfein steering the ship it's not so surprising.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaferOne View Post
Goldman Sachs let people work Sundays but not Saturdays.

However, with Lloyd Blankfein steering the ship it's not so surprising.
I guess they don't have Sabbath mode elevators at The Goldman Sachs Tower.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:43 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
If the hours are too much all you have to do is say no and get another job.
Don't be silly, clearly the guy from India was on a work visa and feared if he quit his job they will ship him back to India. For the first time in his life he felt like he was a failure and his dream of succeeding in america would come to an end. Who knows what type of financial pressure he was on to accept the high paying job, but what is clear is once he accepted he was trapped by the job. His father didn't help the situation by reminding the young kid of the consequence of quitting and encouraging to continue to power through it.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Don't be silly, clearly the guy from India was on a work visa and feared if he quit his job they will ship him back to India. For the first time in his life he felt like he was a failure and his dream of succeeding in america would come to an end. Who knows what type of financial pressure he was on to accept the high paying job, but what is clear is once he accepted he was trapped by the job. His father didn't help the situation by reminding the young kid of the consequence of quitting and encouraging to continue to power through it.
I guess it depends on which version of the story one reads.

Goldman Sachs analyst found dead hours after complaining to father of '100 hour weeks' - Americas - World - The Independent

“He calls us and says, ‘It is too much. I have not slept for two days, have a client meeting tomorrow morning, have to complete a presentation, my VP is annoyed and I am working alone in my office’, ” his father wrote.

He added: “I got furious. ‘Take 15 days leave and come home,’ I said. He quipped, ‘They will not allow.’ I said, ‘Tell them to consider this as your resignation letter.’ ”

Did the father urge him to press on or urge him to resign ?

Regardless, I don't believe there is any such thing as being trapped by a job.Most people don't kill themselves when they get to the point where they realize a dream might be out of reach. People who are unstable for other reasons kill themselves.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:10 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on which version of the story one reads.
NY Times version has more details.

Quote:
Did the father urge him to press on or urge him to resign ?
Below confirms he is not a US citizen.
Quote:
The graduate of the University of Pennsylvania who was born in New Delhi, told his father, Sunil: “This job is not for me. Too much work and too little time.”
Below confirms his father asked him to reconsider.
Quote:
In March, against his father’s wishes, Mr. Gupta quit. However, a week later,“By a quirk of fate, he was asked by his company to reconsider his resignation and under pressure from me, he rejoined,” his father wrote in an essay. Others at Goldman said he asked for his job back.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:13 PM

159 posts, read 279,541 times
With an American degree, ESPECIALLY an Ivy degree, he could've found amazing employment back home also

Old 06-03-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
NY Times version has more details.

Below confirms he is not a US citizen.

Below confirms his father asked him to reconsider.
Yes,I read both stories but it isn't just that one "version provides more details" as you say .The two versions contradict each other quite sharply.

Don't know what not being a US citizen has to do with anything. Millions are here on student and work visas and perform under extremely stressful circumstances and spectacular failures but don't kill themselves.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-03-2015 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City