Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,993 times

Advertisements

Ok i have found my studio apt there in the Manhatten area with the help of the broker service i went through and i done the following thing to get the place .

1-give them copys of the check stubs

2-taxs and bank statement..i can understand the bank statement but the taxs statement i do not think they need to know about my taxs and what i pay to uncle sam and the state of Ca in taxs..

3-give them my letter from my work and it work history for the company

4-credit check has been done and approved

5-letter from landlord who i rent from now

6-professional references from people i know

on tues morning when beening shown the studio by the broker and landlord i was asked a question that really caught me off guard and i wondering if that hurt my chances for the place ..for i liked the place for it about a 20 mins walk to the place where we where looking to open up at in the area and it works for me and my lifestyle ..

before i left to come back home on tues night .. i give the broker the casher check for the rent and the depost to give the landlord if i get the place ..

but here is the question was a stange one at the time to me for i never once been asked this question about this area ever before in renting apt ..

for i was ask if i was going to have overnight guest stay with me at the time i was with the broker and the broker was a little taken back by the question also ..

i told the landlord in a very nice way that it my personal business not to discuss something like that with a outside person who is not in our relationship ...

so did i make a mistake and saying that statement to the landlord.. i call my landlord out here in Ca and asked them that question and he told me in all the years of renting to people he never asked someone about overnight guests ..he thinkings the person was beening a snope and you did right by not answering the question but puting it in a nice way to go ---off and not tell the person ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 03:19 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,293 times
If the LL doesn't go through with the lease for that reason, you don't want to live there anyway. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Was this in an apartment or a house?

And honestly you really need to work on your grammar and spelling I had a hard time understanding your post.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 PM

so is that a normal question for those who rent in big apple ..it is a apt

Old 11-27-2010, 04:21 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Maybe he thinks you are planning on sharing your apartment when he only wants one person living there. Maybe it's a zoning law. I wasn't asked that.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Maybe he thinks you are planning on sharing your apartment when he only wants one person living there. Maybe it's a zoning law. I wasn't asked that.

i did call someone who i knew from the old days in Vegas who has rentals apts back in the big apple and ask them the same question i was asked by this person .. he said that he never asked about overnight guest in the place for his comment that single people are going to have a overnight guest dureing the month ....

the place is at 350 square foot studio for it big enough for my futon mattress and desk for the computer and that about it in the place..

Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
look elsewhere.

I see potential problems here.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Please learn to spell and use the English language correctly. It's darn near-impossible to read any of your posts.

That is a strange question. No NYC landlord ever asked me that.

Also, re: providing your tax returns, if you decide not to provide them, you may never find any apartment in NYC.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Technically, he was wrong to ask, and your answer was proper. You are legally entitled to have over whoever you like. However, he may, of course, take offense and choose not to rent to you. If this happens, I suggest that you send a complaint notifying whatever the right city office might be - you could start by asking Consumer Affairs. However, as Ohio Girl says, make sure you have any letter proofread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: