U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:20 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,172,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
As for Williamsbridge, that used to be a poor WHITE neighborhood.
FYI: The poster meant WilliamsBURG in Bk, not WilliamsBRIDGE in the Bronx. Primarly a working class white neighborhood until PR's moved in from the LES in the late 60's early 70's and Dominicans in the 80's. Drugs hit the South Side section hard on the 70's/80's. Now it's mostly Mexicans moving in and yuppies. A "success" story w/out a plot...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 05:17 AM

842 posts, read 4,072,336 times
Default Observations

I work in the Bronx along Allerton Ave at a clothing store. We sell casual clothes for both men and women. We are a hip hop/ residential themed business and most of our customers are long-time residents of the neighborhood. We cater mostly to the more mature crowd but about 30% of our customers are young people. What I had noticed about the males were that the baggy thuggish t-shirts and jeans with a doorag were not attracting the right kind of people. These days, I see young males dress in tighter jeans with tighter shirts. They look fresh, you know? No more ghetto. More ghetto fabolous. I think these kids are on a more straight path. They get more girls, they are more likely to be educated, and eventually (they know) they will survive to become successful.

Just an observation from the Bronx

Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,281,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
I work in the Bronx along Allerton Ave at a clothing store. We sell casual clothes for both men and women. We are a hip hop/ residential themed business and most of our customers are long-time residents of the neighborhood. We cater mostly to the more mature crowd but about 30% of our customers are young people. What I had noticed about the males were that the baggy thuggish t-shirts and jeans with a doorag were not attracting the right kind of people. These days, I see young males dress in tighter jeans with tighter shirts. They look fresh, you know? No more ghetto. More ghetto fabolous. I think these kids are on a more straight path. They get more girls, they are more likely to be educated, and eventually (they know) they will survive to become successful.

Just an observation from the Bronx
The tight clothes style is popular among Dominican and Jamaican teens. It's a very new style of dress. They do get hell for it in heavy African American/Puerto Rican areas though.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 6,657,429 times
Quote:
The tight clothes style is popular among Dominican and Jamaican teens. It's a very new style of dress. They do get hell for it in heavy African American/Puerto Rican areas though.
1) Where did the thought "gettin' hell from AA/PR areas" come from?
2) African Americans and Puerto Ricans are leaving the city, and may not be the majority "of color" population anymore! Which means, more than likely, that the other groups "new style of dress" will stick!

Old 07-28-2007, 03:47 AM

842 posts, read 4,072,336 times
Default The truth about crime in NYC

I just had to re-open this thread.
Check out this link I found- for everyone who wonders "Is this a safe area?"

Homicides and Crime in New York City - New York Times Interactive Graphic

Old 07-28-2007, 04:55 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,281,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
I just had to re-open this thread.
Check out this link I found- for everyone who wonders "Is this a safe area?"

Homicides and Crime in New York City - New York Times Interactive Graphic
No surprises there. Usual areas.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 PM

170 posts, read 709,657 times
Quote:
The truth is... It all depends on who you are.

Although the homicide/crime rate in NYC is lower then many major American cities, the rate of killings/crime among African Americans and Puerto Rican males in NYC is about the same as high crime cities. It is as high a rate for the same groups in cities such as Newark NJ or Philly. African American/Puerto Rican homicide rates in poor inner city communities across the USA are virtually the same. In the 100's per 100,000.

This is a fact. It is not racial, but has a lot to do with poverty and the Hip Hop culture.

If NYC were to instantly loose all it's immigrants. Not only would our population be lower then the 1970's but we would have one of the highest crime/murder rates in the country. Right up there with Philly and Detroit. Areas like the South Bronx and Harlem would also still be miles of non stop abandoned buildings and vacant lots due to the loss in population (these areas experanced the biggest population gains thanks to immigrants, filled in most of the shells that litted these areas in the 1970's).

Legal immigrants have lowered the crime/murder rate in NYC by offsetting the stats. Immigrants are less likely to be murder victims then these two groups. There was once a time when being Latino in NYC ment being Puerto Rican, and Black African American.

Other cities like Newark and Philly are not attracting these immigrants. In Philly for example which is looking to be the murder and crime capital of the country next year, the city is not only loosing population but not attracting immigrants. The Blacks there are African American, the Latinos are Puerto Rican.

NYC is a city of different worlds. One of the most segregated cities in terms of race and income in the USA. If your a young African American or Puerto Rican male, NYC can be hell. If your a White female or Asian it can be a dream come true. Two completely different worlds.

I also forgot to mention, has crime dropped. Yes. Across the country crime has dropped for all these groups. That is if you compare it to the crack epidemic. It's still commited at unacceptable levels for all though, especially African American and Puerto Rican males. For African Americans/PR's it went from really bad, to bad. Not much of an improvement. Still a serious problem. However in recent years we have began to see a new slow but steady rise in crime. Growth in the gap between rich and poor? Hip Hop encouragement? More youth incacerated? Yet another generation in poverty? I don't know. What I do know is poverty has a link along with increasing numbers of broken families.

Another statement to be made. Why is the citywide homicide rate in NYC still slowly going down? The African American and Puerto Rican populations are slowly dropping. Further backs my theory.

This is based on my observations. My background includes law enforcement and growing up in a poor community of color. It's a real shame but something must be done and nothing has been.

I also want to add in unfortunately some of the younger immigrants, mostly those born here. Mexican and Dominicans who's parents were not able to get them out of the high crime problematic neighborhoods are starting to inherit the same problems. That also may play a part in rising crime rates. Hopefully they will not fall into the trap of generational poverty many African Americans and Puerto Ricans have. This is why it is not wise to move into high poverty/crime neighborhoods, especially if you have children.

wow some people go through tremendous lengths to make one of americas safest cities look dangerous. one question, why do you bother, is it because you want to feel tough or something

Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 PM

146 posts, read 649,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich renter View Post
wow some people go through tremendous lengths to make one of americas safest cities look dangerous. one question, why do you bother, is it because you want to feel tough or something
I don't think he's just trying to make a safe city look dangerous. I think the point needs to be made that crime in NY isn't necessarily qualitatively different than it is anywhere else. Because of the city's importance as a financial and immigrant hub, etc., it's managed to attract lots of people that are less likely to commit crimes, who have driven up the cost of living and crowded out those who are more likely to commit crime. But the problem areas that remain might be just as bad as the problem areas anywhere else. So, we can pat ourselves on the back for having such a great, safe, city, or we can realize that what we may in fact be doing is shifting the problem elsewhere.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:00 AM

473 posts, read 1,570,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
By contrast, I just bought a coop in the Bronx where the residents are predominantly middle class blacks. Very friendly, decent people--along with some elderly folks. .....
well where is this? because I tell you what, there are not many decent predominantly black areas in the bx. I have had to settle for something not too bad but not too great because to move into a somewhat good neighborhood usually means i'll be the minority and end up catching stupid stares which i detest.

One thing you guys didn't address is what happens to the black college graduate population in nyc? do they just move into "white hoods" ? is that why the good black/hispanic hoods are non-existent basically?

hustla, where is a working class black kid in the bx supposed to go? yeh there are many places where u can rent and live decently but the moment you stand out as somewhat "better than most" in the hood, you're about to a robbery victim and It's so annoying.

oh yeh and the tight clothes thing is really heavy in the north bronx. how many people have seen the tight jeans sag? lol that's a bit funny i must admit.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
Hi i am thinking of moveing to new york from britain where will be the safe's place to live.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or