U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 AM

9,856 posts, read 23,027,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
well where is this? because I tell you what, there are not many decent predominantly black areas in the bx. I have had to settle for something not too bad but not too great because to move into a somewhat good neighborhood usually means i'll be the minority and end up catching stupid stares which i detest.

One thing you guys didn't address is what happens to the black college graduate population in nyc? do they just move into "white hoods" ? is that why the good black/hispanic hoods are non-existent basically?

hustla, where is a working class black kid in the bx supposed to go? yeh there are many places where u can rent and live decently but the moment you stand out as somewhat "better than most" in the hood, you're about to a robbery victim and It's so annoying.

oh yeh and the tight clothes thing is really heavy in the north bronx. how many people have seen the tight jeans sag? lol that's a bit funny i must admit.
Seems to me like the tight jeans are here to stay for a while. I see less and less younger people with baggy jeans these days. From all backgrounds too. The tight jean sag thing is retarded to me because if your gonna go tight, go tight, don't try to do some halfway cop-out type of thing and it looks uncomfortable as hell too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 PM

216 posts, read 920,808 times
what is up with that style ? ive seen it lately in numerous places in the bx. at first i thought it was b/c they couldnt afford the better baggy brands so they just wore their tight jeans sagged down lol, but i guess its a trend (?). i think it looks retarded lol.

as for me, i like them a bit roomy (but not baggy) with a mild bootcut bottom.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 AM

35 posts, read 173,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
what is up with that style ? ive seen it lately in numerous places in the bx. at first i thought it was b/c they couldnt afford the better baggy brands so they just wore their tight jeans sagged down lol, but i guess its a trend (?). i think it looks retarded lol.

as for me, i like them a bit roomy (but not baggy) with a mild bootcut bottom.
It's a Jamaican trend...

Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,181 times
Arrow it is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
What I'm sick of is the usual "The system/man holds me down" attitude. Is life hard? Sure. I grew up poor too. Many Europeans coming to America had ****. Absolute ****. Yet this stuff didn't go on.

I feel for the child that sells crack becuase he has to eat. Such is the tragedy of the brutal capitalist system we have chosen. Yet, with all the ways we try to remedy this brutality, it gets thrown back in our face as the homicide rate keeps rising. And then the kicker: "It's whitey's fault".

No. This is the story of a society where masculinity has gone out of control. When the likes of Charles Barrone and Al Sharpton frame your world view, it's hard to see hope in anything.

It's enough to make one wonder who we all are as a species. Where is the church/god in these communites?
------------------------------------------------------------------
That's not fact. crime went down in the city when there where good jobs, and I've never heard whiteys name invoked (except by those named above) . They do blame the "system" though. crime has been and always will be. murder is a different story. i don't have alot if given the oportunity when my life is in danger, i will defend my self regaurdless of what my profession may be. let nyc resident carry guns if thier not felons. you hear about police protecting them selves every week(offduty) and are called hero but when the working POOR (and they do work) defend themselves its at another tone of voice. prion is a place for rapist and child moleters and murders and bullys see the grave early. thiefs should be delt with by the community

Old 09-10-2008, 07:02 PM

5,680 posts, read 18,384,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowtail View Post
It's a Jamaican trend...
Dominican trend too.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 PM

473 posts, read 1,569,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dominican trend too.
bitten from the jamaicans I'm NOT jamaican btw

Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM

9,856 posts, read 23,027,294 times
I don't know who started it first but Dominican dudes were rocking the tight pants and tighter clothes in general, the v-neck tees, the tees with crazy designs, the flashy belts, all that way before it became really popular. I remember seeing that and thinking what the heck, but look now a bunch of people are doing it. A lot of those dudes were like FOB Dominicans too, and trust me they don't know too many Jamaicans.

Before this stuff became more popular, a lot of my friends would joke around and say, "Damn you look mad Dominican..." if one of us dressed like that.

Jamaicans as long as I can remember have always been into crazy colorful clothes though. They definitely were the originators on that for sure.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 AM

40,051 posts, read 31,586,502 times
So it was the Jamaicans with the colorful clothes and not, say, the wild Hawaiian shirts that were popular in the 1960s? (We won't even say anything about "psychedelic" patterns--a word you don't hear any more!)

As to tight pants, I believe those were also popular in the 1950s.

The operative phrase is, what goes around comes around. Or, if you want to paraphrase from the Biblical, there's not much new under the sun.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
Default late to the game response

Everything said previously is valid, but what seems to be lacking is criticism about how these areas where we're seeing the turnover from black/Puerto Rican to foreign born immigrants from Mexico, DR, Central America, and South Asia haven't had and still are missing adequate services, most notably quality schools and other educational/cultural institutions to serve the needs of the chidlren of the new community members as well as those who haven't yet made it out the 'hood. Also, what's becoming of the African-Americans/Puerto Ricans who're leaving the old neighborhoods? I think we know that despite the booming economy of recent memory and the incessant obnoxious display of material wealth by commercial Hip-Hop, collectively we have not been thriving. Where are we seeing increasing numbers of Blacks and Puerto Ricans and how much better of a job at serving these growing communities are these places doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or